Volume change when liquid goes to solid.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of deriving an equation to predict the increase in volume when a liquid transitions to a solid state. It is noted that most liquids decrease in volume when becoming solid, with water being an exception. The importance of understanding the enthalpy of fusion and pressure-temperature diagram is mentioned, and it is suggested to look up the density change for specific materials. The conversation then focuses on deriving an equation for water turning into ice, using the slope of the PT diagram and knowledge of transition temperature and specific heat of fusion to calculate energy and density change. However, one of the speakers admits to having difficulty with this due to a lack of expertise in thermodynamics.
ladil
Hello!

I need some help regarding a simple matter...

How do I derive an equation for the increase in volume when a liquid goes to a solid state when I know the density of the liquid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most liquids reduce volume when they become solid. Water is one of the very few exceptions. Between the enthalpy of fusion and pressure-temperature diagram, you might be able to get an estimate, but generally, density change at phase transition is something you need to look up for specific material.

ok. Thanks for the help. Ill check it out.
Lets say it is water that becomes ice. Is there any easy way to derive an equation for predicting the increase in volume?

The slope of the PT diagram should tell you how much the entropy changes at transition, and knowing transition temperature and specific heat of fusion, you should be able to figure out how much energy goes into volume changed at given pressure, which should give you the density change. But I'm having a bit of trouble deriving this. Sorry, thermodynamics has never been my strong field.

Hello there! This is an interesting question and can be approached in a few different ways. One way to derive an equation for the volume change when a liquid goes to a solid state is by using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which relates the change in volume to the change in temperature and the enthalpy of fusion (the energy required for a substance to change from a liquid to a solid state). Another approach is to use the specific volume of the liquid and solid states, which can be found in a thermodynamic table, and calculate the difference between the two. I would recommend consulting a thermodynamics textbook or speaking with a thermodynamics expert for a more detailed and accurate explanation. I hope this helps!

Related to Volume change when liquid goes to solid.

What causes volume change when a liquid goes to solid?

The volume change that occurs when a liquid changes to a solid is due to the difference in molecular arrangement between the two states. In a liquid, the molecules are more free to move and are not as tightly packed as in a solid state. When the liquid cools and solidifies, the molecules arrange themselves into a more structured and compact form, resulting in a decrease in volume.

Does the volume change occur at a specific temperature?

Yes, the volume change when a liquid goes to solid occurs at a specific temperature known as the freezing point. This temperature is different for each substance and is dependent on factors such as pressure and impurities present in the liquid.

Can a liquid expand when it freezes?

Yes, it is possible for a liquid to expand when it freezes. This is because of the unique molecular arrangement of water molecules. When water freezes, the molecules form a crystalline structure, which takes up more space than when they are in a liquid state. This expansion is why ice floats on water.

What factors can affect the volume change when a liquid goes to solid?

The volume change when a liquid goes to solid can be affected by various factors such as the type of substance, pressure, impurities, and the rate of cooling. Different substances have different molecular arrangements, which can result in varying volume changes. Pressure can also impact the freezing point and thus affect the volume change. Impurities can also interfere with the molecular arrangement and affect the volume change. Finally, the rate of cooling can impact the volume change as faster cooling can result in a more compact structure and a greater decrease in volume.

Is the volume change reversible?

No, the volume change when a liquid goes to solid is not reversible. Once a liquid has solidified, it will retain its new volume even if it is heated back to its melting point. This is because the molecules have already formed a new, more compact arrangement that cannot be easily undone.