Visualizing Solid Angle of a 3d Object (say a Sphere)

In summary, the concept of solid angle can be straightforward until surface patches are taken into account. This can cause confusion when dealing with 3D objects like spheres and cylinders, as only a part of their surface area is captured by the cone, not the entire surface. In real life, we can only see the part of the sphere facing us, not the opposite side. This can also be seen in the proof of Gauss's Theorem, where the not-visible portion is also considered. However, the largest part of the surface visible from a given point is not a solid angle and does not affect the calculation of solid angle. To find the full solid angle, one would need to consider the view from inside the sphere and use an integral.
Adjax
Hello Everybody!
Concept of Solid Angle was pretty much straight forward until they were on surface patches were taken into account which were visualized as base of cone.
I am having difficult when 3d Objects like Sphere/Cylinder .
We can very easily calculate the respective area and plugin the value to find answer but what baffles me is
That only a part of the the sphere 'surface area is capture by the cone(say 2pi*(R)^2 instead of 4pi*(R)^2 )
In real life, you can see that: if a ball is at some distance you can only see the part facing you not on the opposite.
I google and found one wolfram demonstration which starts with a small patch goes then from there as solid angle covers half of hemisphere,pretty much straightforward
And, after that point it starts covering the other half of the sphere , I want to know why we are coniderering a part we are not facing at all (or can't perceive it until we turn our heads around)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The part we don't see is still part of the sphere surface.

If you have a question about a specific explanation, it would help to reference this.

But Ain't we should consider only the part we face only as per the definition?
I asked this question in reference to proof of Gauss Theorem , everything makes sense except the part we don't see?

Also let's suppose we consider part we 'don't see

then let's draw a simple cone(with no extras like sphere,etc..), obviousuly the part 'we see is' pi*R^2 so solid angle will be pi but if we consider surface we don't see then can't we claim there is infinite plane beyond that surface...the part we don't see?

Adjax said:
But Ain't we should consider only the part we face only as per the definition?
Consider it where?
See above, please explain what exactly you are asking questions about.

@Adjax : Are you confusing the actual solid angle of the sphere with the solid angle of the cone which bounds all the rays of light coming from the sphere to an external point of observation ?

@mfb
Well the defination of solid angle I know is that Area subtended by base of cone at a point.

So if I put sphere into the picture (Imagine fitting the sphere into the cone) ,then the maximum surface are captured by the base of the cone is 2pi*r^2 ,not the 4*pi*r^2.
The other part certainly not captured( The part we don't see, for example we can only say a part of moon's surface not the one behind it , so ain't the solid angle should be the the surface visible divided by the distant)

But everywhere I see the Gauss laws derivation , they include the not visible portion/portion-of-view also

This is my source of Confusion!

@Nidum: Is there any alternative/ more general definition too, which I might not be knowing/ flossed off in texts?

Adjax said:
So if I put sphere into the picture (Imagine fitting the sphere into the cone) ,then the maximum surface are captured by the base of the cone is 2pi*r^2 ,not the 4*pi*r^2.
That's the largest part of the surface you can see from a given point on the outside. It is not a solid angle, and it has nothing to do with solid angles. The solid angle the sphere occupies from a point outside is always smaller than 2 pi.

If you are interested in finding the full solid angle, you need the view from inside the sphere. The "cone" is not a single well-defined cone there, you'll need an integral.

Related to Visualizing Solid Angle of a 3d Object (say a Sphere)

1. What is the solid angle of a 3d object?

The solid angle of a 3d object is the measure of the amount of space or angle that is subtended by a three-dimensional object at a specific point. In simpler terms, it is the amount of space or angle that is covered by an object when viewed from a specific point.

2. How is the solid angle of a 3d object calculated?

The solid angle of a 3d object can be calculated by dividing the surface area of the object by the square of its distance from the point of observation. It is usually measured in steradians (sr), with one steradian being equal to the solid angle subtended by a sphere with a radius equal to the distance from the center of the sphere to the point of observation.

3. What is the formula for calculating the solid angle of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the solid angle of a sphere is Ω = 2π(1-cosθ), where Ω is the solid angle and θ is the angle subtended by the sphere at the point of observation.

4. How does the size and distance of an object affect its solid angle?

The size and distance of an object are directly proportional to its solid angle. This means that as the size and/or distance of an object increases, its solid angle also increases. For example, a larger sphere or a sphere that is closer to the point of observation will have a larger solid angle compared to a smaller sphere or a sphere that is farther away.

5. Why is solid angle important in scientific calculations?

Solid angle is important in scientific calculations because it helps us to accurately measure and visualize the amount of space or angle covered by a three-dimensional object. It is used in various fields of science, such as optics, astronomy, and physics, to determine the intensity of radiation, the size of objects, and the direction of forces, among other things.