Visual fractional distillation demo - thwarted

In summary, this chemistry experiment would have been a beautiful sight, but it is unsafe and not practical. There are safer chemicals that can produce similar results.
JeffEvarts
I wanted to do a demo of fractional crystallization that would have a nice visual result. I had intended to make a saturated solution of ferric chloride, nickel chloride, and sodium chloride, put the solution in a very broad shallow petri dish, and allow natural evap to produce concentric colored rings. Each chloride has at least a 2x difference in solubility from the next.

The yellow band (ferric, 60g/100ml) outide the green band (nickel, 300g/100ml) outside the white band (sodium, 650g/ml) - it seemed simple and elegant.

Unfortunately, nickel and ferric chloride are "dangerous", so chemical companies won't ship them to non-business, non-educational addresses. :( I am NOT trying to get around the law here, nor am I soliciting someone to do so.

I'm asking two questions:
1) Would this experiment have worked, or do I misunderstand fractional distillation?
2) Are there safer chemicals that would yield the same results?

Disclaimer: I am a chemistry noob. I used all chlorides because I didn't want cross reactions between the chemicals to spoil the fun, and the carbonates and hydroxides I found weren't sufficiently soluble to make the experiment practical.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think you have a misunderstanding about fractional crystallization but it appears your spell check is replacing several instances of the word 'crystallization' with 'distillation'. Because you are using a strongly colored ferric salt, it will stain everything that comes out of solution... even if you manage to produce the concentric rings effect. I don't see how you intend to do that part of it but if you did, you would get brown crystals around brown crystals and brown crystals in the middle.

This sounds like an analog to circular chromatography of colored dyes onto a towel. A mixture of dyes with different rf values is spotted in the center of a towel and solvent carefully added. As the spot spreads, the colors separate out producing a tie-dye effect.

It might work if you grow the crystals on a stick and allow the solution to slowly evaporate. In theory you should get three blobs of different crystals. Neat if you can do it. It will probably work best with a tall, skinny glass like you get with cocktail olives. I've found that phosphoric acid (85% or somewhat more dilute) decolorizes ferric chloride in solution to a nearly colorless light purple. It might just work for a thin solid layer staining a surface. That might be a way to rinse the the Ni and NaCl crystals to decolorize the FeCl3 somewhat.

Related to Visual fractional distillation demo - thwarted

1. What is visual fractional distillation?

Visual fractional distillation is a technique used to separate two or more components of a liquid mixture based on their boiling points. It is a type of fractional distillation that utilizes a column with different temperatures to achieve a more precise separation.

2. How does visual fractional distillation work?

In visual fractional distillation, a liquid mixture is heated and vaporized. The vapor is then passed through a column with different temperatures, causing the components with lower boiling points to vaporize and rise to the top of the column. As the vapor reaches cooler temperatures, it condenses and is collected in separate containers, resulting in the separation of the components.

3. What is the purpose of a visual fractional distillation demo?

The purpose of a visual fractional distillation demo is to demonstrate the principles of fractional distillation in a visually engaging manner. It allows students and viewers to see the separation of components in real-time and understand the process better.

4. Can visual fractional distillation be used in real-life applications?

Yes, visual fractional distillation is commonly used in industries such as oil refining, chemical manufacturing, and pharmaceuticals to separate and purify different components of a liquid mixture. It is also used in laboratories for research and analysis purposes.

5. What factors can affect the success of a visual fractional distillation?

Several factors can affect the success of a visual fractional distillation, including the boiling points of the components, the temperature and length of the column, and the rate of heating. Additionally, impurities in the mixture or incorrect setup of the equipment can also impact the results of the distillation.

Back