Voltage in a Non-Ideal Battery

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an internal resistance and an internal emf of 9 volts. The question asks for the actual voltage provided to the circuit, and the options range from 8.4 to 9.8 volts. The conversation also mentions using the equation V=IR and determining the current in the circuit. The solution involves finding the equivalent resistance and the potential difference across the dotted box.
sweetdion

Homework Statement

Given the following circuit:

Screenshot-1.png

What is the actual voltage provided to the circuit by the non-ideal battery if the internal resistance r = 0.50 ohms and the internal emf is 9.0 volts?

A. 9.8 V
B. 8.5 V
C. 9.0 V
D. 8.4 V
E. 8.8 V

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

First, do I determine the current in the circuit, I? Then,
Total resistance in circuit if battery was ideal = 9/I
9/I - .5= 9/I-.5 ohms. At I amps, the voltage would be (I amps x 9/I-.5) = how ever many V...

How do I calculate I?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sweetdion! :wink:

Find I by first finding the equivalent resistance (including r) …

then the effective (actual) voltage is the potential difference across that dotted box, which is V minus … ? :smile:

Related to Voltage in a Non-Ideal Battery

1. What is voltage in a non-ideal battery?

Voltage in a non-ideal battery refers to the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the battery, which is responsible for the movement of charges and the flow of current.

2. How does the voltage in a non-ideal battery differ from an ideal battery?

In an ideal battery, there would be no internal resistance and the voltage would remain constant regardless of the current drawn from the battery. In a non-ideal battery, there is internal resistance which leads to a decrease in voltage as the current increases.

3. What factors affect the voltage in a non-ideal battery?

The voltage in a non-ideal battery is affected by factors such as the internal resistance of the battery, the type and quality of materials used in the battery, and the temperature of the battery.

4. How can the voltage in a non-ideal battery be measured?

The voltage in a non-ideal battery can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected across the positive and negative terminals of the battery. The voltmeter will display the potential difference between the terminals, which is the voltage.

5. How can the voltage in a non-ideal battery be improved?

The voltage in a non-ideal battery can be improved by reducing the internal resistance of the battery through the use of higher quality materials, improving the design of the battery, and controlling the temperature of the battery. Additionally, using a voltage regulator can help maintain a constant voltage regardless of the current drawn from the battery.