Vibrations of astronomical bodies

In summary, pulsars are celestial objects that rotate at predictable frequencies and can be "sonified" by assigning a beep or tone to each rotation. They typically spin between a few fractions of times per second to 600 per second, which is audible to the human ear. However, anything over 20,000 times per second would not be audible. Only very dense objects like neutron stars and black holes can spin at such high frequencies, as less-dense objects would be torn apart. There is a relationship between an object's density and its capacity to spin. Additionally, sound waves have been found in stars through helioseismology, falling within the range of human hearing. While there is a lower frequency limit for these sound waves,
Stickman76
Pulsars are known to rotate at very predictable frequencies. If a beep or short tone is assigned to each rotation, the spin of the star can be 'sonified'. Pulsars spin anywhere from a few fractions of times per second to over 600 per second. 600 cycles is audible in the human range of hearing. However if the spin were anything over 20,000 times per second, it would cease to be audible, naturally, to the human ear.

What celestial objects do we know of that spin, orbit or otherwise vibrate naturally at a rate between 20 times per second and 20,000?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Likes Stickman76
Stickman76 said:
What celestial objects do we know of that spin, orbit or otherwise vibrate naturally at a rate between 20 times per second and 20,000?

Only very dense objects like neutron stars and black holes, as far as I know. Less-dense objects would be torn apart from tidal or centrifugal forces.

Likes Stickman76 and ISamson
Thank you, that is very insightful information. And that narrows my search drastically! So that means there's a relationship to an object's density and its capacity to spin?

Stickman76 said:
Thank you, that is very insightful information. And that narrows my search drastically! So that means there's a relationship to an object's density and its capacity to spin?
Yes there is. @Drakkith is right.

Likes Stickman76
Are we talking about the Roche limit?

ISamson said:
Would this help?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance
http://www.encyclopedia.com/science/science-magazines/astronomy-and-space-science-pulsars-quasars-and-distant-questions

Thank you, yes I have done some research since the original post and now I know what objects I am looking for. Also looking into helioseismology- sound waves are found to exist in stars, also falling into the range of human hearing.

Likes ISamson
Stickman76 said:
Thank you, yes I have done some research since the original post and now I know what objects I am looking for. Also looking into helioseismology- sound waves are found to exist in stars, also falling into the range of human hearing.

With an inherent lower frequency limit but without an inherent upper limit. However, high frequencies are poorly resonated.

Related to Vibrations of astronomical bodies

1. What is the cause of vibrations in astronomical bodies?

The vibrations in astronomical bodies are caused by a variety of factors, including internal processes such as convection and magnetic fields, external forces such as gravitational interactions with other bodies, and impacts from objects like meteoroids and comets.

2. How do vibrations affect the shape of astronomical bodies?

Vibrations can cause changes in the shape of astronomical bodies, especially in smaller bodies like asteroids and comets. These changes can be due to internal processes or external forces, and can result in the formation of craters, mountains, and other surface features.

3. Can vibrations be measured in space?

Yes, vibrations in space can be measured using specialized instruments such as seismometers or accelerometers. These instruments can detect and record even small vibrations in astronomical bodies, providing valuable data for scientists to study.

4. How do scientists study the vibrations of astronomical bodies?

Scientists study the vibrations of astronomical bodies through a combination of observations with telescopes and spacecraft, laboratory experiments, and computer simulations. By analyzing the data and results from these methods, scientists can gain a better understanding of the underlying causes and effects of vibrations in different astronomical bodies.

5. Can vibrations in astronomical bodies have any impact on Earth?

Yes, vibrations in astronomical bodies can have impacts on Earth. For example, vibrations from the Sun can affect the Earth's magnetic field and cause disruptions in communication and navigation systems. Vibrations from other bodies, such as asteroids or comets, can also potentially cause collisions with Earth and impact its surface.