How Do Vocal Cords and Brain Influence Accents and Voices?

• Thread starter seazal
  • Start date
In summary: Speak a language well enough to at least sort... communicate?Speak a language well enough to at least sort... communicate?Both. If you can speak the language well, people will be able to understand you even if you don't have an accent.Both.
seazal
How much are vocal cords and brain a factor in a person accent and voices? Let's take the example of Avril Lavigne. If her brain would be iimplanted into another body (for sake of illustration). How much would the new body voices sound? Would it be like Avril original voices/accent. What would change?

If I want to sound like her. What must I do to my brain or vocal cords?

Physics news on Phys.org
seazal said:
How much are vocal cords and brain a factor in a person accent and voices? Let's take the example of Avril Lavigne. If her brain would be iimplanted into another body (for sake of illustration). How much would the new body voices sound? Would it be like Avril original voices/accent. What would change?

It would sound entirely different since the entire structure of her vocal system is now different.

seazal said:

You'd need to have her exact vocal chord and throat structure and then learn the exact way she uses her vocal chords, throat, tongue, mouth, and lips while singing.

Likes seazal
Drakkith said:
It would sound entirely different since the entire structure of her vocal system is now different.
You'd need to have her exact vocal chord and throat structure and then learn the exact way she uses her vocal chords, throat, tongue, mouth, and lips while singing.

But if the exact way Avril uses her vocal chords, throat, tongue, mouth, and lips while singing is stored in the brain. Then if her brain implanted to new body. She should still be able sound good, won't she?

seazal said:
But if the exact way Avril uses her vocal chords, throat, tongue, mouth, and lips while singing is stored in the brain. Then if her brain implanted to new body. She should still be able sound good, won't she?

No, not if the rest of the vocal system isn't structured in such a way as to be able to sing well. As far as I know at least.

Likes seazal
Drakkith said:
No, not if the rest of the vocal system isn't structured in such a way as to be able to sing well. As far as I know at least.

You mean people singing abilities are inborn?

seazal said:
You mean people singing abilities are inborn?

To some extent. Think about how many people train to be singers but just aren't very good. It's not really any different than any other ability. Some of your ability is inborn, some is due to practice and training.

Drakkith said:
To some extent. Think about how many people train to be singers but just aren't very good. It's not really any different than any other ability. Some of your ability is inborn, some is due to practice and training.

To sing a good song, how many variations and combinations of pitches, tones, etc. in the vocal cords, tongues, mouth, etc. is required. Can't a singing robot be constructed?

seazal said:
To sing a good song, how many variations and combinations of pitches, tones, etc. in the vocal cords, tongues, mouth, etc. is required.

Many. No idea on a more exact number though.

seazal said:
Can't a singing robot be constructed?

That depends on what you mean by 'singing robot'. It's trivial if you include something like an MP3 player and speaker. But if you mean something that mimics the physical way that people sing... well that's far more complicated.

Drakkith said:
Many. No idea on a more exact number though.
That depends on what you mean by 'singing robot'. It's trivial if you include something like an MP3 player and speaker. But if you mean something that mimics the physical way that people sing... well that's far more complicated.

Let's just talk about accent now. Accent is not inborn right? Any person on Earth (from Bangladesh people to china natives) who would be raised in America would have American accent?

But if a native Chinese is already middle age. How can he get to develop American accent?

seazal said:
But if a native Chinese is already middle age. How can he get to develop American accent?
Foreign accents are just mispronunciations that weren't corrected for so long, that they became habitual. Correcting accent to sound like one of native dialects requires first learning the correct way to pronounce (correct placement of the tongue, correct shape of the lips, and whatever else is needed for a particular sound), then re-training your muscles to perform those sounds by practising.
Any good phonetics handbook gives detailed instructions on how to do the former, and provides handy exercises for doing the latter.

Likes seazal
Some things are limited by anatomy. Someone myopic won't ever see well from the distance (not without glasses), that's pure physics. Why do you think different build of vocal tract will allow singing of the same vocal range?

seazal said:
Let's take the example of Avril Lavigne.

