Voltage multiplier and spark gap design

In summary, the problem seems to be with the voltage multiplier, and it may be due to a problem with the spark gap.
rain2359
Hi,

I am currently working on high voltage system, where I need to create an impluse at the primary side of a potential transformer. I am trying to charge my circuit to at least 10kV using a half wave series voltage mutliper consisting of capacitors and diodes, and discharging them through spark gap.

Currently I had successfully charged my voltage multiplier to 7kV, however, I can't seem to obtain a high voltage impulse. Whenever I obtain an impulse the magnitude of the impulse is not 7kV, instead it is only 100plus volt. Also, after running the experiment for a few more round, I will not be able to obtain impulse anymore, instead there is a lot of noise and sparks.

I am wondering if anyone could help me, I would like to know if the problem actually lies in the spark gap used or with the voltage multiplier? May I know that will the cross sectional area of the spark gap play a part in obtaining a sharp impulse? What type of the spark gap is suitable for this experiment?

Thank you very much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the problem is with the multiplier. I don't know what your input voltage is, but if you simulate any multiplier circuit, you'll find that it takes several milli-seconds for the voltage to build up to the final voltage.

I am not entirely sure what the spark gap is doing here, but to get an impulse of 7KV is going to be difficuilt as you have to charge all the caps in the multiplier. How many stages of multiplication are you using?

Which mulplier are you using?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_multiplier

http://blazelabs.com/e-exp15.asp

I agree that it sounds like your multiplier is developing a problem -- either the diodes or the caps are getting leaky. Are you sure you are not violating their reverse voltage specs?

hi,
I am actually using 15 stages of multiplier, I am sure that I am not violating their reverse voltage spec, my input voltage is around 200V. May I know if there would be any problem if I were to continue to use this kind of multiplier? What are the other solutions that I can do? Thank you very much. :)

First of all 200V*15= 3KV only not 7KV.

Sometimes power supplies need to undergo a surge test upto 6KV. Perhaps you can look that up.

I'll post something when I find it.

hmm, but we measure the voltage, its 7kV ... but not 3kV... hmm..

rain2359 said:
hmm, but we measure the voltage, its 7kV ... but not 3kV... hmm..

Have you tried considering a charge pump instead of a voltage multiplier?

hmm.. can't actually use a charge pump, because the experiment is done in the lab and the lab does not have a charge pump, and can't buy it as well due to certain reason.

Had actually solved the problem, Thank everyone for your help. :)

rain2359 said:
hmm.. can't actually use a charge pump, because the experiment is done in the lab and the lab does not have a charge pump, and can't buy it as well due to certain reason.

Had actually solved the problem, Thank everyone for your help. :)

Charge pump was a bad idea. Sorry.

So, if it is solved can you post your circuit and a waveform? What probe/DMM are you using?

Thanks.

still trying to work out the MATLAB to see the waveform, need some help in MATLAB before i am able to post the waveform, when i draw the circuit out, shall post it here. Thanks.:)

Related to Voltage multiplier and spark gap design

1. What is a voltage multiplier?

A voltage multiplier is an electronic circuit that is used to increase the voltage of an AC power source. It consists of a series of capacitors and diodes that are connected in a ladder-like configuration to produce a higher output voltage than the input voltage.

2. How does a voltage multiplier work?

A voltage multiplier works by storing energy in its capacitors during the positive half of the input AC cycle, and then releasing that energy in the negative half of the cycle through a series of diode switches. This process is repeated multiple times, resulting in a higher output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a voltage multiplier?

The main advantage of using a voltage multiplier is that it can produce a high DC output voltage from a low AC input voltage, without the need for a transformer. This makes it a cost-effective solution for high voltage applications such as CRT displays, particle accelerators, and X-ray machines.

4. What is a spark gap and how is it used in voltage multiplier design?

A spark gap is a small air gap between two electrodes that allows high voltage electricity to jump across and create a spark. In voltage multiplier design, a spark gap is used as a safety mechanism to protect the circuit from excessive voltage. If the voltage exceeds a certain threshold, the spark gap will break down and discharge the excess voltage, preventing damage to the circuit.

5. What factors should be considered when designing a voltage multiplier and spark gap system?

When designing a voltage multiplier and spark gap system, factors such as the desired output voltage, input voltage, capacitor and diode ratings, and safety measures should be carefully considered. It is also important to ensure proper insulation and spacing between components to avoid arcing and potential electrical hazards.