Vertical elastic collision with spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ball being dropped onto a spring connected to a tray. The goal is to find the maximum compression of the spring if the collision between the ball and tray is totally elastic. The equation for conservation of energy is mentioned and the importance of choosing the correct plane of reference. The conversation also addresses the mass of the ball and the tray, as well as the velocity of the ball when it hits the tray. The correct answer is determined to be 5/6 m and the equation for conservation of momentum and energy is mentioned again.
Gothican
I don't usually ask questions here, but I've been stuck for a v-e-r-y long time on this problem.

It goes like this:
A ball is dropped 1 meter above a tray connected to a spring. This is what it looks like:

O

|____|
><
<>
><
<>Mass of ball - 1kg
Mass of tray - 5kg
Spring - K = 100 N/m

If the collision between the ball and the tray is totally elastic, what is the maximum compression of the spring?

Homework Equations

The velocity of the ball when it hits the tray is 4.47 m/s.

The probable equation would be something like this:
Up+Ek+Ee=Up+Ek+Ee
I just don't know what to put in.

I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks, Gothican

Edit: I'm using g=10

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT 3:
The following solution is invalid.Use conservation of energy, and be smart about your choice of plane of reference.

Try looking at the energy of the system at the initial state, and at the final state.
If we choose the plane of reference at the height of the maximal compression of the spring:Ei = Ug
Ef = Ue (Remember that the ball comes to a halt, so kinetic energy is eliminated, as is potential energy since the final state is at the plane of reference)

Try finding out what Ei and Ef are and plugging in all the data.

EDIT 1:
Whoops, didn't notice the tray had mass as well. In that case, you'll need to remember that the initial energy of the system includes the original compression of the spring, and the gravitational potential energy of the tray. You'll need to consider the forces acting on the tray to see what this original compression is.

EDIT 2:
My final answer was 0.551 meters, if you wish to compare.

Last edited:
Right, but what would be the difference between an elastic collision as in this case, and a plastic (inelastic) collision?

Oh, and your answer isn't right - it should come out at around 80 cm.

If the collision is totally elastic, the ball bounces off the tray. Find the velocity of the tray just after the collision.

Oh, I see, I assumed the collision was completely elastic. A case which also invalidates my assumption of conservation of energy, making my solution completely wrong.

I'm rather confused myself, now.

Y-E-S!
Got it.

Thanks Doc; I assumed at the beginning that there should be some movement together because there was a spring, but come to think of it, there really shouldn't be.

Correct answer - 5/6 m

Equation - Uelastic + Ukinetic +Ugravity = Uelastic

Gothican

Doc Al said:
If the collision is totally elastic, the ball bounces off the tray. Find the velocity of the tray just after the collision.

Does the tray not move at all?

It does - The ball hits the tray and then they each get different velocities figured out by the regular elastic collision equations:
V1 + U1 = V2 + U2
M1V1 + M2V2 = M2U2 + M1U1

Last edited:
RoyalCat said:
Does the tray not move at all?
Sure it does. Find its post-collision speed using conservation of momentum and energy.

Related to Vertical elastic collision with spring

1. What is a vertical elastic collision with spring?

A vertical elastic collision with spring is a type of collision where two objects collide in a vertical direction and the collision is elastic, meaning that there is no loss of kinetic energy. The objects involved in the collision are connected by a spring, which provides a restoring force after the collision.

2. How does a vertical elastic collision with spring differ from other types of collisions?

In a vertical elastic collision with spring, the objects involved are connected by a spring, whereas in other types of collisions, the objects may not be connected at all or may collide at an angle. Additionally, the objects in a vertical elastic collision with spring experience a restoring force from the spring after the collision, which is not present in other types of collisions.

3. What factors determine the outcome of a vertical elastic collision with spring?

The outcome of a vertical elastic collision with spring is determined by the masses of the objects involved, their velocities before the collision, and the spring constant of the spring connecting them. These factors affect the amount of kinetic energy and momentum transferred during the collision.

4. How is the momentum conserved in a vertical elastic collision with spring?

In a vertical elastic collision with spring, the momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. The spring provides a restoring force that allows the objects to exchange momentum without any loss.

5. What are some real-world examples of vertical elastic collisions with spring?

One example of a vertical elastic collision with spring is a bouncing ball. When a ball is dropped from a height and bounces back up, it experiences a vertical elastic collision with the ground. Another example is a pogo stick, where the rider jumps up and down using the spring inside the stick, which experiences vertical elastic collisions with the ground.