Voltage drop for a charged capacitor

In summary: Is there a previous question that gives information on the time constant or the value of the capacitor?In summary, the problem statement is incomplete and lacks important information. It is unclear if the circuit is being charged or discharged and there is no reference to the time constant or the value of the capacitor. Without this information, it is impossible to accurately determine the voltage drop across the 1000 Ohm resistor when the capacitor is fully charged.
jengfin

Homework Statement

What is the voltage drop across the 1000 Ohm resistor when capacitor is fully charged?

Homework Equations

[itex] V(t) = {V_i}*e^{-t/RC} = {V_i}*e^{-t/Tau} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In RC circuit experiment, initial is 9V and final is 2V. The voltage drop should be difference between final and initial voltages, so 7V but I think this is wrong. If initial and final are given, why do we need decay equation? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

The phrase "voltage drop across a resistor" means the potential difference between a point on one side of the resistor and a point on the other side of the resistor, measured at the same instant of time. In your case, the instant of time is when the capacitor is fully charged.

So, you need to consider the law that specifies the potential difference across a resistor. Hint: It involves the current in the resistor.

You haven't described the circuit, so it leaves us a little bit in the dark as to what you are working with.

If you know the initial voltage drop, finding the initial voltage drop seems to be pointless.
Please make sure to include the full problem statement, including images if present. The first line in your post is certainly not everything you were given.

This is full problem statement sorry, no pictures given, nothing. @TSny so I use V=IR to find potential difference?

jengfin said:
@TSny so I use V=IR to find potential difference?
That would be one way, assuming that you can determine the current at the time of interest.
But, there could be other ways such as using what you know about the sum of all potential drops around a closed loop.

There must be more to your problem than what you stated. Can you describe the problem in more detail? Are you dealing with a single circuit loop with a resistor and a capacitor in series? Is there a battery in the circuit? Is the capacitor being charged or is the capacitor being discharged? When you refer to 9V, what voltage is this? Is it the voltage across the capacitor when the capacitor is fully charged? What does the 2V refer to?

Setup is single circuit loop with resistor and capacitor in series. 9V is the voltage across capacitor when it is fully charged. 2V is final voltage, and it is almost done discharging.
TSny said:
That would be one way, assuming that you can determine the current at the time of interest.
But, there could be other ways such as using what you know about the sum of all potential drops around a closed loop.

There must be more to your problem than what you stated. Can you describe the problem in more detail? Are you dealing with a single circuit loop with a resistor and a capacitor in series? Is there a battery in the circuit? Is the capacitor being charged or is the capacitor being discharged? When you refer to 9V, what voltage is this? Is it the voltage across the capacitor when the capacitor is fully charged? What does the 2V refer to?

If the only circuit elements in the loop are the resistor and the capacitor, then there is a simple relation between the voltage drop across the resistor and the voltage drop across the capacitor. That should make it easy to answer the question.

jengfin said:
Setup is single circuit loop with resistor and capacitor in series. 9V is the voltage across capacitor when it is fully charged. 2V is final voltage, and it is almost done discharging.
How do you know that, if the single sentence in the first post was the full problem statement?

mfb said:
How do you know that, if the single sentence in the first post was the full problem statement?
It's RC circuit experiment.

... and the 2 and 9 Volts?

Sorry, I'm out of this thread, getting the relevant information we need to help you (at least the full problem statement) is way too annoying.

mfb said:
... and the 2 and 9 Volts?

Sorry, I'm out of this thread, getting the relevant information we need to help you (at least the full problem statement) is way too annoying.
All info in first post is what I'm given.

jengfin said:
Setup is single circuit loop with resistor and capacitor in series.
jengfin said:
In RC circuit experiment, initial is 9V and final is 2V.
jengfin said:
What is the voltage drop across the 1000 Ohm resistor when capacitor is fully charged?

I agree with the others. The problem statement is wrong and/or missing some info.

The only way I can make even partial sense of it all is to assume that the capacitor starts off at 9V and discharges through the resistor until it reaches 2V when the experiment stops.

Capacitors in isolation don't have a concept of "fully charged". You can charge them until their breakdown voltage is exceeded. Capacitors in a circuit are considered "fully charged" when the circuit is unable to put any more charge into the capacitor. For example it's hard to charge a capacitor over 9V if the maximum voltage available in the circuit (the power supply) is 9V. It can be done but not with a simple RC circuit.

So without more info you can only deduce that the capacitor starts off fully charged at 9V and that's the same voltage across the resistor. But that makes the question trivial.

If your teacher will be giving you the answer I'd be interested to see it.

Last edited:
Is the question one of a series of questions that all refer to the same circuit?

Related to Voltage drop for a charged capacitor

What is voltage drop for a charged capacitor?

Voltage drop for a charged capacitor refers to the decrease in voltage across a capacitor as it discharges. This occurs because the stored electrical energy in the capacitor is released.

Why does voltage drop occur in a charged capacitor?

Voltage drop occurs in a charged capacitor due to the flow of electrons from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate. This flow of electrons creates a current, which results in a decrease in voltage.

How is voltage drop calculated for a charged capacitor?

Voltage drop for a charged capacitor can be calculated using the formula V = V0e-t/RC, where V is the voltage at a given time, V0 is the initial voltage, t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

What factors affect voltage drop in a charged capacitor?

The main factors that affect voltage drop in a charged capacitor are the capacitance, resistance, and time. A higher capacitance or resistance will result in a slower voltage drop, while a longer time will result in a greater voltage drop.

How can voltage drop be minimized in a charged capacitor?

To minimize voltage drop in a charged capacitor, you can increase the capacitance or decrease the resistance. Additionally, using a capacitor with a higher voltage rating can also help to reduce the amount of voltage drop.