Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework

In summary: I should have added t=0 to the equation. So, the final equation would be:0 = (8.0)t + 1/2(-9.81)t^2 + 0
icurryx3

Homework Statement

A hot air balloon containing an AP Physics student ascends vertically at a constant speed of 8 m/s. While ascending, he accidentally drops his rubber duckie from the gondola of the ballong. Seven seconds after it is dropped the duckie bounces off a roof at point A and hits the ground at point B as shown in the sketch at the right.

A. Find the distance from the point where the duckie is dropped to point A
B. Find the speed of the sweet little rubber duckie just before it hits the roof

Suppose that immediately after bouncing off the roof, the velocity of the rubber duckie is 12m/s 37 degrees BELOW the horizontal and that point B is horizontal distance of 24 meters from point A.

C. Find how far point A is above point B
D. Find the duckie's time of flight between points A and B
E. Find the Velocity of the duckie the instant before it strikes the ground at Point B

Homework Equations

V = Vo+at
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad
d = VoT + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Currently just filled out my DxVxT and VoyVyadyt to the following:
Voy: 8m/s
Vy: ?
a: -9.81m/s^2
dy:?
T:?

Physics news on Phys.org
icurryx3 said:

Homework Statement

A hot air balloon containing an AP Physics student ascends vertically at a constant speed of 8 m/s. While ascending, he accidentally drops his rubber duckie from the gondola of the ballong. Seven seconds after it is dropped the duckie bounces off a roof at point A and hits the ground at point B as shown in the sketch at the right.

A. Find the distance from the point where the duckie is dropped to point A
B. Find the speed of the sweet little rubber duckie just before it hits the roof

Suppose that immediately after bouncing off the roof, the velocity of the rubber duckie is 12m/s 37 degrees BELOW the horizontal and that point B is horizontal distance of 24 meters from point A.

C. Find how far point A is above point B
D. Find the duckie's time of flight between points A and B
E. Find the Velocity of the duckie the instant before it strikes the ground at Point B

Homework Equations

V = Vo+at
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad
d = VoT + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Currently just filled out my DxVxT and VoyVyadyt to the following:
Voy: 8m/s
Vy: ?
a: -9.81m/s^2
dy:?
T:?

You haven't really shown much of an attempt at the solution yet. What is the equation for the vertical position of the ducky as a function of time?

Would that not be the VoyVyaDyT?
Or maybe it is DxVxT. I'm really unsure right now; need some info and I can solve the rest.

icurryx3 said:
Would that not be the VoyVyaDyT?
Or maybe it is DxVxT. I'm really unsure right now; need some info and I can solve the rest.

Sorry, I have no idea what any of that means.

You have the beginning of the right equation when you wrote "d = VoT + 1/2at^2", but it is incomplete. What is the full equation for y(t) in terms of y_0, Vy_0, acceleration and time...?

Ah so would it be "d = (8.0)t + 1/2(-9.81)(t)^2"

icurryx3 said:
Ah so would it be "d = (8.0)t + 1/2(-9.81)(t)^2"

Closer, but still some issues.

First, I would use y(t) on the LHS of the equation instead of d. y(t) is much more descriptive of what is going on (the ducky is moving vertically with time).

Second, you have left off the initial y position of the ducky, y(0). Where does that go in the equation?

Once you get those fixed, you have an equation for the vertical position y(t) of the ducky with respect to time. What else are you told in the problem statement? How can you use those facts and this equation to come up with the first answer to the problem? :smile:

Hmm..
So the initial position would be 0 so the equation would come out to be:
0 = (8.0)t + 1/2(-9.81)t^2
Correct?

icurryx3 said:
Hmm..
So the initial position would be 0 so the equation would come out to be:
0 = (8.0)t + 1/2(-9.81)t^2
Correct?

No. Can you explain why you wrote that equation in response to my hints?

So what I initially planned to do first was to find the distance of the balloon itself, leaving the bigger picture apart. I thought that if I found how high the balloon is, I could find the duck falling and speed easily.
This was my plan:
Balloon: Vo = 8.0 m/s
Acceleration = -9.81m/s^2
However, I need one more factor to begin solving for any variable. I thought that since it took the duck 7 seconds to fall, I could just make the time of the balloon as 7 seconds.
Where did I go wrong?

Sorry, I'm not sure what some of the terms you state actually mean.

This is the equation you need to write and fill out. It is commonly used in problems like this one:

[tex]y(t) = y_0 + {Vy_0}t + \frac{1}{2}{a_y}t^2[/tex]

Nevermind, I have solved all of the problems. The equations were quite easy to be honest, just couldn't make out a mental picture.
Thanks for the help!

Likes berkeman

1. What is Vfx and Vfy in the context of Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework?

Vfx and Vfy represent the initial velocity components in the x and y directions, respectively, for the rubber duckie being dropped in the Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework.

2. What does the value of 12m/s represent in Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework?

The value of 12m/s represents the initial velocity of the rubber duckie in the x direction, which is the horizontal direction, in the Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework.

3. What does the value of -9.81m/s represent in Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework?

The value of -9.81m/s represents the acceleration due to gravity in the y direction, which is the vertical direction, in the Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework.

4. How is the acceleration due to gravity related to the rubber duckie's motion in the Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework?

The acceleration due to gravity, represented by the value of -9.81m/s, affects the vertical motion of the rubber duckie as it falls. This acceleration causes the duckie's velocity to increase in the downward direction at a rate of 9.81 meters per second every second.

5. How can Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework be used to calculate the final position of the rubber duckie?

Vfx: 12m/sVfy: -9.81m/sRubber Duckie Drop Homework can be used to calculate the final position of the rubber duckie by using the equations of motion, specifically the equation for displacement in the y direction: Δy = Vfy*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where Vfy is the initial y velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the duckie has been falling. By plugging in the known values, the final position of the rubber duckie can be calculated.