What Can We Learn from GPDs about the Structure of Protons?

In summary, the conversation discusses a process called DVCS (Deeply Virtual Compton Scattering) which allows access to new distributions of partons known as "generalized" distributions. The speaker mentions that GPD (Generalized Parton Distributions) could potentially compute the Energy-Momentum tensor of the partons, and asks what other physical quantities can be accessed through GPD and what remains to be measured in a nucleon or hadron. The speaker also notes that there seems to be little interest in this topic.
humanino
I hear about a process called DVCS ("Deeply Virtual Compton Scattering") which should allow access to new distributions of parton called "generalized" distributions. Does someone know what's new about those "GPD" ?
DVCS at JLab Hall-A

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I see nobody really cares about quarks phenomenology. So I'm going to answer to myself. I am squatting your forum. (^_^)

I read that GPD would actually allow one to compute the T_\mu\nu of the partons ! (Energy-Momentum tensor) From a "naive" point of view, the only other way I can imagine to measure T_\mu\nu for the partons would be graviton scattering ! Therefore, my question was precisely : what physical quantity can be accessed through GPD (besides T_\mu\nu of partons) and what else remain to be measured inside a nucleon (or generally speaking a hadron), apart from what can be accessed with GPD ?

What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that has a positive electric charge and is located in the nucleus of an atom. It is composed of two up quarks and one down quark.

What is the size of a proton?

The size of a proton is approximately 0.87 femtometers (fm), or 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 meters.

How is the structure of a proton determined?

The structure of a proton is determined through experiments such as scattering experiments, where high energy particles are directed at the proton and the resulting interactions are analyzed.

What is the role of quarks in the structure of a proton?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons, along with other subatomic particles. They are held together by the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for the structure and stability of protons.

Can the structure of a proton change?

Yes, the structure of a proton can change in certain high energy environments, such as in particle accelerators or in the extreme conditions of a neutron star. This can result in the creation of new particles or the transformation of protons into other particles.