Vibrations & Waves: Solving Mass, Spring Constant & Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 5 kg mass attached to a spring with a spring constant of 13 N/cm. By calculating the potential and kinetic energy, the total energy of the system is found to be 26J when the mass is pulled back 20 cm and released. The second problem involves a 15 kg mass with a spring constant of 20 N/cm, and the goal is to find the speed when the mass is at x = 5 cm.
Elvis
Vibrations and waves
1) A 5 kg mass, m, rests on a frictionless, horizontal, wooden table top, and is attached to one end of a spring anchored at its other end . If the spring has a spring constant=13 N/cm and the mass is pulled back (in the positive direction ) 20 cm and released, to the nearest tenth of a joule, what is its total energy?
2) if the mass is 15 kg and the spring constant is 20 N/cm, to the nearest tenth of a m/s, what is its speed at x= 5 cm?

I have solved the 1st one :

1N/cm=100N/m

E = PE + KE
E = 1/2kA^2 + 1/2mv^2 At KE v=0 because the mass stops momentarily as it changes directions. Then :

E = PE
E = 1/2kA^2
E = 1/2(13*100)*(0.2)^2
E = 26J

I have problem with the second problem. please help to solve this. I have 2 hours that I am tryin to solve it . I have only the answer that is 2.2m/s.

Please help......

:cry:Lol...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the total energy, just like you did for part one. Then use:
Elvis said:
E = PE + KE
E = 1/2kA^2 + 1/2mv^2

Solve for v, when x = 5 cm.

That equation should be: E = 1/2kx^2 + 1/2mv^2. Use x, not A (which usually stands for amplitude).

I would like to commend you for attempting to solve these problems and encourage you to continue practicing and seeking help when needed. Here is a possible solution for the second problem:

2) Using the same formula as before, we can first find the potential energy (PE) at x=5 cm:

PE = 1/2kx^2
PE = 1/2(20*100)*(0.05)^2
PE = 2.5J

Next, we can use the conservation of energy principle to find the kinetic energy (KE) at x=5 cm:

KE = E - PE
KE = 26J - 2.5J
KE = 23.5J

Finally, we can use the formula for kinetic energy to find the velocity (v):

KE = 1/2mv^2
23.5J = 1/2(15)v^2
v = √(23.5J/7.5kg)
v = 2.2 m/s (rounded to the nearest tenth)

Therefore, the speed at x=5 cm is approximately 2.2 m/s. It is important to note that the mass and spring constant are different from the first problem, so the answer will also be different. Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed!

Related to Vibrations & Waves: Solving Mass, Spring Constant & Energy

1. What is the equation for calculating the period of a mass-spring system?

The equation for calculating the period of a mass-spring system is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

2. How do you calculate the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant, k, can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement it causes. Mathematically, this can be represented as k = F/x, where F is the force and x is the displacement.

3. What is the relationship between energy and amplitude in a vibrating system?

The energy of a vibrating system is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy of the system also increases.

4. Can the mass of an object affect its vibrational frequency?

Yes, the mass of an object attached to a spring can affect its vibrational frequency. A larger mass will result in a lower frequency, while a smaller mass will result in a higher frequency.

5. How do you find the total energy of a vibrating system?

The total energy of a vibrating system can be calculated by adding the kinetic energy and potential energy of the system. This can be represented by the equation E = 1/2mv² + 1/2kx², where m is the mass, v is the velocity, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.