Vertical velocity of a soccer ball

In summary, the question asks for the vertical velocity of a soccer ball after being kicked with a force of 17.0 N for 0.090 seconds at a 28 degree angle. The equations used to solve this problem are y = vyt + 1/2gt^2, vyf = vy + gt, and vf = vi + at. The solution requires finding the change in momentum, or impulse, of the kick and using the given force and time to calculate the vertical velocity. Additional help and clarification can be found by referring to the link provided.
ahrog

Homework Statement

A force of 17.0 N is applied to a 0.34 kg soccer ball for 0.090s, causing it to move off at 28 degrees above the horizontal. Determine the vertical velocity of the soccer ball at the end of the 0.090 second time interval.

Homework Equations

y= vyt + 1/2gt2
vyf= vy + gt
vf= vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand how to do this. How should I go about doing this? I'm thinking that maybe I have to find the acceleration of the ball, then find the velocity, but I'm not really sure how I should go about doing that.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing change in momentum that comes from the impulse of the kick delivered.

So what do you suggest I do?

That doesn't help me much...

Related to Vertical velocity of a soccer ball

1. What is the vertical velocity of a soccer ball?

The vertical velocity of a soccer ball refers to the speed at which the ball is moving in an upward or downward direction. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

2. How is the vertical velocity of a soccer ball calculated?

The vertical velocity of a soccer ball can be calculated using the formula v = u + gt, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds.

3. What factors affect the vertical velocity of a soccer ball?

The vertical velocity of a soccer ball is affected by factors such as the initial force or kick applied to the ball, air resistance, and the gravitational pull of the earth. The surface and texture of the ball can also have an impact on its vertical velocity.

4. Can the vertical velocity of a soccer ball change during flight?

Yes, the vertical velocity of a soccer ball can change during flight due to external forces such as wind or the spin of the ball. It can also be affected by the shape and design of the ball.

5. How does the vertical velocity of a soccer ball impact its trajectory?

The vertical velocity of a soccer ball plays a crucial role in determining its trajectory. A higher vertical velocity will result in a higher arc and a longer flight, while a lower vertical velocity will result in a lower arc and a shorter flight. It also affects the height at which the ball crosses the goal line or reaches the intended destination.