Voltage drop question - need check/advice

In summary, the conversation discusses the prediction of voltage measurement at points B to D. The given circuit consists of two parallel branches, one with two 1.5 kOhm resistors in series and the other with a 1.5 kOhm resistor and a 0.1 μF capacitor in series. The equation V=IR is mentioned, but the individual attempting the solution is unsure how to apply it in this scenario. They suggest that the voltage at B and D should be equal and therefore the voltage drop should be 0, but there is no supporting calculation. It is also noted that two different devices, an oscilloscope and a DVM, are used to measure voltage and have different characteristics. The discussion concludes
hypsibius
tumblr_ndpkpvqe0G1tyefrto1_500.jpg

1. Homework Statement

What do you predict the voltage will be measured from B to D directly?

Vtot = 1.0 V peak-peak
Two parallel branches, one with two 1.5 kOhm resistors in series, one with a 1.5 kOhm resistor and a 0.1 μF capacitor in series (see attached diagram)

Homework Equations

V=IR (?)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the voltage at B and D should be equal, so the voltage drop from B to D should be 0. Is this right?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
"I think" is not an attempt :)

Can you show a calculation to support your thinking?

EDIT: Also, from what I can make out of the original question statement, two different devices are used to measure voltages: an oscilloscope and a DVM. They have different characteristics. What do you know about the values that DVM's display for voltages?

Last edited:
Likes Linghunt

Related to Voltage drop question - need check/advice

1. What is voltage drop and why is it important?

Voltage drop is the decrease in electrical potential that occurs when electricity flows through a wire or component. It is important because it can affect the performance and efficiency of electrical systems, and can potentially lead to equipment failure.

2. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance. The formula for voltage drop is V = I x R, where V is voltage drop in volts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

3. What are some common causes of voltage drop?

Some common causes of voltage drop include long wire runs, undersized wiring, and high electrical loads. Other factors that can contribute to voltage drop include poor connections, damaged wiring, and voltage fluctuations in the power supply.

4. How can voltage drop be prevented or minimized?

Voltage drop can be prevented or minimized by using larger gauge wires for long runs, ensuring proper wire sizing for the electrical load, and maintaining proper connections. Using a higher voltage supply can also help reduce voltage drop.

5. What are the potential consequences of excessive voltage drop?

Excessive voltage drop can lead to reduced performance and efficiency of electrical systems, as well as potential damage to equipment. It can also create safety hazards, such as overheating and electrical fires.