Vertical Projectile Motion, Calculate height

In summary: Yes, so the second equation is 300 - ∆x = … ?and the first equation is ∆x = … ? :smile:For the second equation why can't I choose down as positive?you can, but it'll make things a bit more complicated (because you'll have to subtract g instead of adding it)if you're confused, just stick to the standard method for now, and you can experiment with different ways of writing the equations later :smile:Yes, so the second equation is 300 - ∆x = … ?and the first equation is ∆x = … ?So the second equation is 300 - ∆x = -150t + 1
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

A body is dropped from a height of 300 m. At exactly the same moment
another body is projected from the ground vertically upwards with a
velocity of 150 m.s^-1.

Calculate the …
3.2.1 time it will take for the two objects to reach the same height.

The Attempt at a Solution

delta x = vi*t + 1/2*g*t^2

for falling body:
delta x = 1/2*g*t^2....1

for projected body:
300 - delta x = 150t - 1/2*g*t^2...2

1+2

300 = 150t
t = 2's

Okay, so I know I will have to solve this simultaneously. I cheated a bit and got this answer from the memo, but I don't understand the second equation, which is the part about the 300 - deltax. Isn't delta x the same for both?, or is it because one is thrown up and the other down which is why they are not the same?, can somebody please explain the second equation to me, especially the 300 - deltax?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TheRedDevil18! :smile:
TheRedDevil18 said:
delta x = vi*t + 1/2*g*t^2

for falling body:
delta x = 1/2*g*t^2....1

for projected body:

your equations of motion are

x1 = 1/2*g*t^2....1

x2 = 150t - 1/2*g*t^2...2

when they meet, x1 = ∆x, and x2 = … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:

your equations of motion are

x1 = 1/2*g*t^2....1

x2 = 150t - 1/2*g*t^2...2

when they meet, x1 = ∆x, and x2 = … ? :wink:

Ok, I see, In order for x1 to be equal to x2, x2 would have to be 300 - Δx. So this is the height and not the displacement, right?. I mean it would be wrong to say that x1 = x2 because the displacement of x1 is not the same as the displacement of x2?. What about the signs?, do I not worry about the signs?

TheRedDevil18 said:
Ok, I see, In order for x1 to be equal to x2, x2 would have to be 300 - Δx. So this is the height and not the displacement, right?. I mean it would be wrong to say that x1 = x2 because the displacement of x1 is not the same as the displacement of x2?.

all correct :smile:

your standard equation assumes the position starts at 0, ie it is the displacement

we have to adjust the equation so that ∆x means the same thing :wink:
What about the signs?, do I not worry about the signs?

You must always always ALWAYS worry about the signs!

In this case, one of your displacements is measured upwards, and one downwards

if you had measured both upwards, the 300 - ∆x would instead be … ? :wink:

You must always always ALWAYS worry about the signs!

In this case, one of your displacements is measured upwards, and one downwards

if you had measured both upwards, the 300 - ∆x would instead be … ?

So if I take down as positive then shouldn't the second equation be 300 - Δx = -150t + 1/2*g*t^2, because initial velocity is upwards, so negative, and gravity is downwards, so positive?

TheRedDevil18 said:
So if I take down as positive then shouldn't the second equation be 300 - Δx = -150t + 1/2*g*t^2 …

(but wouldn't that give a different result? :confused:)

if both x1 and x2 are measured in the same direction ,

then (in terms of x1 and x2) you must have 300 = … ? :wink:

(but wouldn't that give a different result? )

if both x1 and x2 are measured in the same direction ,

then (in terms of x1 and x2) you must have 300 = … ?

If it where measured in the same direction then both displacements would be positive so it would be 300 = x1 + x2, but in this situation they are in opposite directions.

This is what I am confused about, If I take down as positive, then:

x1 = 1/2gt^2....1

For projectile going up (negative)

-x2(going up) = -150t(thrown up) + 1/2gt^2...2, gravity should be positive (down)

then 300 = 1/2gt^2 - 150t + 1/2gt^2

I know it doesn't make sense when I calculate the answer, but to me the directions do make sense or am I wrong?

TheRedDevil18 said:
If it where measured in the same direction then both displacements would be positive so it would be 300 = x1 + x2
No, that would be measuring them in opposite directions, each being 0 at time 0.
This is what I am confused about, If I take down as positive, then:

x1 = 1/2gt^2....1

For projectile going up (negative)

-x2(going up) = -150t(thrown up) + 1/2gt^2...2, gravity should be positive (down)
No, you don't want the minus sign in front of the x2. If x2 is measured as +ve down then it will take negative values. The RHS above will give you that. Putting the minus on the left as well will give +ve values for x2.

for falling body:
delta x = 1/2*g*t^2....1

for projected body:

Looking at those two equations it seems that for the falling body they took down as positive and for the projected body they took up as positve, because on the right hand side, their is a negative for gravity

TheRedDevil18 said:
Looking at those two equations it seems that for the falling body they took down as positive and for the projected body they took up as positve, because on the right hand side, their is a negative for gravity
Yes, and the delta x in each case is the distance the upper body falls.
Btw, the problem can be solved very simply by noting that the two have the same acceleration. What does that imply about the relative velocity?

