Very nice spinal cord injury paralysis Tx advance

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a promising treatment for spinal cord injuries, particularly for a patient who is an ED doctor and surfer. This treatment has been successful in helping him recover from an injury he sustained while surfing. The conversation also touched on the interest in the neuroscience of the spinal cord and how it can "rewire" itself. Additionally, a new surgical technique was mentioned that can help reconnect sensory roots to the spinal cord. This technique has been successful in some cases and is seen as a potential solution for repairing spinal cord injuries.
berkeman
Mentor
I have always been interested in spinal cord injury treatment (Tx), both from my medical background and also my EE/Biomed background (and because of some personal reasons). This appears to be a very promising Tx.

It's ironic that this patient (Pt) is an ED Doc and surfer. I'll try to find a more clinical report about this Pt and Tx...

Pioneering spine injury protocol leads to holiday miracle for surfer injured at Ocean Beach
http://abc7news.com/health/pioneeri...-leads-to-holiday-miracle-for-surfer/2812829/

Last edited:
Likes BillTre, jim mcnamara and Charles Link
Biology news on Phys.org
A part of me also have a special interest in the neuroscience simply because its an amazing complex system where we all happen to have our own copy of. I am interested in the field just from the abstracty perspective of self-organising complex systems, and how their internal workings relfect their behaviour. Apart from surgical problems which is not interesting for me, its is extremely interesting to understand how the BRAIN can "rewire" or relearn on its own, if there is say a corruption of miswiring of signals.

This is also an interesting article
Surgery can prompt sensory nerves to ‘sprout’ fresh connections to spinal cord
"THE quest to repair spinal cord injuries is a medical holy grail. Now, we’re beginning to understand how it could be done. And the fix may already be in our own bodies...The Kings College researchers say they have found a new surgical technique for reconnecting sensory roots."
-- http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/surgery-can-prompt-sensory-nerves-to-sprout-fresh-connections-to-spinal-cord/news-story/e22d49b3772d03e7f008524abf8d53a8

/Fredrik

Likes berkeman

Related to Very nice spinal cord injury paralysis Tx advance

1. What is a spinal cord injury?

A spinal cord injury is damage to the spinal cord, which is a bundle of nerves that runs from the base of the brain to the lower back. This injury can disrupt communication between the brain and the rest of the body, leading to paralysis and other physical impairments.

2. What causes spinal cord injuries?

Spinal cord injuries can be caused by a variety of factors, including car accidents, sports injuries, falls, and acts of violence. The most common cause is trauma, but diseases such as multiple sclerosis and spinal cord tumors can also lead to spinal cord injuries.

3. What is the current treatment for spinal cord injury paralysis?

Treatment for spinal cord injury paralysis varies depending on the severity and location of the injury. In general, treatment includes a combination of physical therapy, medications, and assistive devices. Stem cell therapy and surgical interventions may also be used in some cases.

4. What are some recent advancements in the treatment of spinal cord injury paralysis?

Recent advancements in the treatment of spinal cord injury paralysis include the use of exoskeletons, which are wearable robotic suits that help individuals with paralysis to walk. There have also been developments in neuroprosthetics, which use electronic devices to stimulate the nervous system and restore movement in paralyzed limbs.

5. Is there a cure for spinal cord injury paralysis?

Currently, there is no known cure for spinal cord injury paralysis. However, with advancements in medical technology and ongoing research, there is hope for future treatments that may help to repair damaged spinal cords and restore function to those with paralysis.