Voltage of electrochemical cell

In summary, The conversation is about an electrochemical cell made of zinc and copper in sulfuric acid. The question is whether the cell produces a voltage based on the potential difference between copper and zinc (the electrodes) or between zinc and hydrogen (the reaction that occurs). The person is also practicing their English and a link to a lemon battery is provided. The response clarifies that the voltage is dependent on the composition of the electrodes, not the ion carriers in the electrolyte.
Gavroy
hi

i was wondering if somebody of you knows something about this stuff?

it is about an electrochemical cell that is made of zinc and copper in sulfuric acid.

now the reaction is: Zn-> Zn(2+)+2e-
2H+ + 2e- ->H2
my problem is, that i do not know whether this cell gives you a voltage that is the potential difference between copper and zinc, cause they are the electrodes or whether it gives you the potential difference between zinc and hydrogen, as this is the reaction that actually takes place?

sorry about my english, still practising ;-)

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Voltage of electrochemical cell

1. What is voltage of an electrochemical cell?

The voltage of an electrochemical cell is the measure of the potential difference between the two electrodes of the cell. It is a measure of the cell's ability to produce an electric current.

2. How is the voltage of an electrochemical cell calculated?

The voltage of an electrochemical cell can be calculated by subtracting the reduction potential of the cathode from the oxidation potential of the anode. It can also be calculated using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the reactants and products.

3. What factors affect the voltage of an electrochemical cell?

The voltage of an electrochemical cell is affected by the type of electrode materials used, the concentrations of the reactants and products, temperature, and the presence of any inhibitors or catalysts.

4. How does the voltage of an electrochemical cell change over time?

The voltage of an electrochemical cell may change over time due to the depletion of reactants, changes in temperature, and the build-up of reaction products on the electrodes. This is known as the cell's polarization and can cause a decrease in voltage.

5. What is the maximum voltage that can be produced by an electrochemical cell?

The maximum voltage that can be produced by an electrochemical cell is determined by the difference in reduction potentials of the reactants and products. It is also limited by the thermodynamic properties of the cell and any losses due to resistance in the circuit.