Voltage Difference Equation Terminology

In summary, if you want the voltage difference between two points in a non-uniform charge distribution, you integrate from the surface of the charge distribution up to the point where the charge density is uniform.
Typhon4ever
For the formula for getting voltage difference [itex] V_b-V_a=-\int _a^{b} Edl [/itex] how do we know where the limit a and b go? In the equation it goes from a to b but why not b to a? For example , in this question I am given a non uniform charge density where charge density increases with radius r for a sphere of radius a. Voltage is 0 at a. If I want to find the voltage difference between a point inside the sphere and a point on the surface of the sphere, what would I integrate from? [itex] -\int _a^{r} or -\int _r^{a} [/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Typhon4ever said:
For the formula for getting voltage difference [itex] V_b-V_a=-\int _a^{b} Edl [/itex] how do we know where the limit a and b go? In the equation it goes from a to b but why not b to a? For example , in this question I am given a non uniform charge density where charge density increases with radius r for a sphere of radius a. Voltage is 0 at a. If I want to find the voltage difference between a point inside the sphere and a point on the surface of the sphere, what would I integrate from? [itex] -\int _a^{r} or -\int _r^{a} [/itex]?

Either way if you just want the difference- one way tells you how much lower a is than b, and the other way tells you how much higher b is than a. The result will be the same except for their sign.

Typhon4ever said:
For the formula for getting voltage difference [itex] V_b-V_a=-\int _a^{b} Edl [/itex] how do we know where the limit a and b go? In the equation it goes from a to b but why not b to a?
Remember that voltage doesn't have any physical meaning, only voltage differences do. So you always have to define your voltages as differences from some "reference" voltage. Your reference voltage is always a. The equation then gives you the voltage at b referenced to a. Note:
[itex]-\int_a^{a} E dl = 0 = V_a-V_a [/itex]
So the voltage of any point referenced to itself is always 0, as you would expect.

Note also:
[itex] V_b-V_a= -\int _a^{b} Edl = -(-\int _b^{a} Edl) = -(V_a-V_b) [/itex]
So the voltage of b referenced to a is the negative of the voltage of a referenced to b, as you would also expect.

As DaleSpam says, the voltage at b, referenced to a is conventionally given by Vb - Va

Thanks!

Related to Voltage Difference Equation Terminology

What is voltage difference?

Voltage difference refers to the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts and represents the change in energy per unit of charge between the two points.

What is the equation for voltage difference?

The equation for voltage difference is V = IR, where V is voltage (measured in volts), I is current (measured in amperes), and R is resistance (measured in ohms). This equation is known as Ohm's law.

What is the significance of voltage difference in a circuit?

Voltage difference is important in a circuit because it determines the flow of electric current. A higher voltage difference means a greater potential for the current to flow, while a lower voltage difference means a lower potential for current flow.

How do you measure voltage difference?

Voltage difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the points being measured and displays the voltage difference in volts.

What are some common units for voltage difference?

The most common unit for voltage difference is the volt (V). However, it can also be expressed in millivolts (mV) or kilovolts (kV), depending on the magnitude of the voltage difference being measured.