Voltage drop across capacitor in RC circuit

In summary, the question asks how long it takes for the potential across the 4μF capacitor to drop to half of its initial value after the switch has been opened. The equation used is V = V0e^(-t/RC) and the answer is 10.2 μs. The equivalent resistance is found to be 3.68 ∏. The time constant for the circuit is determined to be 14.6667 microseconds. It is also noted that it takes the same amount of time for the potential across the 6μF resistor to drop to half of its initial value.
Avalanche

Homework Statement

Please look at the attachment for the circuit.

The question is this:

The switch has been closed for a long time. It is then opened. How long does it take for the potential across the 4μF capacitor to fall to half of its initial value?

Homework Equations

V = V0e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

Once the switch is opened, the capacitor would begin to discharge creating a potential difference. The equation I tried to solve is

0.5 = e^(-t/(4.0*R))

The problem I'm having is that I don't know what R, the equivalent resistance is for this circuit.

The answer is that it takes 10.2 μs for the potential to drop to half of its initial value. Working backwards, I get the equivalent resistance is 3.68 ∏. How do I get that?

Attachments

• Circuit.JPG
    Circuit.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 735
Physics news on Phys.org
What components comprise the circuit of interest when the switch has opened?

When the circuit is opened, the left loop should still has current because there is a battery in that loop.

Avalanche said:
When the circuit is opened, the left loop should still has current because there is a battery in that loop.

Is the current in that loop of interest? What part of the overall circuit is the question asking about?

No ... it's the right loop. When the capacitor discharges, it creates a current that flows around the right loop. I3 becomes zero. Is that correct?

Avalanche said:
No ... it's the right loop. When the capacitor discharges, it creates a current that flows around the right loop. I3 becomes zero. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. Look at the components in that loop. How might you determine the time constant for it?

The time constant = RC.

The only resistor is the 5 ohm resistor. Is that R?

And for C, do I use the equivalent capacitance or just the 4 microfarad?

Avalanche said:
The time constant = RC.

The only resistor is the 5 ohm resistor. Is that R?
Yes. (being the only resistor, it must be!)
And for C, do I use the equivalent capacitance or just the 4 microfarad?
The loop comprises a single circuit, so all the components participate... Find the total equivalent capacitance.

C = (1/4+1/11)^-1 = 2.9333

Time constant = RC = 5*2.93333 = 14.6667 microseconds

0.5 = e^(-t/14.6667)
t = 10.2 microseconds

Thanks for all the help!

btw ... does it also take 10.2 microseconds for the potential across the 6 microfarad resistor to drop to half of its initial value?

Avalanche said:
C = (1/4+1/11)^-1 = 2.9333

Time constant = RC = 5*2.93333 = 14.6667 microseconds

0.5 = e^(-t/14.6667)
t = 10.2 microseconds

Thanks for all the help!
You're welcome!
btw ... does it also take 10.2 microseconds for the potential across the 6 microfarad resistor to drop to half of its initial value?
Yup.

Related to Voltage drop across capacitor in RC circuit

1. What is voltage drop across a capacitor in an RC circuit?

Voltage drop across a capacitor in an RC circuit refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs across a capacitor in a circuit where it is connected in series with a resistor. This voltage drop is caused by the charging and discharging of the capacitor, which creates a temporary opposition to the flow of current in the circuit.

2. How is the voltage drop across a capacitor calculated?

The voltage drop across a capacitor in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula Vc = V0(1-e^(-t/RC)), where Vc is the voltage drop, V0 is the initial voltage, t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in Farads. This formula takes into account the time constant of the circuit, which is the product of the resistance and capacitance.

3. Why is there a voltage drop across a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The voltage drop across a capacitor in an RC circuit is due to the storage and release of electrical energy by the capacitor. When the capacitor is initially connected to the circuit, it charges up and creates a voltage drop. As the capacitor discharges, it releases this stored energy, causing a decrease in voltage across the capacitor.

4. What factors affect the voltage drop across a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The voltage drop across a capacitor in an RC circuit is affected by the values of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit, as well as the duration of time that the circuit has been active. A higher resistance or capacitance will result in a larger voltage drop, while a longer time will result in a smaller voltage drop.

5. How can the voltage drop across a capacitor affect the overall performance of an RC circuit?

The voltage drop across a capacitor can have a significant impact on the performance of an RC circuit. If the voltage drop is too large, it can cause a significant decrease in the overall voltage of the circuit, leading to incorrect readings or malfunctions. Additionally, a larger voltage drop can also affect the time constant of the circuit, resulting in slower charging and discharging times.