Yes, and the delta x in each case is the distance the upper body falls.
Btw, the problem can be solved very simply by noting that the two have the same acceleration. What does that imply about the relative velocity?

Not sure, but maybe when they reach the same height their velocity relative to each other is 0 m/s?. For the second equation why can't I choose down as positive?. If I do it would effect the outcome.

TheRedDevil18 said:
Not sure, but maybe when they reach the same height their velocity relative to each other is 0 m/s?.

No, of course not … one is still going up, and the other is coming down fast! :rolleyes:

Think … when they reach the same height, what is their relative velocity? (use haruspex's hint)

No, of course not … one is still going up, and the other is coming down fast!

Think … when they reach the same height, what is their relative velocity? (use haruspex's hint)

I think it would be 150m/s, which is equal to the initial velocity of the body thrown up?

TheRedDevil18 said:
I think it would be 150m/s, which is equal to the initial velocity of the body thrown up?

that's correct :smile:

the relative acceleration is 0, so the relative speed is constant, ie 150 m/s !

does that give you a short-cut to finding the time?​

does that give you a short-cut to finding the time?

Im not sure how, maybe if I say that (Velocity of falling body) + (Velocity of body thrown up) = 150

And for this equation:
x2 = 150t - 1/2*g*t^2

What if I chose down as positive?, they seem to have chosen up as positive but down wouldn't work out, why?. Is it because x2 would be negative?

Last edited:
TheRedDevil18 said:
Im not sure how, maybe if I say that (Velocity of falling body) + (Velocity of body thrown up) = 150
No, we're dealing with relative velocity, i.e. the difference between them (assuming they're measured in the same direction). They start 300m apart and the relative velocity is 150m/s. So how long will it take to close the gap?

No, we're dealing with relative velocity, i.e. the difference between them (assuming they're measured in the same direction). They start 300m apart and the relative velocity is 150m/s. So how long will it take to close the gap

t = d/s
= 300/150
= 2's

But what about acceleration?, how can it be zero when it is still under the influence of gravity?

TheRedDevil18 said:
t = d/s
= 300/150
= 2's

yes :smile:
But what about acceleration?, how can it be zero when it is still under the influence of gravity?

this is relative acceleration

x1'' = -a
x2'' = -a

so x1'' - x2'' = 0

sp x1' - x2' = … ? :wink:

this is relative acceleration

x1'' = -a
x2'' = -a

so x1'' - x2'' = 0

sp x1' - x2' = … ?

Oh, I see where this is going,

x1' - x2'
= gt - (150 -gt)
= -150 m/s

Which is the relative velocity. Would this work for any problem, let's say, a ball was thrown up from a 300m high cliff and a second ball launched from the ground 1 second later at 50m/s. Calculate the time at which they meet?

yes, the relative velocity stays the same :smile:

TheRedDevil18 said:
Oh, I see where this is going,

x1' - x2'
= gt - (150 -gt)
= -150 m/s

Which is the relative velocity. Would this work for any problem, let's say, a ball was thrown up from a 300m high cliff and a second ball launched from the ground 1 second later at 50m/s. Calculate the time at which they meet?
Yes, but in this case you need to calculate the velocity of the first ball at the moment the second ball is thrown.

Ok, thanks guys for your help :approve:

Related to Vertical Projectile Motion, Calculate height

1. How do you calculate the height of a vertical projectile?

To calculate the height of a vertical projectile, you can use the formula h = v0^2*sin^2(θ)/2g, where h is the height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is considered the initial velocity in vertical projectile motion?

The initial velocity in vertical projectile motion is the velocity at which the object is launched or thrown into the air. It is typically denoted as v0.

3. How does the launch angle affect the height of a vertical projectile?

The launch angle, θ, directly affects the height of a vertical projectile. The higher the launch angle, the higher the maximum height the object will reach. This is because a higher launch angle results in a longer time spent in the air, allowing the object to reach a greater height.

4. How does the acceleration due to gravity influence the height of a vertical projectile?

The acceleration due to gravity, g, also has a direct impact on the height of a vertical projectile. As g is a constant value, increasing its value will result in a greater downward force on the object, causing it to reach a lower maximum height. Conversely, decreasing g will result in a higher maximum height.

5. Can the height of a vertical projectile be negative?

Yes, the height of a vertical projectile can be negative. This occurs when the object is launched at a downward angle, resulting in a negative launch angle. In this case, the object will reach a maximum height below the initial launch point, resulting in a negative height value.