Very basics general chem questions.

In summary, the student is confused about balancing an equation and the use of subscripts outside parentheses. They also have a question about oxyanions and the naming system for them. They incorrectly assumed that an ion with 3 oxygens always ends in -ate, but this is not always the case. They also mention a mistake in a formula involving CaSO4 and Al2(SO4)2.
Agent M27
I am in general chemistry I, and need a little clarification of the following:

When balancing an EQ say CaSO4 + AlCl3 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] CaCl2 + Al2(SO4)2
The subscript 2 outside of the parentheses confuses me. Do I distribute that 2 to make it S2 & O8? This is a homework problem, but I do not need it solved, I just need to know what type of operation the subscript outside the parentheses will take.

Another is relating to Oxyanions. My book states the following, "Notice that when a series of oxyanions contains different numbers of oxygen atoms, they are named systematically according to the number of oxygen atoms in the ion. If there are only two ions in the series, the one with more oxygen atoms is given the ending -ate & the one with less is given the ending -ite." It then gives the example of NO3 as nitrate & NO2 as nitrite. I originally took this explanation to mean that an ion containg 3 oxygens always ends with -ate and an ion with 2 oygens ending in -ite. The question came up on a test with SO3 where and I answered with sulfate. This is infact not true, so what is the rule? It mentions a series of oxyanions, so I take it to mean NO has only two versions, where as SO has more than two versions. Is this correct? Thanks in advance everyone.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
It means you have 2 SO4. SO4 + SO4 has 2 S and 8 O. I'd be careful when you say O8, you have 8 oxygen atoms total on the right side, not 8 oxygen atoms bound together like in oxygen molecule (O2)

As for the second part, sulfate is SO4, sulfite is SO3, hyposulfite is SO2, and so on. No such thing as 3 oxygens 'always' being -ate. You just going to have to know this. What is certain is that lowest oxidation anion usually ends with hypo...ite and highest oxidation state ends with hyper...ate

Last edited:
Agent M27 said:
I am in general chemistry I, and need a little clarification of the following:

When balancing an EQ say CaSO4 + AlCl3 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] CaCl2 + Al2(SO4)2
The subscript 2 outside of the parentheses confuses me.

Joe
Before you get any farther (and when you do, the answer is no, you do not distribute the subscript), it is definitely worth noting that you have an incorrect formula there (bolded). Can you figure out what the error is?

Related to Very basics general chem questions.

1. What is the definition of an element?

An element is a substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means. It is made up of atoms that all have the same number of protons in their nucleus.

2. What is the periodic table and how is it used?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of all known elements based on their atomic structure and chemical properties. It is used to organize and categorize elements, making it easier to study and understand their characteristics and behaviors.

3. What are the three states of matter and how do they differ?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. They differ in their molecular arrangement and the amount of energy the molecules possess. Solids have a fixed shape and volume, liquids have a fixed volume but take the shape of their container, and gases have neither a fixed shape nor volume and will expand to fill their container.

4. What is the difference between an atom and a molecule?

An atom is the smallest unit of matter that retains the properties of an element. It is made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. A molecule is a combination of two or more atoms held together by chemical bonds. Molecules can be made up of atoms of the same element or different elements.

5. How do you calculate the number of neutrons in an atom?

The number of neutrons in an atom can be calculated by subtracting the atomic number (number of protons) from the mass number (sum of protons and neutrons). For example, an atom with an atomic number of 7 and a mass number of 14 would have 7 neutrons (14-7=7).