Vibrational Partition Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vibrational partition function for a diatomic molecule. The energy of a simple harmonic oscillator is derived for a single mass vibrating, but since a diatomic molecule has two masses, it is questioned how this applies. The center of mass may be considered as vibrating, but the two masses still have two normal modes of vibration. The degrees of freedom for a diatomic molecule in vibration are two, which includes the relative motion of the two atoms and the potential energy of the spring between them. A good textbook for further understanding is recommended.
manofphysics
I have a really conceptual question on vibrational partition function for a diatomic molecule.If we consider a diatomic molecule, we write :
Energy of simple harmonic oscillator=[tex]E_{i}=(n + 1/2) h\nu[/tex].We plug this eqn. into
[tex]Z_{vib}=\sum e^{-\beta\epsilon_{i}}[/tex].

Now , my question, is that the energy of harmonic oscillator has been derived for single mass vibrating under harmonic approx., but a diatomic molecule contains "two" atoms or masses.
Somewhere on the Net it was written about considering the center of mass as vibrating...but if the the two masses are vibrating in the normal modes,the center of mass remains constant.
In addition , can anybody tell me why the degrees of freedom for a diatomic molecule for vibration are 2? Shouldn't they be 3?
I have looked in reif and huang for this but I couldn't find anything.Is there good book which explains the vibrational and rotational partition functions for di and polyatomic molecules?

Thanks a lot,

Physics news on Phys.org
It's instructive to work out the classical solution to two masses attached by a spring. You will see the solution ends up having two parts: motion of the center of mass like a single particle, and "internal" vibrations of the masses in the difference coordinate x_1 - x_2. The vibrational equations end up being the same as for a single mass with a spring, but using a reduced mass [tex]\mu = m_1m_2/(m_1+m_2)[/tex].

If you want to look for a text which explains vibration and rotation in detail, I think most any advanced undergraduate physical chemistry textbook should cover it in detail.

For a diatomic molecule vibration contributes only two degrees of freedom: one is a relative motion of the two atoms vibrating about the centre of mass (the kinetic energy term) and the other is the potential energy of the spring between them.

The centre of mass motion is the usual 3 degrees of freedom that free monatomic gases have; the two vibrational degrees of freedom add to this (plus the two rotational degrees of freedom the diatomic molecule has).

Related to Vibrational Partition Function

1. What is a Vibrational Partition Function?

A Vibrational Partition Function is a mathematical tool used in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of energy among the different vibrational states of a molecule.

2. How is the Vibrational Partition Function calculated?

The Vibrational Partition Function is calculated by summing over all the possible vibrational energy states of a molecule, each weighted by the Boltzmann factor (e^(-E/kT)), where E is the energy of the state, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the significance of the Vibrational Partition Function?

The Vibrational Partition Function is important because it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a molecule, such as its internal energy, entropy, and free energy, which are crucial for understanding and predicting its behavior.

4. How does temperature affect the Vibrational Partition Function?

The Vibrational Partition Function is directly proportional to temperature. As the temperature increases, the number of occupied vibrational states also increases, leading to a higher Vibrational Partition Function.

5. Can the Vibrational Partition Function be used for all types of molecules?

Yes, the Vibrational Partition Function can be used for any molecule that has vibrational energy levels. However, it is most commonly used for diatomic molecules, as the calculation becomes more complex for larger and more complex molecules.