Are you asking about singing well enough that other people enjoy listening to you, or about speaking a language well enough to at least sort of pass for a native speaker in conversation? Those seem to be rather different things.

seazal said:
Tried to think on this part a bit and it was a straight way down to some 'masterpieces' of plastic surgery like living Ken&Barbie imitations... :eek:
At the end I've decided to not link any o0)

seazal said:
I think accent can be defined as something like 'you could by anatomy but misled by habits'. Old habits are hard to modify and requires lot of work for partial success. Unless it is about an exceptional talent I don't think such project can be excepted to have really thorough success.

Likes seazal
Rive said:
Old habits are hard to modify and requires lot of work for partial success.
Right. People learn their native language unconsciously at a very young age, and use it every day. The mechanics of producing the sounds that make up the language's characteristic accent become so deeply ingrained that it's difficult to learn to do them differently. For most people, it takes intensive coaching, practice and reinforcement. I think the best person to serve as a "coach" is (somewhat counterintuitively) often not a native speaker, but a non-native speaker who has learned a good accent, knows the challenges from personal experience, and is able to describe and teach how to overcome them.

When I was studying German in college, after the usual introductory sequence I took a course called something like "Advanced Conversation and Phonetics". We used a textbook that had a lot of detail about vocal anatomy, details of lip and tongue placement, patterns of intonation (pitch) in different kinds of sentences, etc.

With Chinese, you have additional problems caused by its intonation (pitch) patterns. It's hard for non-native speakers to learn them and use them fluently, and it's hard for native speakers to lose those intonation patterns when learning English, etc.

Likes seazal
jtbell said:
Are you asking about singing well enough that other people enjoy listening to you, or about speaking a language well enough to at least sort of pass for a native speaker in conversation? Those seem to be rather different things.

But to sing well, you need good accent. I ponder this after hearing Avril Lavigne singing O Holy Night.

She sounds so good. First she is native English speaker. If you let a china singer sings the same song. The accent may be off.

I can't find anyone who can match her voice. Let's say you have a china native singer age 30 years old who has Chinese accent (who knows English and doesn't speak about it much). How many years training before she can learn the accent of Avril?

seazal said:
I can't find anyone who can match her voice. Let's say you have a china native singer age 30 years old who has Chinese accent (who knows English and doesn't speak about it much). How many years training before she can learn the accent of Avril?

They will probably never learn the accent as well as someone who acquired it growing up. Learning an accent well enough to pass as a native speaker of that accent is extremely difficult. More so for someone who also has had to learn the native language of said accent in their 30's.

Drakkith said:
They will probably never learn the accent as well as someone who acquired it growing up. Learning an accent well enough to pass as a native speaker of that accent is extremely difficult. More so for someone who also has had to learn the native language of said accent in their 30's.

So the accent is deeply engraved in the brain. But is it not the brain has plasticity? Is it plastic enough that a 30 year old native china speaker can learn the American accent and speak like one? What plasticity (and what brain regions involved) would it take to do this?

seazal said:
Is it plastic enough that a 30 year old native china speaker can learn the American accent and speak like one?

For a small number of people, probably. For most, probably not. It's difficult to give any accurate answer.

seazal said:
What plasticity (and what brain regions involved) would it take to do this?

I'm not certain. I'm not an expert in this area.

seazal said:
But is it not the brain has plasticity? Is it plastic enough that a 30 year old native china speaker can learn the American accent and speak like one?
There are critical periods in development when certain behaviors can be learned or learned more easily.
Speech patterns are one of these.
It probably has to do with when particular connections in the brain are being formed or formed in large amounts.

1. What exactly are vocal cords?

Vocal cords, also known as vocal folds, are a pair of muscles located in the larynx (voice box) that vibrate to produce sound when air passes through them. They are responsible for creating the sound and pitch of our voices.

2. Can vocal cords change over time?

Yes, vocal cords can change over time due to factors such as aging, illness, and vocal strain. These changes can affect the quality and range of a person's voice.

3. How do accents develop?

Accents develop as a result of a person's exposure to and interaction with different languages and cultures. They are influenced by the sounds and speech patterns of the people around them.

4. Can accents be changed or modified?

Yes, accents can be changed or modified through speech therapy and other techniques such as mimicking and practicing different speech patterns. However, it may take a significant amount of time and effort to change an accent.

5. How do voice disorders affect the vocal cords?

Voice disorders can affect the vocal cords in various ways, such as causing inflammation, nodules, or polyps to form on the vocal cords. These conditions can lead to changes in voice quality and pitch, as well as difficulty speaking and singing.