Very stupid question about Wigner's Theorem

In summary, Wigner's representation theorem states that for any invertible transformation between rays of a Hilbert space that preserves transition probabilities, there exists a corresponding transformation on the Hilbert space itself, which can be either unitary or antiunitary. This is applicable for Hilbert spaces of dimension at least two. However, in a one-dimensional Hilbert space, there may be exceptions to this rule, where the transformations coincide and induce the identity on rays.
Petr Mugver
Wigner's representation theorem says that any invertible transformation between rays of a Hilbert space that preserves transition probabilities can be implemented by a transformation on the Hilbert space itself, which is either unitary or antiunitary, depending on the particular transformation considered, right?

For example, you can find in any QM book that almost all symmetries are represented by linear operators, the only significant exception being time inversion, right?

I present here the most trivial example I can imagine: a one-dimensional Hilbert space. The two complex function of complex variable

[tex]f(z)=z\qquad\textrm{and}\qquad g(z)=z^*[/tex]

are, respectively, unitary and antiunitary, and they both induce the same transformation between rays of the Hilbert space [tex]H=\mathbb{C}[/tex], the identity transformation.

I know the solution of this apparent paradox should be easy, but I really can't see it! I know the proof of the theorem, and it doesn't help!

Any hint woukd be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Petr Mugver said:
I present here the most trivial example I can imagine: a one-dimensional Hilbert space. The two complex function of complex variable

[tex]f(z)=z\qquad\textrm{and}\qquad g(z)=z^*[/tex]

are, respectively, unitary and antiunitary, and they both induce the same transformation between rays of the Hilbert space [tex]H=\mathbb{C}[/tex], the identity transformation.

I don't understand your example. How is the operation of complex conjugation
equivalent to the identity transformation? If you're saying the z (a complex number) is
a complex multiple of z*, then effectively there's only one state (ray), and all (invertible)
transformations are the identity transformation. The transformations are different if
the Hilbert space is considered as a vector space, but coincide if we revert to a projective
space of rays.

Wigner's theorem doesn't say (iirc) that the unitary and antiunitary transformations
must be distinct for every possible type of Hilbert space.

Maybe try a slightly less trivial example of a 2D Hilbert space?

strangerep said:
I don't understand your example. How is the operation of complex conjugation
equivalent to the identity transformation? If you're saying the z (a complex number) is
a complex multiple of z*, then effectively there's only one state (ray), and all (invertible)
transformations are the identity transformation. The transformations are different if
the Hilbert space is considered as a vector space, but coincide if we revert to a projective
space of rays.

Yes, using the definition of rays, the two transformations coincide (you have to consider the Hilbert space as a space on complex numbers, but that's what you usually do in QM). In a one-dimensional Hilbert space there are actually two rays, because (but this probably depends on the definition you adopt) z=0 is a ray all alone. Not only the invertible transformations induce the identity on rays, it is sufficient, for example, that f(0)=0 and that f(z) is different from zero for z different from zero (you can find horrible functions that belong to this class!) and the induced map will be the identity anyway!

strangerep said:
Wigner's theorem doesn't say (iirc) that the unitary and antiunitary transformations
must be distinct for every possible type of Hilbert space.

Well, if a transformation is unitary, then it can't be antiunitary and vice versa...so I suppose they must be different!

Petr Mugver said:
Wigner's representation theorem says that any invertible transformation between rays of a Hilbert space that preserves transition probabilities can be implemented by a transformation on the Hilbert space itself, which is either unitary or antiunitary, depending on the particular transformation considered, right?d.

No. Should be: "of a Hilbert space of dimension at least two."

Last edited:

Related to Very stupid question about Wigner's Theorem

1. What is Wigner's Theorem?

Wigner's Theorem is a mathematical theorem in quantum mechanics that describes the relationship between the symmetries of a physical system and the symmetries of its wave function.

2. How does Wigner's Theorem apply to real world situations?

Wigner's Theorem has many practical applications, such as in quantum computing, where it is used to analyze the behavior of quantum algorithms. It also has implications in particle physics and atomic and molecular physics.

3. Can you explain Wigner's Theorem in simpler terms?

Wigner's Theorem states that if a physical system has a symmetry, then its wave function must also have that same symmetry. In other words, the symmetries of a physical system are reflected in the symmetries of its wave function.

4. What is the significance of Wigner's Theorem in quantum mechanics?

Wigner's Theorem is significant because it helps us understand the underlying symmetries of quantum systems and how they are related to the symmetries of their wave functions. It also has practical applications in various fields of physics and technology.

5. Are there any limitations to Wigner's Theorem?

Like any mathematical theorem, Wigner's Theorem has its limitations. It is only applicable to quantum systems that have discrete symmetries, and it does not account for systems with continuous symmetries. Additionally, it does not provide a complete understanding of the behavior of quantum systems and is often used in conjunction with other mathematical tools and theories.