Very basic fluid statics and dynamics question

In summary: However, the pressure gradients will quickly equilibrate and any changes in pressure will be indeterminate for an incompressible fluid. To determine the absolute values of the pressures, the fluid must be treated as compressible and the initial pressure must be specified before rotation.
iScience
consider the image on the drawing at the top (above the yellow arrow)

zEWCdDS.png

if i had some non-compressible fluid enclosed in a pipe like container that looped back in on itself (as shown in figure), and if the container was non-elastic, when i rotate this container filled with fluid such that the long axis is vertical, i suspect, that for a short lived time interval, that there will initially be greater pressure at the bottom (where the red arrows are), and there will be a negative pressure at the very top (green arrow). However, because the fluid is incompressible, and encased in a closed container (there is no air inside the container), i suspect that any pressure gradients in the fluid will quickly equilibrate with the rest of the system (fluid). so, my question is, when i rotate the container such that its long axis is vertical, will i get an increase in pressure in my system? or will the pressure gradients cancel exactly?

Physics news on Phys.org
So imagine if you just had a single tube (assume the fluid can flow in a circle if it wants to), and repeat the thought experiment. What would you expect to happen to the pressure measured at various places in the tube?

What if you keep the rotation going?

single tube? are you referring to a straight flat tube with an inlet on one end and an outlet on the other?

The pressure will be higher at the bottom of the container and lower at the top of the container because of the hydrostatic head of liquid. This will not go away with time.

If the fluid is perfectly incompressible, then the absolute values of the pressures are indeterminate. You know this because, if you change the pressure on an incompressible fluid, the volume doesn't change. So if you did this experiment with two different starting pressures in the fluid, you would get the same result.

The only way to get the absolute values of the pressures is to treat the fluid as compressible, and to specify the initial pressure before the loop is rotated into the new position.

Chet

I can confirm that your suspicion is correct. When the container is rotated, there will initially be a difference in pressure at the bottom and top due to the gravitational force acting on the fluid. However, since the fluid is incompressible and the container is closed, the pressure gradients will quickly equilibrate and there will be no net increase in pressure in the system. This is because the fluid will redistribute itself in response to the change in orientation, resulting in the cancellation of any pressure gradients. This phenomenon is known as hydrostatic equilibrium and is a fundamental principle in fluid statics.

Related to Very basic fluid statics and dynamics question

1. What is fluid statics and dynamics?

Fluid statics and dynamics is the study of fluids (liquids and gases) at rest and in motion. It involves understanding the behavior of fluids under various conditions and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What is the difference between fluid statics and fluid dynamics?

Fluid statics deals with the behavior of fluids at rest, while fluid dynamics studies the movement and flow of fluids. In other words, fluid statics focuses on the forces acting on a fluid in equilibrium, while fluid dynamics examines the forces that cause fluids to move or change direction.

3. What are some real-world applications of fluid statics and dynamics?

Fluid statics and dynamics have many practical applications, such as in designing aircrafts and ships, understanding the flow of blood in the human body, predicting weather patterns, and designing hydraulic systems for machinery.

4. What is the equation for calculating pressure in a fluid?

The equation for pressure in a fluid is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is the force acting on the fluid, and A is the area over which the force is applied. In other words, pressure is equal to the force per unit area.

5. How does the shape of an object affect the fluid forces acting on it?

The shape of an object can greatly influence the fluid forces acting on it. For example, a streamlined shape creates less resistance and is more aerodynamic, while a blunt shape experiences more resistance and is less efficient. This is why airplanes and cars are designed with streamlined shapes to reduce drag and improve performance.