Vertical & Horizontal Components of Acceleration (Upward Force)

In summary, a barge is being towed by horses along a canal with a force of 6200 N at an angle of 16 degrees. The barge has a mass of 2528 kg and an acceleration of 1.47 m/s2. Using the equations F sin θ = Fx, F cos θ = Fy, and F = ma, the net force of the water on the barge is calculated to be 2820.40 N. The barge is accelerating vertically because the horses are pulling it down the canal, not out of it. The force to the side of the canal gets cancelled out by the water or the side of the canal pushing back, resulting in only acceleration down the
checkmatechamp

Homework Statement

In the picture below, we see a scene from the days of yore. This is called a tow path and the situation is that a barge is being towed by some horses along the side of a canal. Let's say the horses pull with 6200 N of force at an angle of θ=16∘. If the barge has a mass of 2528 kg, and magnitude of its acceleration is 1.47 m/s2, find the magnitude of the force on the barge from the water.

Here's a picture of the angle between the rope and the barge. Assuming I'm reading it correctly, it's with respect to the vertical component (so the barge isn't too far behind the horses)

tow-path.jpg

Homework Equations

F sin θ = Fx
F cos θ = Fy
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Just to start off, I want to say that I figured out the answer, but I'm not sure why the answer is what it is.

I tried to calculate the horizontal component of the force applied by the horses (which would be 6,200 * sin 16, or 1,709.95 N). Then, the total force on the barge would be 3,716.16 N (due to F = ma). So the force on the barge should be the difference between the total force and the force applied by the horses, which was 2,006.21 N.

I sent this explanation to my professor, and he said that the acceleration is only happening in the y-direction. But that doesn't make sense, because the horses are dragging the barge in the x-direction. He said Fnet x would be 6200sin16 - Fwater x = 0 (which makes sense if there's no acceleration on the x-axis). Then he told me to figure out the equation for Fnet y, which would be 6200cos16 - Fwater y = 3,716.16 N (because F=ma).

So then I solved for Fwater x and Fwater y, and used the Pythagorean theorem to calculate that the net force of the water was 2820.40 N, which was the correct answer.

So ultimately, my question is: Why is the barge accelerating vertically instead of horizontally? It's not like the horses are pulling it out of the water. Unless the buoyant force is normally canceled out by the gravitational force, but the upward force exerted by the horses is causing upward acceleration. But then why is there no horizontal acceleration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Careful what you mean by horizontal and vertical. I think these refer to the horizontal and vertical directions in the diagram: horizontal being side-to-side in the canal, vertical being along it. After all, the horses are pulling the barge down the canal, not out of it. There is some force to the side of the canal, but this gets canceled by the water or the side of the canal pushing back, so there is only acceleration down the canal due to the force along the canal.

jackarms said:
Careful what you mean by horizontal and vertical. I think these refer to the horizontal and vertical directions in the diagram: horizontal being side-to-side in the canal, vertical being along it. After all, the horses are pulling the barge down the canal, not out of it. There is some force to the side of the canal, but this gets canceled by the water or the side of the canal pushing back, so there is only acceleration down the canal due to the force along the canal.

Ah, that makes sense why the blue strip in the diagram is where it is. Thank you so much for your help. :smile:

Related to Vertical & Horizontal Components of Acceleration (Upward Force)

What is the difference between vertical and horizontal components of acceleration?

The vertical component of acceleration refers to the change in velocity in the direction perpendicular to the surface of the Earth, typically known as the y-axis. The horizontal component of acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the change in velocity in the direction parallel to the surface of the Earth, typically known as the x-axis.

How do you calculate the vertical and horizontal components of acceleration?

The vertical component of acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and θ is the angle of the object's motion relative to the surface of the Earth. The horizontal component of acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = gcosθ.

What is the significance of the vertical and horizontal components of acceleration in physics?

The vertical and horizontal components of acceleration are important in physics because they help us understand how objects move in two-dimensional space. By breaking down an object's acceleration into its vertical and horizontal components, we can analyze its motion and predict its future position and velocity.

How does the vertical and horizontal components of acceleration affect projectile motion?

In projectile motion, the vertical component of acceleration is affected by the force of gravity, causing the object to accelerate downward. The horizontal component of acceleration, however, remains constant as there is no force acting on the object in that direction. This results in a curved path of motion known as a parabola.

Can the vertical and horizontal components of acceleration ever be equal?

Yes, the vertical and horizontal components of acceleration can be equal in certain situations, such as when an object is dropped from a height with no initial horizontal velocity. In this case, the vertical component of acceleration is solely due to gravity, while the horizontal component is zero.