Quantum logic: the next brain adaptation?

In summary, our brains may soon be capable of utilizing noncommutative networks and quantum logic, which could aid in solving statistical problems. It is unknown what changes in brain structure and function would enable this, and there is speculation about the role of telepathy and nonlocal correlations in these changes. There is also discussion about the potential for brains to be cultured in vitro and the implementation of a brain tissue/electronic computer interface. Additionally, there is consideration of the potential for quantum adaptation through exposure to radiation, isotopes, and microelectronic action. The views of Gould and Dawkins on evolution are mentioned, with the belief that it is a classical process driven by natural selection. The possibility of organismic adaptations to cosmic radiation, different
Loren Booda
Have our brains come to the point in evolution where we could soon utilize them as mathematical matrices, noncommutative networks, and quantum logicians? Such reasoning may bestow the statistical benefits for predicting and understanding otherwise paradoxical or convoluted outcomes.

If so, what changes in brain structure and function will enable this saltation? Might telepathy relate to these changes through interactive nonlocal correlations?

If not, what physical complications may prevent its realization, and what instead will represent the next cerebral adaptation?

Biology news on Phys.org
I can say that there´s no obsticles for telepathy on this level of histo-cyto structure ...

Have our brains come to the point in evolution where we could soon utilize them as mathematical matrices, noncommutative networks, and quantum logicians?
¨Q:Do you think on brains in our heads or brains (or Tissue )isolated from body?

I have no clue what you are saying :P

Jhirlo, you think there are no obstacles for telepathy? Why do you say that and by which mechanism would you imagine it to work?

I would rather ask if our brain has stopped evolving, rather than asking whether we could develop these amazing feats. Ofcourse, it would depend whether you are talking about an in vivo or ex vivo system.

jhirlo,

Could brains eventually be cultured in vitro from stem cells?

How can a brain tissue/electronic computer interface be implemented?

But first, please answer the questions originally asked above by this topic...

Monique,

The type of logic performed on the scale of atoms and below relies on noncommutative mathematical operations, just like for two matrices A and B:

A x B does not in general equal B x A.

Our brains now use familiar commutative operations like multiplication:

A x B = B x A.

If we were able to think in terms of quantum logic, we could approach currently intractable statistical problems with relative simplicity (see David Deutsch's The Fabric of Reality, Chapter Nine, I think).

Perhaps our brains already have evolved and do calculate quantum mechanically on the atomic/subatomic level. I invite anybody to speculate as to examples of how Q. M. might affect our thinking. We still have room for improvement.

All we need is some kind of a receiver and DAC or ADC :), it’s proved that there are people sensitive to some kinds of e-m radiation (wave to vets with metal plates in the head ;)). You can imagine some Fe aggregation connected to regular neurons like antenna modulating suitable neural signals :) (my imagination). Why not, we can digitalize radiation from 420-680nm, create hi frequency impulses (and low power radiate), it’s not impossible that we can’t develop, or some have, mechanisms to do the same with e-m waves from other parts of spectra.

I believe I read something about men in some northern Europe land that won in Au¦Ö case proving that he feels cellular phones microwaves, resulting with court order that his fellow employees can’t use c. phones in his vicinity.

Quantum computing using neurons – I don’t think so. Isolated neuro tissue wouldn’t be faster than average cpu in raw mathematical operations (my opinion). But we all know that the biggest speed isn’t speed of light it’s a thought ;).

Originally posted by Loren Booda
jhirlo,

Could brains eventually be cultured in vitro from stem cells?

How can a brain tissue/electronic computer interface be implemented?

They've already achieved sorts of mechanical telekenisis with monkeys.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3186850.stm

"The Duke team implanted an array of microelectrodes into the brains of two female rhesus macaque monkeys. They implanted 96 electrodes in one animal and 320 in the other.

They then analysed the signals given off by the electrodes as the animals were taught to use a joystick to both position a cursor over a target on a video screen and to grasp the joystick."

Last edited:
How soon before the blind see with a camera, like the deaf hear with a cochlear implant?

How soon before the blind see with a camera, like the deaf hear with a cochlear implant?

You know, this point reminds us of the fact that only artificial selection could yield this quantum logic adaptation. After all, there is no stimulus in nature to comprehend wave/particle duality or particle entanglement.

Anyway, I think we're well on our way to finding such a "camera" that you refer to. I've heard of some research into nanotechnology that may soon yield a prototype of just such a device (though it would yield color-vision or even perfectly clear vision).

Mentat
You know, this point reminds us of the fact that only artificial selection could yield this quantum logic adaptation. After all, there is no stimulus in nature to comprehend wave/particle duality or particle entanglement.
Is evolution a classically correspondent process, or might radiation, isotopes, and microelectronic action be major components of quantum adaptation?

MentatIs evolution a classically correspondent process, or might radiation, isotopes, and microelectronic action be major components of quantum adaptation?

I don't understand the question? It almost sounds like your asking me to choose between the Gould and Dawkins views (which I've finally come to a better understanding of). Please re-state.

Is evolution a classically correspondent process, or might radiation, isotopes, and microelectronic action be major components of quantum adaptation?

Evolution is variation filtered by natural selection. Any of the things you mention, and more, could be sources of variation in the genome. Selection however happens at the whole organism level (even if it is "on behalf of the genes"). So it is to a high degree of accuracy a classical process.

Mentat,

In other words, I believe there may be shown organismic adaptations to cosmic radiation, to the presence of different isotopes, or to effects (like between neurons) not unlike those of microcircuitry, all on the quantum level.

Would you mind outlining the Gould and Dawkins views?

selfAdjoint seems to have addressed that selection itself, despite a quantal environment, is a classically correspondent process. I shall mull this over.

What is quantum logic?

Quantum logic is a branch of mathematics and philosophy that studies the behavior and properties of systems and processes at the quantum level, where classical logic and mechanics are no longer applicable.

How does quantum logic differ from classical logic?

Quantum logic differs from classical logic in that it deals with non-deterministic and probabilistic systems, rather than the deterministic systems studied in classical logic. It also takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement.

What are the potential applications of quantum logic?

Quantum logic has potential applications in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information processing. It could also have implications for understanding the human brain and consciousness.

How can quantum logic be used to adapt the brain?

There is still much research to be done, but some scientists believe that understanding the principles of quantum logic could help us understand the brain at a deeper level and potentially lead to new brain adaptations or enhancements.

What are the challenges in studying and implementing quantum logic?

One major challenge is that the principles of quantum logic are often counterintuitive and difficult to understand. Additionally, the technology and resources needed for experiments and applications of quantum logic are still in early stages of development.