Vertically polarized light from a hene laser passes through a linear

In summary, this conversation discusses the percentage of vertically polarized light transmitted through a linear polarizer with an orientation of 15° and the polarization angle of the transmitted light. It also explores the effects of adding a second polarizer at a 45° orientation, resulting in a 69.98% transmission and a polarization angle of 45°. The conversation also considers the function of polarizers and the resultant angle of light after passing through two polarizers at a 90° orientation.
tizio

Homework Statement

1. Vertically polarized light from a helium neon laser passes through a linear polarizer with its axis of polarization oriented 15° from the vertical axis. Assuming no absorption or reflection:
(a) What percentage of the light will be transmitted?
(b) What will be the polarization angle of the transmitted light?

2. In question #1, if a second polarizer is placed in the beam after the first polarizer with its axis oriented at 45° from the vertical axis:
(a) How much light is transmitted?
(b) What will be the polarization angle of the transmitted light?

Homework Equations

I believe that Malus's Law applies for Q1: I = Iocos^2 [itex]\theta[/itex]i

The Attempt at a Solution

Q1(a+b): I = Io cos^2 (15°) = Io 0.9330 = 93.3% Io at 15°

Q2(a): Second polarizer uses same formula except that only 93.3% of incident light has gotten through resulting in following change:
I = .933 Io cos^2 (45°) = .933 (0.5) Io = 0.4665 Io at 30° (45-15)

I don't have a lot of confidence in the answer to Q2.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the angle between the light and the polarizer for Q2? It is not 45° - this is the angle between polarizer orientation and vertical axis.

at 30° (45-15)
That is not the polarization direction after the polarizer.

If the light passes through the first polarizer at 15° and then passes through another polarizer at 45° to vertical, then is the effect cumulative? Would it then be 45° + 15° = 60° overall?

OK...I think I figured out some of this:
A2: (a) I think the formula for both polarizers is: I = Io cos^2(15°) Io cos^2 (30°) which ends up to be I = 0.6998 Io or 69.98% (rounded)
A2: (b) Still not quite sure how to figure out the polarization angle mathematically other than I'm pretty sure that the 45° polarizer results in quarter phase shift.

A2: (a) I think the formula for both polarizers is: I = Io cos^2(15°) Io cos^2 (30°) which ends up to be I = 0.6998 Io or 69.98% (rounded)
Right.
A2: (b) Still not quite sure how to figure out the polarization angle mathematically other than I'm pretty sure that the 45° polarizer results in quarter phase shift.
You do this way too complicated. It is a polarizer. What does a polarizer do?

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your help!

A polarizer, as I understand it, blocks/absorbs some light waves and orients the remaining light waves linearly (on a plane, actually, that diverges from the y-axis by θ) as it passes through the "picket fence" openings of the polarizer. If you have 2 polarizers oriented at 90° though, doesn't it block all light (back to Malus's Law-cos 90° = 0)?

Does that mean, in this example, that the resultant light after passing through the two polarizers is oriented at 45°?

tizio said:
A polarizer, as I understand it, blocks/absorbs some light waves and orients the remaining light waves linearly (on a plane, actually, that diverges from the y-axis by θ) as it passes through the "picket fence" openings of the polarizer. If you have 2 polarizers oriented at 90° though, doesn't it block all light (back to Malus's Law-cos 90° = 0)?

Does that mean, in this example, that the resultant light after passing through the two polarizers is oriented at 45°?
Yes to both.

Likes 1 person

Related to Vertically polarized light from a hene laser passes through a linear

1. What is vertically polarized light?

Vertically polarized light is a type of light in which the electric field oscillates in a vertical direction. This means that the light waves are aligned in a vertical plane, rather than a horizontal one.

2. How is polarized light produced by a hene laser?

A hene (helium-neon) laser produces polarized light by using a polarizing filter to select and amplify light waves that are aligned in a specific direction. In this case, the filter allows only vertically polarized light to pass through.

3. What is the significance of using a linear polarizer with a hene laser?

By using a linear polarizer with a hene laser, we can control the polarization of the light beam. This is useful in various applications such as optical communication, spectroscopy, and microscopy.

4. What happens when vertically polarized light passes through a linear polarizer?

When vertically polarized light from a hene laser passes through a linear polarizer, only the light waves that are oscillating in a vertical direction are able to pass through the filter. The rest of the light is either absorbed or reflected.

5. Can the polarization of light be changed after passing through a linear polarizer?

Yes, the polarization of light can be changed after passing through a linear polarizer by using a second polarizer at a different angle. This allows for the manipulation and control of the light's polarization, which is important in many optical applications.