Vibration effect of Generators

In summary, the individual is training to become a Building Services Engineer and is facing a problem regarding the calculation of vibration from a generator and transformer on the structure of a building. They inquire about how to approach this issue and also mention the importance of using vibration isolating mounts to prevent sympathetic resonant frequencies. The conversation also touches upon the RPMs of induction motors and their expected vibrations, as well as the impact of load imbalance on V-belt coupled motors. Finally, the individual mentions the generation of a buzz from transformers at twice the fundamental frequency, which is 100Hz for 50Hz supplies and 120Hz for 60Hz supplies.
TonyTS
Hi, I am training to be a Building services engineer. I have come across a problem where I have to calculate the vibration from the generator and the transformer to the striation of the building.. how should I do it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe you mean "structure" of the building rather than "striation" of the building.
The resonant frequency of parts of the building may be sympathetic with the mechanical equipment vibration.
The equipment should be based on vibration isolating mounts.

1800 rpms?

Induction motors run at (synchronous – slip) speeds determined by load. They are usually specified with about 5% slip. Unbalance vibration from the motor can be expected in a band +/–5% of the motor design speed. That will be 0.95 * supply_frequency / poles, where the number of poles is usually 2 or 4 but can also be 6 or 8.

While the vibration from motors is at motor RPM frequency, where the driven load is coupled through V-belts, load imbalance vibration will be centred on frequencies determined by the ratio of pulley diameters.

Magnetostriction in transformers will generate a buzz at twice the fundamental frequency. For 50Hz supplies that will be 100Hz, while for 60Hz supplies it will be 120Hz.

Related to Vibration effect of Generators

1. What causes generators to vibrate?

Generators vibrate due to the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy. This conversion process creates forces that can cause the generator to vibrate.

2. How can excessive vibration be harmful to a generator?

Excessive vibration can cause damage to the internal components of a generator, leading to decreased efficiency and potentially causing the generator to malfunction or fail.

3. Can vibration be reduced in generators?

Yes, vibration can be reduced through proper maintenance and balancing of the generator's components. Installing vibration isolators or mounting the generator on a solid foundation can also help reduce vibration.

4. What are some common signs of excessive vibration in a generator?

Common signs of excessive vibration in a generator include unusual noises, visible movement of the generator, and increased wear and tear on internal components.

5. How can I prevent vibration-related issues with my generator?

To prevent vibration-related issues, it is important to perform regular maintenance on the generator, including checking and adjusting the balance of components. Proper installation, including using vibration isolators and a solid foundation, can also help prevent vibration issues.