Visual Fire: An Analysis of the Greek Belief in Eye Emission and Its Flaws

In summary, the conversation explores the concept of vision in Greek popular understanding, which believed that the eye emits a fire to perceive objects. This theory is disproved by the fact that humans cannot see in the dark. However, it is acknowledged that with the limited knowledge at the time, this theory was a possible model. The conversation also touches on the views of Empedocles, who believed that vision was caused by a combination of the fire of the eye and the flame of the sun. The conversation concludes by discussing the importance of studying history in understanding the development of scientific theories and concepts.
Vinay080
Gold Member
I am reading the book "A History Of Optics" by Oliver Darrigol, and I came across this sentence (under the heading Visual Fire):
In the Greek popular understanding of the visual process, the eye emits a fire whose rays probe the surface of the observed object
Isn't this a low-quality argument? This can be directly disproved by the fact that humans inbabilty to see in dark, viz. if humans can see things from the "fire" emitted from their eyes, then they can see things in dark. Is this just a bogus argument given push because of its fancy look or was there any strong support for this view?

The question took significance for me, as every concieved principles will be trying to look for generality, and this principle is also concieved to look for generality in explaining things; and I was wondering whether the proper support for this argument has anything to donate for the future development of the nature's explanation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the "fire" has to reach surfaces that are lit? It also has to reach red surfaces to give the impression of red...
We know that model is wrong today (and with the knowledge of a finite speed of light it is obvious), but with the limited knowledge back then it was a possible model.

Likes Vinay080
And..breaking news! I continued reading, and came to Empedocles; he is said to believe that the cause of vision to be because of both from the fire of eye and the flame of sun, based on the principle (though not rigorous, but by "analogy" hypothesis) that (quoted from the book)
By Earth in us we percieve earth; by water in us water; by air in us, the gods' air; and consuming fire by fire in us

This lifts up most of the problems on the argument, based on the situation of those days; but understanding still more on their like arguments (if there are any) towards the model will be of interest to the future models (if required).

Vinay080 said:
And..breaking news! I continued reading, and came to Empedocles; he is said to believe that the cause of vision to be because of both from the fire of eye and the flame of sun, based on the principle (though not rigorous, but by "analogy" hypothesis) that (quoted from the book)
This lifts up most of the problems on the argument, based on the situation of those days; but understanding still more on their like arguments (if there are any) towards the model will be of interest to the future models (if required).

And this is all still totally wrong in the light of known physics today

I suggest you start reading some more modern physics textbooks, at least 2000 years ahead of what you have been reading

Dave

Likes Vinay080
Vinay080 said:

Kudos to you!
Reading about and being aware of the history of science and how humans placed themselves and regarded their relationship to the Earth and the cosmos is interesting in itself. Different cultures might have seen themselves in different a different light then others, you may be well aware.

You may have a different perspective on inductive and deductive reasoning, their strengths and weaknesses, from pursuing such an endeavor, other than that gained by studying the popular basic Plato philosophy courses or that stressed in such as geometry and its axioms.

It might give you also a better understanding of the axioms upon which of modern science relies, and whether or not there are some inherent faults or areas that need further investigation.

Likes Vinay080
I suggest you start reading some more modern physics textbooks, at least 2000 years ahead of what you have been reading
:biggrin: I am reading "History" book, which contains all the physics, back from past to present; but I do agree to learn more modern concepts as you suggested, I just happened to read the past theories in that book, and went on analysing their reasoning.

That being said, @256bits has said correctly, on the importance of studying history.

Last edited:
Likes davenn

Related to Visual Fire: An Analysis of the Greek Belief in Eye Emission and Its Flaws

1. What is the concept of "eye emission" in Greek belief?

In Greek belief, "eye emission" refers to the belief that a person's eyes have the power to emit a harmful force or energy that can cause harm or misfortune to others. This belief was commonly associated with envy, anger, or evil intentions.

2. How did the Greeks view the concept of "eye emission"?

The Greeks viewed "eye emission" as a real and dangerous phenomenon, often attributing it to supernatural or divine powers. It was believed that those with a strong gaze or intense emotions were more likely to emit this harmful energy.

3. What were some of the flaws in the belief of "eye emission"?

One of the main flaws in the belief of "eye emission" was the lack of scientific evidence to support its existence. This belief was largely based on superstition and fear, rather than empirical observation. Additionally, the concept of "eye emission" often led to false accusations and scapegoating.

4. Were there any scientific explanations for the concept of "eye emission"?

Some modern theories suggest that the concept of "eye emission" may have stemmed from the phenomenon of "psychological projection," where individuals project their own negative emotions onto others. Additionally, some experts suggest that the fear of "eye emission" may have evolved from our primal instincts to avoid threatening or harmful individuals.

5. How does the belief in "eye emission" still impact society today?

Although the belief in "eye emission" may not be as prevalent in modern society, it has influenced cultural norms and taboos surrounding eye contact, envy, and jealousy. This belief has also been perpetuated in literature, art, and popular culture, perpetuating stereotypes and misconceptions about the power of the human gaze.