Voice coil motor force control using slow decay mode

In summary, an H-bridge switches the coil voltage between supply and "off", the duty cycle of which determines the average current.
lagfish
Hi,
I am trying to control a voice coil motor's force, which is directly proportional to the current through its coil. The direction of the force needs to be reversed, so I thought an H-bridge would be a good way to do it. I have read a lot about H-bridges but I am still confused about a few points. I am using a "chop drive" current control. Please tell me if the following makes sense:
A chop drive switches the coil voltage between supply and "off", the duty cycle of which determines the average current. However, a inductive load cannot be turned off conventionally, as the collapsing magnetic field will induce a massive potential that will destroy all switches. There are two modes of turning the coil "off": slow decay and fast decay.

During slow decay, the inductor is shorted to itself, and the inductor discharges through its own coil resistance the on resistance of the two switches. The induced magnetic field, although decaying, is still present and continues to provide a force proportional to the current and in the same direction as previous. If the motor has a velocity, the movement of the coil through the permanent magnet's field will induce a second current in the coil opposite in direction, as per Faraday and Lenz's Laws. This induced current will increase the rate of current decay. When the voltage in the inductor becomes less than the back EMF, which is equivalent to saying the decaying current becomes less than the velocity induced current, the current will switch directions and the induced magnetic field will oppose the permanent magnet's field, providing braking.

During fast decay, the inductor sees negative supply voltage, and the rate of current decay should be equal to the curreng rising rate. If the motor is in motion, the induced current will again help increase the rate of decay. Since the back EMF is the same sign as the supply, the velocity will provide generation.

In either cases, the force produced by the coil is equal to its instantaneous current, which is the decaying current minus the velocity induced current.
Am I getting this right?
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anyone?

Related to Voice coil motor force control using slow decay mode

1. What is a voice coil motor?

A voice coil motor is an electro-mechanical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical motion. It is composed of a coil of wire, a permanent magnet, and a shaft that moves linearly when a current is applied to the coil.

2. What is force control in a voice coil motor?

Force control is the ability to accurately and precisely control the amount of force produced by the voice coil motor. This is achieved by adjusting the amount of current applied to the coil.

3. What is slow decay mode?

Slow decay mode is a control method for managing the current in a voice coil motor. It involves gradually reducing the current to zero, resulting in a slower and smoother decay of the magnetic field and a more controlled movement of the motor.

4. What are the advantages of using slow decay mode in voice coil motor force control?

Using slow decay mode allows for better control and accuracy of the motor's movement, resulting in smoother and more precise motion. It also reduces the risk of overheating and can extend the lifespan of the motor.

5. How is slow decay mode implemented in voice coil motor force control?

Slow decay mode is typically implemented through a control algorithm that adjusts the current in the voice coil based on feedback from position sensors. The algorithm gradually decreases the current to zero, allowing for a controlled movement of the motor.