Viruses manipulating our evolution

• Thread starter genphis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evolution
In summary, the conversation discussed the symbiotic relationship between humans and viruses, and whether viruses have the ability to modify our evolution as we serve as their hosts. The topic was further explored through the mention of a book called Virolution by Frank Ryan and the discussion of endogenous retroviruses and their potential role in promoting genetic diversity. The conversation also touched on the potential for viruses to cause behavior changes and the overlooked role of parasites in evolution. Overall, the conversation highlighted the intricate and complex relationship between humans and viruses, and the potential impact they have on our evolution.
genphis
i was wondering if anybody had any thoughts about the symbiotic relationship between us and viruses, and whether the fact that we are vehicles for them motivate them to to change us and modify our evolution.

Biology news on Phys.org
There's a book called Virolution by Frank Ryan. I can't comment on the book, however; as I haven't read it.
Richard Dawkin's also briefly talks about Viruses in evolution. Either in The Selfish Gene or The Extended Phenotype, perhaps both, I can't remember.

thanks i will take a look at the books regards genphis

genphis said:
i was wondering if anybody had any thoughts about the symbiotic relationship between us and viruses, and whether the fact that we are vehicles for them motivate them to to change us and modify our evolution.

I don't know that I'd call it symbiotic, viruses use us as replicators, not much benefit from our standpoint.

Interestingly enough though, a significant portion of our genome is given over to endogenous retroviruses.

If you don't like sharing ancestors with apes, try on sharing them with non-living, infectious particles :P

It is possible that we do derive some benefit from retroviruses, however. We know that retroviruses, either the infectious kinds of the kinds that have become endogenous mobile genetic elements, have the ability to reshuffle our genetic material. For example, a retrovirus can accidentally replace part of its sequence with DNA from the host. When this virus integrates into a new position in the genome, that host sequence will have moved to a new position in the genome where it can possibly adopt a new function.

While this process certainly can be harmful--for example, the idea of oncogenes, cancer causing genes, were first discovered when researchers realized that cancer-causing genes from a variety of tumor viruses were actually genes taken from the host's genome--it is possible that this process has also aided the host's evolution by generating more genetic diversity. For example, this process would promote recombination between different regions of the genome, allowing genes with new functions to arise. This could be one explanation for why endogenous retroviruses are so prevalent in our genomes.

Ygggdrasil said:
It is possible that we do derive some benefit from retroviruses, however. We know that retroviruses, either the infectious kinds of the kinds that have become endogenous mobile genetic elements, have the ability to reshuffle our genetic material. For example, a retrovirus can accidentally replace part of its sequence with DNA from the host. When this virus integrates into a new position in the genome, that host sequence will have moved to a new position in the genome where it can possibly adopt a new function.

While this process certainly can be harmful--for example, the idea of oncogenes, cancer causing genes, were first discovered when researchers realized that cancer-causing genes from a variety of tumor viruses were actually genes taken from the host's genome--it is possible that this process has also aided the host's evolution by generating more genetic diversity. For example, this process would promote recombination between different regions of the genome, allowing genes with new functions to arise. This could be one explanation for why endogenous retroviruses are so prevalent in our genomes.

That's certainly true and I'd agree with all of it. My point wasn't that there isn't some specialized circumstances where we could consider viruses beneficial, my point was in general the relationships between viruses and humans is rather one sided.

another thought is where did they originate from, seeing as they need a host and most have difficulty in surviving outside living organisms for any length of time. what or who? was the original host , and are we just macro viruses ourselves. i ask this because if you look at our behavior patterns even the way we reproduce it seems pretty much like a virus type process any thoughts.

regards genphis

If a parasite can cause behavior change, then any pathogen has the possibility to do so.

""Epidemiological and neuropathological studies indicate that some cases of schizophrenia may be associated with environmental factors, such as exposure to the ubiquitous protozoan Toxoplasma gondii. ""
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1560245/

I'm reading Carl Zimmerman's "parasite rex". Aside from being quite readable and extremely interesting, it seems to give examples of how the role of parasites (if not viruses specifically) has been overlooked (in evolution, etc). (E.g., in particular environments >95% of fish the birds catch have parasites, which alter the fish behaviour to better facilitate transmission, and bringing into question the role the birds might play in that ecosystem otherwise.)

cesiumfrog said:
I'm reading Carl Zimmerman's "parasite rex". Aside from being quite readable and extremely interesting, it seems to give examples of how the role of parasites (if not viruses specifically) has been overlooked (in evolution, etc). (E.g., in particular environments >95% of fish the birds catch have parasites, which alter the fish behaviour to better facilitate transmission, and bringing into question the role the birds might play in that ecosystem otherwise.)
This is a subject I find quite interesting. It is amazing how dependant relationships have evolved to become so species specific in some cases that the loss of one means the extinction of the other.

The book sounds very interesting cesiumfrog, thanks!

I remeaber reading a few years ago that a virus partially changed the DNA of the tuberculosis bacterium causing a new strain. I'm sure that at one time or another during our evolution from simple to complex orginisms that viruses had some sort of effect on our DNA like in the example above.

Related to Viruses manipulating our evolution

1. How do viruses manipulate our evolution?

Viruses can manipulate our evolution by inserting their genetic material into our DNA, causing mutations that can potentially lead to changes in our physical traits or abilities. They can also influence gene expression, altering the way our cells function.

2. Can viruses accelerate evolution?

Yes, viruses can accelerate evolution by introducing new traits into a population through genetic mutations. These traits can be beneficial, allowing individuals with the mutation to survive and reproduce, thus passing on the new trait to future generations.

3. Are viruses responsible for all evolutionary changes?

No, viruses are not solely responsible for all evolutionary changes. While they can play a significant role in shaping the genetic makeup of a population, other factors such as natural selection, genetic drift, and environmental changes also contribute to evolution.

4. Can viruses cause species to evolve into new species?

Yes, viruses can potentially cause speciation, which is the process of one species splitting into two or more distinct species. This can occur when a virus infects a population and causes genetic changes that lead to reproductive isolation, preventing individuals from different populations from interbreeding.

5. How can studying viruses help us understand evolution?

Studying viruses can provide insights into the mechanisms of evolution, such as genetic mutations and natural selection. It can also help us understand the relationship between viruses and their hosts and how their interactions can shape the evolution of both parties.