Very basic questions regarding thermal energy and radiation.

In summary, the conversation discussed different types of heat transfers, including conduction and convection, and focused on radiation as a means of transferring energy through electromagnetic waves. It was noted that not all forms of electromagnetic waves are visible, and that radiation can also refer to other types of energy emission, such as from radioactivity. The discussion also touched on the concept of electrons releasing photons as they jump between energy levels.
supernova1203
So we were studying about different types of heat transfers, conduction, convection, and finally we learned about radiation, it was sort of confusing, so I am going to write stuff, and hopefully someone can see what i wrote and see if its correct.

basically the book says

'Radiation

Energy from the sun is transferred through the vacuum of space, without being carried by particles, in the form of radiation. In cases like this, hot objects lose thermal energy by emitting electromagnetic waves. Sometimes these electromagnetic waves are visible and the objects glow brightly like the sun or like very hot metal. At other times warm objects emit non visible forms of electromagnetic radiation, such as microwaves, infrared waves and x rays. Usually hot objects lose heat due to infrared rays. This process is sometimes called heat radiation. '

and what i got from that is

-Light is a form of electromagnetic wave

-not all forms of electromagnetic waves are visible

-All electromagnetic waves are radiation?

- Thermal energy is transferred from heat to radiant energy(or radiation)

Physics news on Phys.org
supernova1203 said:
-Light is a form of electromagnetic wave

Yes.

supernova1203 said:
-not all forms of electromagnetic waves are visible

Yes.

Note: some people use the term "light" to refer only to the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, but you will also see people using light as a more general term that could encompass radiation from any part of the spectrum: e.g. ultraviolet "light", infrared "light", x-ray "light". Or even just, "it emits 'light' " (not necessarily implied to be visible). So, this second sense of the word "light" can be thought of as a direct synonym for electromagnetic radiation. I just thought I'd point this out, since the terminology can be confusing.

supernova1203 said:
-All electromagnetic waves are radiation?

Yes.

Radiation is the more general term for something that radiates: i.e. that moves outwards in all directions from one central source. Actually, it doesn't necessarily have to be in all directions. Anyway, electromagnetic radiation is a type of radiation, but the word radiation can be used in other contexts to refer to different things. For instance, the radiation associated with "radioactivity" consists of high energy particles (typically atomic nuclei) that are emitted as products of the radioactive decay of unstable elements. That is not the type of radiation we are talking about here, but it is the thing that is most commonly thought of as "radiation" by the lay person.

supernova1203 said:
- Thermal energy is transferred from heat to radiant energy(or radiation)

Yes.

When we talk about about "radiation" as a mechanism of heat transfer, we are talking specifically about electromagnetic radiation. Things can cool down (lose thermal energy) by radiating light (electromagnetic radiation), and this is the heat transfer mechanism that is being referred to as "radiation" in your book (in contrast with conduction and convection, which are cooling mechanisms that don't involve emitting light).

Last edited:
cepheid said:
Yes.

Radiation is the more general term for something that radiates: i.e. that moves outwards in all directions from one central source. Actually, it doesn't necessarily have to be in all directions. Anyway, electromagnetic radiation is a type of radiation, but the word radiation can be used in other contexts to refer to different things. For instance, the radiation associated with "radioactivity" consists of high energy particles (typically atomic nuclei) that are emitted as products of the radioactive decay of unstable elements. That is not the type of radiation we are talking about here, but it is the thing that is most commonly thought of as "radiation" by the lay person.

I see...so i also read that when electrons jump down an orbit, they release photons(light) would that be considered radiation? Is that nuclear radiation or electromagnetic radiation that's being referred to in my book?

#edit. that energy that is released as light(Photons) is the exact difference that exists between the 2 levels of energy difference of the orbits, right?

Last edited:
supernova1203 said:
I see...so i also read that when electrons jump down an orbit, they release photons(light) would that be considered radiation? Is that nuclear radiation or electromagnetic radiation that's being referred to in my book?

#edit. that energy that is released as light(Photons) is the exact difference that exists between the 2 levels of energy difference of the orbits, right?

Yes, that would be considered radiation.

No, Nuclear Radiation tends to be Helium nuclei, high energy electrons, or high energy light, not just necessarily light.

And yes, but don't forget the uncertainty in energy proposed by QM.

through the process of heat radiation.

- This process occurs when hot objects emit infrared waves, which carry thermal energy away from the object.

- The sun's energy is transferred to Earth through radiation, as it travels through the vacuum of space.

- Radiation is one of the three main types of heat transfer, along with conduction and convection.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the basics of thermal energy and radiation. Just to clarify, yes, all forms of electromagnetic waves are considered radiation, including visible light, infrared waves, microwaves, and x-rays. This form of energy transfer is particularly important in the context of the sun's energy reaching Earth, as well as heat transfer within our atmosphere and in everyday objects. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Very basic questions regarding thermal energy and radiation.

What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is a type of energy that is related to the temperature of an object. It is the total kinetic energy of all the particles that make up an object. The higher the temperature, the more thermal energy an object has.

How is thermal energy transferred?

Thermal energy is transferred through three main processes: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves. This can occur in the form of visible light, infrared radiation, or even radio waves. All objects with a temperature above absolute zero emit some form of radiation.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are related but different concepts. Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object. In other words, heat is the flow of thermal energy, while temperature is a measure of the amount of thermal energy an object contains.

How does thermal energy affect matter?

Thermal energy can cause matter to change states, such as melting or boiling. It can also cause objects to expand or contract. Additionally, the amount of thermal energy an object has can affect its physical properties, such as conductivity and density.