Visualizing the 2-D Particle in a Box - comments

In summary: Can the wavefunction for the original box and the new box be represented by the same set of points in space?No, they are not the same.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
kreil submitted a new PF Insights post

Visualizing the 2-D Particle in a Box

2danimation-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes julcab12 and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
kewl. Thanks for the lucid tutorial!

Absolutely excellent. I am not a physicist, but have an interest in understanding QM and this article was perfect: The visualizations and instructions for computer simulation relate the ideas better than anything I've read.

Nice! The blog's mathematical presentation is pretty simple and easy to understand as well. Gotta have one of these in the starting chapters of every introductory QM book ;)

Thanks guys, glad it was clear enough for non-physicists to follow!

If you have any suggestions for future topics please let me know.

Re-reading after thinking about it. I'd like to ask questions in context, but I don't want to distract from a great, clear tutorial.

Trying to picture what happens if you suddenly increase the size of the box. My guess was that the response is sort of quantized (or harmonic) due to the periodicity of the wave equation, that there would be no noticeable change until a new peak, or a new chorent wave frequency or pattern across the whole box was accommodated. Is that threshold Plank size? Also, was picturing the overall energy density probability going down, which seems naively consistent with thermodynamic expectation? At the moment when a new wave function suddenly "fits" the "expectation" wave spontaneously re-forms instantaneously everywhere to take this new shape? What if the box is huge?

Jimster41 said:
Trying to picture what happens if you suddenly increase the size of the box.

This is actually a fairly common exercise for students studying the one-dimensional particle in a box. Basically you start by assuming that the wave function ##\Psi(x,t)## does not change at the instant the box increases in size. If it was originally in the ground state, it goes from this:

Snapshot1.jpg

to something like this:

Snapshot2.jpg

Which doesn't look very interesting, does it? But, just let some time elapse!

In the original box, ##\Psi## is an energy eigenstate ##\psi_k(x) e^{-iE_k t / \hbar}## with a fixed energy. The probability distribution ##|\Psi|^2## maintains the same shape, so we call it a "stationary state".

In the new box, ##\Psi## is a superposition (linear combination) of the new energy eigenstates, e.g. :

Snapshot3.jpg

for the new ground state and first excited state. Each of these eigenstates oscillates at a different frequency, so the probability distribution of the superposition does not maintain the same shape, that is, it is not a "stationary state." The probability distribution "sloshes" around inside the new box as time passes, starting from the probability distribution of the original wave function.

To see what this actually looks like for a specific case, you have to work out the coefficients Ak of the linear combination that expresses the spatial part of the original ##\psi(x)## in terms of the spatial part of the new energy eigenstates: $$\psi(x) = \Sigma {A_k \psi_k^\prime(x)}$$ Then you can find the new time-dependent wave function $$\Psi(x,t) = \Sigma A_k \psi_k^\prime(x) e^{-iE_k t / \hbar}$$ and the new probability distribution $$P(x,t) = |\Psi(x,t)|^2$$

I think I made (or am working on) a connection that I hadn't made, and I hope it is "not wrong", but please tell me if it is.

The periodic shape of wavefunction (the wavenumber?) for the given box "size" and the given energy, is dictated by way(s) that energy is divided by h (which, like the size dimension x of the box, is a "size"). The result is discrete scale invariant, is that correct?

Sorry for treating the insights as a regular old thread, but they are little bit like a class where you would love to be able to raise your hand. o_O and get yourself squared up. Moreso IMHO than regular question threads which can be pretty chaotic and often you are just trying to figure out what the conversation is about. Or you are having to frame a question without such lucid context, and are not even sure if your terms are right.

No,no, sorry, it's just plain periodic.

Can the plot above labeled by "Here is the time-simulation for (nx,ny)=(4,4). In this case, the spots where the wave function is always zero are more numerous, and form a grid." fill a volume if stacked in another dimension?

Sure, for a rectangular 3D "particle in a box."

Related to Visualizing the 2-D Particle in a Box - comments

1. What is a 2-D Particle in a Box?

A 2-D Particle in a Box is a theoretical model used to study quantum mechanics. It involves a particle confined to a two-dimensional space, such as a square or rectangle, with fixed boundaries.

2. What is the significance of visualizing a 2-D Particle in a Box?

Visualizing a 2-D Particle in a Box allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles on a quantum level. It also helps us to visualize the effects of confinement on the energy and wave functions of the particle.

3. How is the energy of a 2-D Particle in a Box quantized?

The energy of a 2-D Particle in a Box is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values, due to the particle's confinement. The energy levels are determined by the size and shape of the box and are given by the equation En = (nx2 + ny2)h2/8mL2, where nx and ny are integers representing the number of nodes in the x and y directions, h is Planck's constant, m is the particle's mass, and L is the size of the box.

4. How do the wave functions of a 2-D Particle in a Box change with increasing energy levels?

As the energy levels of a 2-D Particle in a Box increase, the number of nodes in the wave functions also increases. This means that the particle's probability of being found in certain regions of the box changes, with higher energy levels resulting in more complex wave patterns.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the 2-D Particle in a Box model?

Although the 2-D Particle in a Box is a theoretical model, it has been used to explain the behavior of electrons and other particles in confined spaces, such as quantum dots and semiconductor devices. It also has applications in fields such as nanotechnology and materials science.