VHDL equations to table of truth

• Thread starter Max0007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of truth tables to document the behavior of outputs in relation to inputs. Specifically, the question is whether to use one table or multiple tables for different outputs. The homework equations involve the use of s_o(0) and s_o(1) as outputs, which are part of a larger variable s_o. The recommended approach is to use one truth table with multiple outputs, and to implement it using a WITH-SELECT or PROCESS statement in VHDL.
Max0007

Homework Statement

I have a quick question here,
Since I have s_o(o) and s_o(1) do I do 2 table of truth for those or mix both and do one table of truth?

the (1)/(0 ) are confusing me.

Homework Equations

w_o <= not d_i and (b_i(1) or d_i);

s_o(0) <= d_i or b_i(1);

s_o(1) <= not b_i(0) and d_i;

The Attempt at a Solution

Thank you very much and sorry for asking so much questions lately :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are generating a truth table to document the behavior of one or more outputs as a function of some inputs, then one truth table with multiple outputs is commonly done. If your question is how best to implement a "truth table"-like description in VHDL, I have only seen single-output constructs using a WITH-SELECT or PROCESS statement.

s_o(1) and s_o(0) look like the 2 least significant bits of a variable s_o, a "bit_vector" type --probably the outputs that you are interested in defining.

Related to VHDL equations to table of truth

1. What is VHDL?

VHDL (VHSIC Hardware Description Language) is a programming language used for describing digital circuits and systems. It is commonly used in the design and verification of hardware, and is based on the Ada programming language.

2. What are equations in VHDL?

In VHDL, equations are statements that describe the relationships between inputs and outputs in a digital circuit. They are written using Boolean logic and can be used to represent the behavior of a circuit.

3. What is a truth table in VHDL?

A truth table in VHDL is a table that shows the output values for all possible combinations of input values for a given set of equations. It is used to verify the correctness of the equations and to simulate the behavior of the circuit.

4. How do you convert VHDL equations to a table of truth?

To convert VHDL equations to a table of truth, you need to create a table with columns for each input variable and one column for the output variable. Then, fill in the table with all possible combinations of input values and use the equations to calculate the corresponding output values.

5. Why is it important to create a table of truth for VHDL equations?

Creating a table of truth for VHDL equations is important because it allows for the verification and testing of the circuit's behavior. It also helps in identifying any errors or inconsistencies in the equations before implementing the circuit in hardware.