Very specific question on current draw from a dc power supply

In summary: No need for a voltage regulator on those occasions.You can safely tap out the +5V and Ground from your computer and use it on the breadboard of 555.
matinm90
okay so I am just slightly confused about current and about how it is drawn from a power supply, so say we have a device that requires 5 volts and uses a max of 550 milliamps, and now let's say that the power supply used is rated at 5 volts, but 32 amps, does this mean that the power supply pushes out 32 amps regardless? or is current drawn by the device based on what it needs? forgive me if this question sounds obvious to some, but I am just a little confused about it, thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, the power supply rated 5V and 32A mean it can provide up to 32A of current. If you draw only 0.5A, it is perfectly fine.

Okay so theoretically let's just say I wanted to use a 5 volt line from a power supply from a computer, would I be able to just connect the + and ground to a bread board to use with an op amp or 555 chip? I hope I explained the question clearly. And thank you, it was really helpful.

Yes, you can safely tap out the +5V and Ground from your computer and use it on the breadboard of 555.

Okay so theoretically let's just say I wanted to use a 5 volt line from a power supply from a computer,

You didn't say if this power supply was still in the computer.

You cannot simple take a power supply out of a computer, connect it to the mains and expect to use any of the voltage outputs - it simply won't turn on.

It is possible to modify a computer power supply to become a useful and cheap bench unit, but you will need greater electrical experience to accomplish this safely.

go well

Studiot said:
You didn't say if this power supply was still in the computer.

You cannot simple take a power supply out of a computer, connect it to the mains and expect to use any of the voltage outputs - it simply won't turn on.

It is possible to modify a computer power supply to become a useful and cheap bench unit, but you will need greater electrical experience to accomplish this safely.

go well
That depends on the PSU.

I can use the 5V supply on mine without any modifications, but as soon as I tried to use the -12V supply it tripped out.

Actually you can short the ps_on pin and a common ground pin to turn it on and yes it works I tried millions of times before. And thank you all for your help, but does anyone know why there are so many common ground leads on computer power suPplies? Lol. But thank you all for your helP.

Wall warts are very handy for this sort of thing. Everyone seems o have some of those, skulking about in a drawer somewhere. (Check the label to see what it should be delivering)

And thank you all for your help, but does anyone know why there are so many common ground leads on computer power suPplies?

very simply...
For the same reason that there is multiple +5 and +12V etc leads
it spreads the high current load anyone of those single small cables isn't going to carry the 10++ amps so you increase the number of wires to decrease the resistance and therefore decrease the voltage drop.

and yes, using computer power supplies outside of the computer is VERY easy to do. They make awesome hi current supplies.

cheers
Dave

Oh okay I see, that makes perfect sense actually. Now if I needed to use a 5 volt low potential connection would the common ground be good enough? Cuz I'm used to the traditional low potential and high potential connections.

Related to Very specific question on current draw from a dc power supply

1. How do I calculate the current draw from a DC power supply?

To calculate the current draw from a DC power supply, you will need to know the voltage of the power supply and the resistance of the circuit. Using Ohm's law (I = V/R), you can calculate the current draw by dividing the voltage by the resistance.

2. What factors can affect the current draw from a DC power supply?

The current draw from a DC power supply can be affected by various factors such as the voltage and resistance of the circuit, the voltage and current rating of the power supply, the type and quality of the components used in the circuit, and any external factors such as temperature and humidity.

3. How can I reduce the current draw from a DC power supply?

The current draw from a DC power supply can be reduced by using components with lower resistance values, using a power supply with a lower voltage or current rating, optimizing the circuit design, and implementing energy-saving techniques such as using sleep modes or reducing the load on the power supply.

4. What is the difference between maximum current and operating current from a DC power supply?

The maximum current refers to the highest current that a power supply can provide before it reaches its limit and shuts off. The operating current, on the other hand, is the actual amount of current that is being drawn by the circuit at a given time. It is important to ensure that the operating current is within the maximum current limit of the power supply to avoid damaging the components or causing a power supply failure.

5. How can I measure the current draw from a DC power supply?

The current draw from a DC power supply can be measured using a multimeter or an ammeter. Make sure to set the device to the correct range and connect it in series with the circuit to get an accurate measurement. It is recommended to measure the current draw at different points in the circuit to get a better understanding of the power usage.