Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Vivaldi Update

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
The Vivaldi browser has Sync now!!! Yet another reason to go with this browser, which I regard as the fastest one out there.

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
Hello Ackbach, thank you, I have been using only Vivaldi since I adopted it following your post from last year. Personally, I don't find the syncing very important, but the change from version 1.15 to 2.0 indicates that it is probably a major update overall.

(In case you happen to use a Linux distribution that does not have updated packages, or does not provide Vivaldi at all, it may be possible to just download the standard .deb or .rpm from the Vivaldi site, change the version number in your local build script and upgrade without any problem. For example, adapting the version number in this script (still for 1.15 at the time of writing) is enough to build the new Slackware package for 2.0.)

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hello Ackbach, thank you, I have been using only Vivaldi since I adopted it following your post from last year. Personally, I don't find the syncing very important, but the change from version 1.15 to 2.0 indicates that it is probably a major update overall.

(In case you happen to use a Linux distribution that does not have updated packages, or does not provide Vivaldi at all, it may be possible to just download the standard .deb or .rpm from the Vivaldi site, change the version number in your local build script and upgrade without any problem. For example, adapting the version number in this script (still for 1.15 at the time of writing) is enough to build the new Slackware package for 2.0.)
In the Linux case, if you download the .deb or .rpm package and simply re-install, that works fine.

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
In the Linux case, if you download the .deb or .rpm package and simply re-install, that works fine.
It only works when you have a Debian (.deb) or Redhat / Fedora (.rpm) based distro.
On my system I cannot installs .debs or .rpms.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
This thread has encouraged me to download and install the latest update...although I don't even know what "Sync" is. (Giggle)

edit: okay, it was explained after the update...I have no need for it, but glad to have the update done. :)

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
It only works when you have a Debian (.deb) or Redhat / Fedora (.rpm) based distro.
On my system I cannot installs .debs or .rpms.
Ah, I see. What are you running? Gentoo? Arch? Slack? Something else?

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Since no one explained what this big time 'Sync' is all about, I just went ahead and upgraded myself as well.
Just to find out what this 'Sync' means.
Hmm... I think it means that I should install Vivaldi on my mobile phone, and if I do, I get the same bookmarks on MHB that I have on my laptop. Is that it?

• Admin

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Since no one explained what this big time 'Sync' is all about, I just went ahead and upgraded myself as well.
Just to find out what this 'Sync' means.
Hmm... I think it means that I should install Vivaldi on my mobile phone, and if I do, I get the same bookmarks on MHB that I have on my laptop. Is that it?
I haven't tried that, so I don't know. Theoretically, it means that across different machines, you can log in with the same username and password, and get all your bookmarks, settings, etc. I think Vivaldi's Sync feature is on the right track, but I'm not sure it's working correctly as yet. It's certainly better than nothing.

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
I've been using the latest Vivaldi for about a week now. It's fast and reliable - only the extensions/plug-ins "tab" seems lacking (maybe there is something I'm missing). Given that I use a 32-bit system with just a gig of RAM that's pretty good! Love it!

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
It's fast and reliable - only the extensions/plug-ins "tab" seems lacking (maybe there is something I'm missing).
Here (Vivaldi 2.0 on another system, but I think it should be the same) I get the "Extensions" tab via one of the equivalent ways:

Tools $\rightarrow$ Extensions, or,
Control-Shift-E, or,
vivaldi://extensions in the address bar.

If you then click the menu "Extensions" in the top left of the appearing page, and then go all the way down, it says "Open Chrome Web Store". (alternatively, direct link). You can then install any chrome extensions into Vivaldi. I did this with a few of them and did not experience problems.

Let us know if you need help.

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
Ah, I see. What are you running? Gentoo? Arch? Slack? Something else?
Slackware. I was always very fond of Debian and used it for years, but the switch to systemd a while ago made my computer difficult to use, mainly because of spontaneous reboots that I have so far failed to understand. (It may not have been systemd's fault, but dropping systemd did remove the erratic behavior.)