[Very Easy] Factors, Divisors and Mechanical Advantage

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanical advantage of a lever and how force and distance are affected. The equation F x d = 0.8F x ?(d) is used to demonstrate this concept, with d being multiplied by 1/0.8 or divided by 0.8 to cancel out the 0.8 alongside F. However, there is some confusion about this operation, as shown in the example calculation.
Wolfowitz

Homework Statement

The mechanical advantage of a lever is 0.08; force is not amplified, it is simply diminished; distance, however, is increased:

Work input = Work output
F x d = F x d
F x d = 0.8F x ?(d)

This must be a really basic question, but I'm compelled to ask as I'm somewhat innumerate - what's 'd' multiplied or divided by for the equation to be true?

Physics news on Phys.org
d is multiplied by 1/0.8
so that it cancels the 0.8 alongside the F
to leave you with F x d as before

which is the same as saying d is divided by 0.8, though, to me, not as clear.

Really? Presume f = 2, d = 4:

F x D = F x D
2 x 4 = 0.8(2) + 1.25(4)
8 = 1.6 + 5
8 = 6.6

?

Where did that addition operation spring from?

I would like to clarify that the equation provided is not entirely correct. The mechanical advantage of a lever is actually the ratio of the output force to the input force, not the ratio of work input to work output. The correct equation would be:

Mechanical Advantage = Output force / Input force

In this case, the mechanical advantage is 0.08, which means that for every 1 unit of input force, the lever produces 0.08 units of output force. This does not mean that the force is diminished, but rather that the output force is smaller than the input force.

As for the role of distance in this equation, it is not directly involved. The distance is only relevant in determining the work input and output, but it does not affect the mechanical advantage.

In summary, the equation provided is not entirely accurate and it is important to understand the correct definition of mechanical advantage. I would suggest seeking further clarification or consulting with a math or physics expert for a better understanding.

Related to [Very Easy] Factors, Divisors and Mechanical Advantage

1. What is the difference between factors and divisors?

Factors are numbers that can be multiplied together to get a given number. Divisors are numbers that can evenly divide into a given number without leaving a remainder.

2. How do you find the factors of a number?

To find the factors of a number, you can list all the numbers that can divide into the given number without leaving a remainder. These numbers will be the factors of the given number.

3. What is the relationship between factors and prime numbers?

A prime number is a number that is only divisible by 1 and itself. Therefore, the only factors of a prime number are 1 and itself. Every number has at least two factors, but a prime number only has two factors.

4. What is mechanical advantage and how is it calculated?

Mechanical advantage is a measure of the force amplification achieved by using a tool or machine. It is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force.

5. How can mechanical advantage be increased?

Mechanical advantage can be increased by using tools or machines with a higher ratio of output force to input force. This can be achieved through the use of gears, levers, and pulleys.