Voltage in Circuit with Two Batteries and Six Resistors

In summary, the circuit contains six resistors and two batteries, with voltage values of V1 = 18 V and V2 = 12 V. The resistors have values of R1 = R5 = 40 Ω, R2 = R6 = 156 Ω, R3 = 69 Ω, and R4 = 113 Ω. The positive terminals are indicated with a + sign, and the positive directions for the currents I1, I2, and I3 are shown by the arrows. To find the voltage at R4, a system of equations must be created by making clockwise loops and considering junctions. The voltage across R4 is equal to the voltage across R5, which is equal
icesalmon

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with six resistors and two batteries as shown. The battery voltages are V1 = 18 V and V2 = 12 V. The positive terminals are indicated with a + sign, The values for the resistors are: R1 = R5 = 40 Ω, R2 = R6 = 156 Ω R3 = 69 Ω, and R4 = 113 Ω. The positive directions for the currents I1, I2 and I3 are indicated by the directions of the arrows.The First question asks me to find the voltage at R4
h10_twoloop.png

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't seeing any other way to find v4 than by making a loop for all three sections of the circuit
For the first loop I chose a clockwise orientation
-i3R3 - V1 +i1R1 = 0

For my second loop I chose another clockwise orientation
i2R2 - V2 - i6R6 + V1 + i3R3 = 0

and for the final loop I also choose a clockwise orientation
V2 -i5R5 - i4R4 = 0

Looking at the junction next to R2 I get one more equation
i2 - i3 = i1

Looking at junction B I get yet another, fifth, equation
i4 - i5 = i6

my problem is going to arise every time I have to label currents and come up with equations at junctions or loops. I understand how to create a system of equations using these but I will sometimes get solutions to the matrix with all my currents being zero. Also, I'm sometimes creating systems where I have Nx(N+2) rows and columns and I find that creates problems as well, I usually miss an equation. Any advice on how to fix these problems would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
icesalmon said:

Homework Statement

A circuit is constructed with six resistors and two batteries as shown. The battery voltages are V1 = 18 V and V2 = 12 V. The positive terminals are indicated with a + sign, The values for the resistors are: R1 = R5 = 40 Ω, R2 = R6 = 156 Ω R3 = 69 Ω, and R4 = 113 Ω. The positive directions for the currents I1, I2 and I3 are indicated by the directions of the arrows.The First question asks me to find the voltage at R4
h10_twoloop.png

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't seeing any other way to find v4 than by making a loop for all three sections of the circuit
For the first loop I chose a clockwise orientation
-i3R3 - V1 +i1R1 = 0

For my second loop I chose another clockwise orientation
i2R2 - V2 - i6R6 + V1 + i3R3 = 0

Indicate i6 in the figure.

icesalmon said:
and for the final loop I also choose a clockwise orientation
V2 -i5R5 - i4R4 = 0

Looking at junction the junction next to R2 I get one more equation
i2 - i3 = i1

Looking at junction B I get yet another, fifth, equation
i4 - i5 = i6

Note that i5 and i4 are the same, as r5 and r4 are connected in series.

Also note that the voltage across the series resultant of r4 and r5 is equal to V2, so it is very easy to answer the first question.

ehild

okay so i found R45 and calculated the voltage through it to be 8.86V

icesalmon said:
okay so i found R45 and calculated the voltage through it to be 8.86V
You mean the voltage across R4 is 8.86 V.

ehild

So I can't use an equivalent circuit using R45 as opposed to R4 and R5 for the rest of my questions?

icesalmon said:
So I can't use an equivalent circuit using R45 as opposed to R4 and R5 for the rest of my questions?
Probably can. What are the remaining questions? That 1st one was very easy (a trick question to catch anyone napping).

icesalmon said:
You can, but the voltage across R45 (which is R4+R5) is V2.
And you do not need to use R45 for the further calculations. It does not change anything if you omit it.
What you need, is the relation between I1, I3, I6 at node a.

ehild

okay I'm still confused about labeling currents on my diagram.

what do I call the currents coming out of batteries #1 and #2? It should matter because it will affect the equations at the nodes which will effect my system

I don't understand why you have I3 at node a, wouldn't that cancel the current coming out of R3 how can the battery produce current when the current always cancels over R3. If those currents do cancel, then I1 = I2 at the node to the left of R2.

icesalmon said:
I don't understand why you have I3 at node a, wouldn't that cancel the current coming out of R3 how can the battery produce current when the current always cancels over R3. If those currents do cancel, then I1 = I2 at the node to the left of R2.
The battery produces emf, that is, voltage. The same current flows through each element between two nodes. So I3 flows through R3, then through the battery, and enters into the node a. Name the currents between the nodes.

ehild

there's I3 in between the nodes through V1
I labeled current going through V2 I4

Last edited:
i1 + i6 = i3 at node a

icesalmon said:
i1 + i6 = i3 at node a
I1 and I3 both flow into the node a. If I6 flows into the node, too, I1+I3 +I6 =0.

ehild

Related to Voltage in Circuit with Two Batteries and Six Resistors

1. What is voltage in a circuit?

Voltage is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is often referred to as "electrical pressure" and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is voltage affected by two batteries in a circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage of each battery is added together. For example, if two batteries with a voltage of 1.5V are connected in series, the total voltage in the circuit will be 3V. In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same across each branch or resistor.

3. What role do resistors play in a circuit with two batteries?

Resistors are components in a circuit that limit the flow of current. In a circuit with two batteries, resistors help regulate the amount of voltage that is distributed throughout the circuit. They can also help prevent damage to other components by limiting the amount of current that flows through them.

4. How is the total voltage calculated in a circuit with two batteries and six resistors?

In a series circuit, the total voltage is calculated by adding together the voltage of each battery and the voltage drop across each resistor. In a parallel circuit, the total voltage remains the same across each branch.

5. Can the voltage in a circuit with two batteries and six resistors be increased?

Yes, the voltage in a circuit with two batteries and six resistors can be increased by adding more batteries in series. However, the voltage across each resistor will remain the same in a parallel circuit.