Volume and Area in physical equations

In summary, the first possibility is that the author knows a proof which does not require assumptions about the shape of the region, but this is not published in books. The second possibility is that there is a general theorem which says that any formula proved for a particular shape, is true for all shapes. However, this theorem is not trivial to prove, and is only valid for certain types of integrals.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In some parts of the physics,sometimes it happens that the volume of a region of space or the area of a surface enters into a formula.In such situations,most of the time,the author argues that "although I have derived this formula for such a shape,it is independent of the shape of the region/surface". For example the formula for Fermi energy.In textbooks a cube is considered for the proof but at the end,the volume is simply put there and every one seems to be fine with it.
Now I can imagine only two possibilities:
1-The author(or any other physicist)knows a proof which doesn't need any assumption about the shape.
2-There is a general theorem which says any formula proved for a particular shape,is true for all shapes!
I know the 2nd possibility seems weird,but well...Its not that unreasonable to be impossible!
Anyway,I want to know if the first possibility is correct, are those proofs published in books as the ones dependent on the shape?
And if the second possibility is correct,I'm just longing to know about that magical theorem!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shyan! :smile:
Shyan said:
In some parts of the physics,sometimes it happens that the volume of a region of space or the area of a surface enters into a formula.In such situations,most of the time,the author argues that "although I have derived this formula for such a shape,it is independent of the shape of the region/surface".

It's basically a theorem that the ancient greeks used …

they knew they could approximate an area by dividing it into tiny rectangles and adding their areas, and taking the limit as the rectangles get tinier.

It doesn't matter how you divide it into rectangles (or other shapes, like fish! :wink:), the limit is always the same.

If you want to know the temperature or the mass or something else of a region, you can divide it into tiny cubes, and the same theorem says that the limit will give you the correct answer.

Of course, a mathematician would say that you need the temperature, mass, etc to be a sufficiently continuous function: but a physicist can normally safely assume this to be true.

When it isn't, ie when there's a singularity, that's usually obvious from the physical description, and won't mislead anyone … eg if the electromagnetic field isn't sufficiently continuous, then we say that there's a charge, and we adapt the formula by adding a special term involving charge! :smile:

Happy new year to both and thanks...
And jt, your fishial(!) elements are cool but I suggest don't use them in proving any formula!:wink:

Anyway, your answer seems reasonable about problems involving a kind of integration but its validity for calculating the Fermi energy of electrons in a region of space with arbitrary shape is far from trivial!
I mean, I just can't say: " if I can divide the space into little cubes and the formula for Fermi energy of electrons in each cube is like this,then the formula for a region of space of any shape is the same!"
One thing that may be making me doubt is the the example of an infinite well in QM.Just consider that the well is not rectangular and has a little curvature at the edges.As I remember, such a problem needs a reconsideration which is usually done by perturbation theory.

Related to Volume and Area in physical equations

1. What is the difference between volume and area?

Volume refers to the amount of space occupied by an object in three dimensions, while area refers to the measure of the surface of an object in two dimensions.

2. How are volume and area related in physical equations?

In physical equations, volume and area are often related through the use of specific formulas and measurements. For example, the volume of a rectangular prism can be calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height, while the area of one of its faces can be calculated by multiplying the length and width.

3. Can the units of measurement affect the calculations of volume and area?

Yes, the units of measurement used can affect the calculations of volume and area. It is important to use consistent units when calculating these quantities to ensure accurate results. For example, if the length is measured in inches, the width and height should also be measured in inches.

4. How do you calculate the volume and area of irregular shapes?

For irregular shapes, the volume and area can be calculated by breaking the shape into smaller, more manageable shapes. The volume can be approximated by dividing the shape into smaller cubes and adding their volumes together. The area can be approximated by dividing the shape into smaller rectangles and adding their areas together.

5. What are some real-life applications of volume and area in physical equations?

Volume and area are used in a wide range of real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a swimming pool, the area of a room for flooring or painting, and the volume of a container for packaging and shipping. They are also important in fields such as architecture, engineering, and construction for designing and building structures with specific dimensions and capacities.