Voltage/Current variation in a motor

In summary, Jim said that the effect of the voltage increment over the magnetizing current is minor and that the motor is working fairly hot to the touch. He also said that if you have an old solenoid coil, you can measure leakage flux. If you have a "ScopeMeter", you will see a very peaky waveform on high voltage days.
rbarbali
Hi all.
I have a question.
I have a WEG asynchronous 3-phase motor, 0.55 kW (0.75 HP), 380 V, 50 Hz, cos PHI 0.82, 1410 RPM, star / Wye connected, plate current 1.50 A.
It's mounted on a conveyer belt and powered simply trough a 3-phase contactor and a Thermal Magnetic GV2ME.
In the facility, there were 410 V line voltage and I measured a line current of 1.60 A, but when later the voltage down to 400 V the current measured was 1.35 A, the current was measured by an RMS current probe.

I thougth that greater line voltage reduces the line current working near motor's nominal power, but I don't understand the measurement. Any suggestions?

rbarbali

Engineering news on Phys.org
rbarbali said:
I thougth that greater line voltage reduces the line current working near motor's nominal power, but I don't understand the measurement. Any suggestions?

Your 410 volts is more than the motor's rated 380 by about 8%.

Which means you're driving its magnetic flux higher, nearer saturation
so it draws a bit more magnetizing current.

That's because of the ubiquitous B-H curve
from http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magfund07.htm
upload_2019-1-30_20-8-33.png

Since this plot has no numbers on it, we can say it's effectively amps horizontal & volts vertical

Flux will be in proportion to voltage
and once you're out past the knee it takes quite a bit more magnetizing current to push flux higher..
rbarbali said:
greater line voltage reduces the line current working near motor's nominal power,

If you drop volts low enough, the motor will begin to slow down and could even draw starting current.
That's why they burn up if you try to run them on an inadequate extension cord ..So there's a 'sweet spot' for voltage, and as you move away from it in either direction current goes up. ..

Any help?

old jim
edit PS i see Tom and i crossed in the mail again !

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-30_20-8-33.png
    upload_2019-1-30_20-8-33.png
    11 KB · Views: 643
Likes jrmichler and Tom.G
rbarbali said:
That is valid if the motor is operating at constant power to the load.

p.s. That is the short answer, I see Jim gave a long version as I was typing.

Likes jim hardy
PS2 A curve with magnetizing current vertical and flux(and volts) horizontal,

upload_2019-1-30_20-29-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-30_20-29-15.png
    upload_2019-1-30_20-29-15.png
    3 KB · Views: 565
Thanks Jim and Tom.
I thought that the effect of the increment of the voltage over the magnetizing current was minor than I measured, but I understand, from your explanation, that the motor is going into saturation.Can we relate the effect of the voltage increment / current increment with the decrement of the power factor in the graph?

upload_2019-1-31_13-52-26.png

I can't measure the machine with 380 V (motor's nominal voltage): the present line voltage is, more or less, 400 V. From the measurement (1.60 A @ 410 V and 1.35 A @ 400V) would you tell (estimate) that the motor is not working at full load? (Working at full load, at nominal voltage 380 V, I would expect measure 1.5 A as per plate).

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-31_13-52-26.png
    upload_2019-1-31_13-52-26.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 586
I would estimate that as you suspect it's lightly loaded.

I say that because your current drops below nameplate between 5% and 8% overvoltage

Is my arithmetic right -
dividing your readings by nameplate values
at 7.9% overvoltage you have 6.7% overcurrent
and at 5.2% overvoltage you have 10%undercurrent
upload_2019-1-31_14-51-3.png

Is that motor running pretty hot to the touch ? Its iron is being worked fairly hard because of the overvoltage.
Find an old solenoid coil, connect it to a DMM set for AC millivolts.
Wave the coil around your motor and the meter will give you an indication of leakage flux.
Try it on days when your house voltage is running high, and when it's running low.
They'll differ because as the core moves into saturation more flux will squeeze out into the air.
If you have one of those battery "ScopeMeter" gizmos, observe the waveform. You'll see a very peaky wave, and you should notice the peaks are exaggerated on high voltage days.

Magnetics is a LOT of fun !

Any Industrial Plant is a tinkerer's paradise and such experimenting solidifies your basics - i hope your management is enlightened enough to permit it.
Write up an experiment plan and approach the boss?

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-31_14-51-3.png
    upload_2019-1-31_14-51-3.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic
PS when it burns up , put in a 400 volt motor.

Hmmmm... a WEG you say ?
Does it have a little sticker saying it's wound with "Wise-Wire" ?
If so that's quality motor..
I found one, 30hp, in my favorite salvage yard(30 cents a pound) , bought and gave it to a friend.
Its construction was impressive.

old jim

Thanks Jim for your help.
I will check the temperature of the motor in a couple of weeks. Keep you informed.

Jose.

Likes jim hardy

Related to Voltage/Current variation in a motor

1. What causes variations in voltage/current in a motor?

There are several factors that can cause variations in voltage/current in a motor. These include changes in the load on the motor, fluctuations in the power supply, and changes in the motor's internal resistance.

2. How do variations in voltage/current affect the performance of a motor?

Voltage/current variations can have a significant impact on the performance of a motor. If the voltage/current is too low, the motor may not have enough power to operate properly. On the other hand, if the voltage/current is too high, it can cause the motor to overheat and potentially damage the motor's components.

3. How can voltage/current variations be measured in a motor?

Voltage/current variations in a motor can be measured using a multimeter or other specialized testing equipment. These tools allow you to measure the voltage and current at different points in the motor's circuit and identify any variations.

4. How can voltage/current variations be controlled in a motor?

There are a few ways to control voltage/current variations in a motor. One method is to use a voltage regulator or current limiter to maintain a steady flow of electricity to the motor. Another option is to adjust the motor's load or speed to compensate for any variations in voltage/current.

5. What steps can be taken to prevent voltage/current variations in a motor?

To prevent voltage/current variations in a motor, it is important to ensure that the motor is properly maintained and that all connections are secure. It is also important to use a reliable power supply and to monitor the motor's performance regularly to identify any potential issues before they become major problems.