Vibrations and Pendelums: Work and Answer check

Thank you.In summary, the conversation involved solving various physics problems involving equations for velocity, acceleration, spring constant, and energy. The forum user provided correct solutions and was seeking confirmation on their work. The expert confirms the correctness of the solutions and encourages the user to continue asking for assistance if needed.
firefly_1
I have all of the my work and answers, I would just like someone to look over what I've done and make sure I didn't fubar a step along the way. Thanks.

31. Given: A = 1.12 mm; f = 440.0 Hz

Find: [tex]v_{m}, a_{m}[/tex]

Solution:
[tex]f = \frac {\omega}{2\pi} \Rightarrow \omega = 2\pi f[/tex]
[tex]v_{m} = \omega A \Rightarrow 2\pi (440.0Hz)(1.12mm) = 3,096 mm/s = 3.096 m/s[/tex]
[tex]a_{m} = \omega^{2}A \Rightarrow (2\pi (440.0Hz))^{2}(1.12mm) = 8,560,184 mm/s^{2} = 8560 m/s^{2} [/tex]

32. Given: m = 170 g; f = 3.00 Hz; A = 12.0 cm

Find: a) k (spring constant) b) equation that describes position as a function of time

Solution:
a) [tex] f = \frac {\omega}{2\pi} = \frac {1}{2\pi} \sqrt {\frac {k}{m}} [/tex]
[tex] 2\pi f^{2} = \sqrt {\frac {k}{m}}^{2} \Rightarrow (m)(2\pi f)^{2} = \frac {k}{m} (m) [/tex]
[tex] (m)(2\pi f)^{2} = k \Rightarrow (.17kg)(2\pi(3.00Hz))^{2} = 60.4 N/m [/tex]

b) [tex] y = (12.0cm)sin[(2\pi(3))t] \Leftarrow [/tex] This is the only one that I am having problems with. This equation is based off of another in the book, but I am not sure if I am even going in the right direction with it.

41. Given: m = 50.0 g; f = 2.0 kHz; A = 1.8 x [tex]10^{-4}[/tex]m

Find: a) [tex]F_{m}[/tex] b) E

Solution:
a) [tex]a_{m} = \omega^{2}A[/tex]
[tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex]
[tex]F_{m} = ma_{m}[/tex]
[tex] = m\omega^{2} A^{2}[/tex]
[tex] = m (2\pi f)^{2} A^{2}[/tex]
[tex] = (0.05kg)(2\pi (2 x 10^{3}Hz))^{2}(1.8 x 10^{-4}m)^{2}[/tex]
[tex] = 1421.22 N = 1.4 kN [/tex]

b) [tex] v = \omega A [/tex]
[tex] E = U = \frac {1}{2}mv^{2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {1}{2} m \omega^{2} A^{2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {1}{2}(0.05kg)(2\pi (2 x 10^{3}Hz))^{2}(1.8 x 10^{-4}m)^{2} [/tex]
[tex] = .13 J [tex]

49. Given: k = 2.5 N/m; y = (4.0cm)sin[(0.70rad/s)t]

Find: [tex]K_{m}[/tex]

Solution:
[tex] v = v_{m} = \omega A [/tex]
[tex]\omega = \sqrt {\frac {k}{m}} [/tex]
[tex]K_{m} = \frac {1}{2}mv_{m}^{2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {1}{2}m \omega^{2} A^{2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {1}{2}m (\frac {k}{m}) A^{2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {1}{2} kA^{2} \Rightarrow \frac {1}{2} (2.5N/m)(0.04m)^{2} = .002 J = 2.0 mJ [/tex]

62. Given: L = 120 cm; A = 2.0 cm; E = 5.0 mJ

Find: E if A = 3.0 cm

Solution:
[tex] v = \omega A [/tex]
[tex] \omega = \sqrt {\frac {g}{L}} [/tex]
[tex] E = U = \frac {1}{2} mv^{2}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac {1}{2} m \omega^{2} A^{2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {1}{2} m (\frac {g}{L}) A^{2} [/tex]
[tex] = \frac {2EL}{gA^{2}} = m \Rightarrow \frac{2(.005J)(1.2m)}{(9.8m/s^{2})(.02m)^{2}} = 3.06 kg [/tex]
[tex] E = \frac {1}{2} (3.06kg)(\frac {9.8m/s^{2}}{1.2m})(.03m)^{2} = .0112 J = 11.2 mJ [/tex]

So, that is what I've got. If someone could just let me know how I did, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org

I have reviewed your work and I can confirm that your calculations and solutions are correct. You have correctly used the equations for velocity, acceleration, spring constant, and energy to solve the given problems. Your solutions are also consistent with the given units and values. Great job on your work! Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for assistance or clarification if needed. Best of luck in your studies.

I appreciate the effort you have put into solving these problems and checking your work. It is always important to double check our calculations and make sure we did not make any errors along the way.

Overall, your solutions seem to be correct and follow the correct equations and formulas. The only suggestion I have is for problem 32, where you are trying to find the equation that describes position as a function of time. The equation you have written is not quite correct, as it is missing the spring constant (k) and the mass (m). The correct equation should be y = Asin(\omega t) where \omega = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}. This equation represents the amplitude (A) of the oscillation at a given time (t) and is dependent on the spring constant and mass.

Other than that, your solutions look good and your calculations are accurate. Keep up the good work!

Related to Vibrations and Pendelums: Work and Answer check

1. What is the definition of vibrations?

Vibrations are a type of mechanical oscillations that occur when an object moves back and forth around a fixed point in a repeated pattern.

2. How are vibrations different from waves?

Vibrations are a type of motion, while waves are a type of disturbance that carries energy through a medium. Vibrations can create waves, but not all waves are caused by vibrations.

3. How do pendulums work?

Pendulums work by converting potential energy into kinetic energy and back again. When a pendulum is at its highest point, it has the most potential energy. As it swings down, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. At the bottom of the swing, the pendulum has the most kinetic energy. As it swings back up, the kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy.

4. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by its length, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it is released. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period. A higher acceleration due to gravity will result in a shorter period. The angle at which a pendulum is released can also affect its period, with a larger angle resulting in a longer period.

5. How are vibrations and pendulums used in everyday life?

Vibrations and pendulums are used in many everyday applications, such as clocks, metronomes, musical instruments, and even seismographs to measure earthquakes. They are also used in engineering and architecture to dampen the effects of vibrations and create stable structures. In medicine, vibrations are used in ultrasound technology to create images of the body, and pendulums are used in pendulum clocks to keep time.