Voltage between two points of a circuit

In summary, using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law, the voltage on point AB in a circuit with a 10 V battery and 4Ω resistors was found to be 4 V. However, the use of significant figures in the calculation resulted in a slightly imprecise answer.
Gbox

Homework Statement

YHXtSYb.png

In the circuit the battery is ##10V## and each resistor is ##4\Omega## find the voltage on AB

Homework Equations

1.KVL and KCL
2. ##V=IR##

The Attempt at a Solution

1. ##I_{1}=I_{2}+I_{3}##
  2. ##10-4I_{1}-4I_{1}-4I_{2}-4I_{1}=0\rightarrow 10-12I_{1}-4I_{2}=0##
  3. ##10-4I_{1}-4I_{1}-3*4I_{3}-4I_{1}=0\rightarrow 10-12I_{1}-12I_{3}=0##

##I_{1}=0.66## ##I_{2}=0.5## ##I_{3}=0.16##

Because the voltage at B is ##0## all that is left is to find the voltage on ##A## which is ##10-8*0.66-4*0.16=4.08V##

Is it right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you've rounded intermediate values and introduced significant errors into your significant figures. Also, I if I'm reading your final equation correctly, you've taking a "KVL walk" from B to A around the upper outside of the circuit, but haven't accounted for the 10 V source in the path.

It looks like the second equation you wrote for Kirchhoff's law around the left-hand side loop has an error.

It should be 10 - 12 * (I1) - 4 * (I2) = 0, but you have a coefficient of 16 in front of I1.

Also, it looks like the terms in the third equation were also summed up incorrectly - the coefficient for both terms should be 12 (since three resistors in I1 and three resistors in I3).

Sorry, wrong algebra, fixed and edited

The equations are correct now. But as the other poster mentioned, your introduction of significant figures has caused your final answer to be imprecise.

The exact values for I1 is 0.666666... (i.e. 2/3), and the exact value for I3 is 0.1666666... (i.e. 1/6).

I would suggest using the fraction values for I1 and I3, or otherwise keeping more digits past the decimal point until you reach your final answer, and then round if applicable.

In that case, if you apply the equation you correctly wrote for the voltage between A and B, you will find that the answer is exactly 4 V (as opposed to your 4.08 V answer).

Related to Voltage between two points of a circuit

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is the force that drives electric current through a conductor.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected across the two points of the circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V).

3. What causes a voltage difference between two points?

A voltage difference between two points is caused by a difference in electric charge. This can be due to the presence of a battery or power source, which creates a potential difference in the circuit.

4. Is voltage constant in a circuit?

No, voltage is not constant in a circuit. It can vary depending on the components in the circuit and the amount of resistance they provide. However, in a closed circuit, the total voltage remains the same.

5. How does voltage affect the flow of current?

Voltage is directly proportional to the flow of current in a circuit, according to Ohm's Law (V = IR). This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, while a decrease in voltage will result in a decrease in current.