Very basic Inverse square law problem

In summary, the sun radiates energy at a rate of 1400 joules per square meter per second, which is determined by the inverse square law. This law states that the intensity of the influence of a point source, such as the sun, decreases as the square of the distance from the source. This applies to various phenomena, including gravitational force, electric field, light, sound, and radiation.
Learnphysics
The intensity of solar energy from the sun arriving at the Earth's surface is aproximatly 1400 joules, per square meter, per second.

The sun is 1.5 x 10^11m away from earth. At what rate is the sun radiating energy? per meter squared on its surface.

The soloution is
1400 = E/(1.5* 10^11)^2

and that becomes 1400 / (1.5*10^11)^2 = E

THe inverse square law is I = 1/d^2. However this equation replaces 1 with the E. Could someone explain why this is done?

Physics news on Phys.org
THe inverse square law is I = 1/d^2.

This is not right. Can't you see that the units are wrong ? The correct expression is I = A/d^2 where A has the appropriate dimensions.

oh, umm... what do you mean the units are wrong? sorry if the question is completely childish, I'm new to physics.

Would this question be better answered in the HW "introductory physics" forum?

Dw i got it

i thick it comes from the two sphere surface area ratio,
one is the big ball centering the sun and touching the earth, the other is the solar surface itself.

true, the surface area of a sphere is given by 4pi(r)^2. And so, the surface area is related to the distance from the center of the sphere (the radius).

Inverse Square Law, General

Any point source which spreads its influence equally in all directions without a limit to its range will obey the inverse square law. This comes from strictly geometrical considerations. The intensity of the influence at any given radius r is the source strength divided by the area of the sphere. Being strictly geometric in its origin, the inverse square law applies to diverse phenomena. Point sources of gravitational force, electric field, light, sound or radiation obey the inverse square law. It is a subject of continuing debate with a source such as a skunk on top of a flag pole; will it's smell drop off according to the inverse square law?

isq.gif

Related to Very basic Inverse square law problem

1. What is the inverse square law?

The inverse square law is a mathematical principle that states the intensity of a physical quantity, such as light or gravity, decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source. This means that the farther away an object is from the source, the weaker its effect will be.

2. How is the inverse square law used in science?

The inverse square law is used to describe the relationship between distance and intensity for a variety of physical phenomena. For example, it can be used to calculate the intensity of light at different distances from a source, or the force of gravity between two objects.

3. What is the equation for the inverse square law?

The equation for the inverse square law is I = k/d^2, where I is the intensity, k is a constant, and d is the distance from the source. This equation can be used to solve for any of the variables, as long as the other two are known.

4. Can the inverse square law be applied to all physical quantities?

No, the inverse square law only applies to quantities that radiate outwards from a source, such as light, sound, or gravitational force. It does not apply to all physical quantities, such as temperature or pressure, which do not radiate outwards.

5. What are some practical applications of the inverse square law?

The inverse square law has many practical applications in science and everyday life. It is used in fields such as astronomy, photography, and radiation therapy. It also helps explain why distant objects appear dimmer or why the force of gravity decreases as you move away from Earth.