Vertical Circular Motion problem

In summary: Then the downward, toward the center, direction is negative.Fnet = mama = mv^2/rN-Fc = mv^2/rN = Fc + mv^2/rN = mv^2/r + WAnd you are there.
hey123a

Homework Statement

A motorcycle has a constant speed of 25.0m/s as it passes over the top of a hill whose radius of curvature is 126m. The mass of the motorcycle and driver is 342kg. Find the magnitudes of (a) the centripetal force and (b) the normal force the acts on the cycle

Homework Equations

Fc = (mv^2)/r
W = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for part a I got the right answer,
Fc = (mv^2)/r
Fc = 342(25^2)/r
Fc = 1696N => 1.70 x 10^3N

however for part b i got the wrong answer. this is my thinking
Since centripetal force always points towards the centre, and since the motorcycle is at the top of the hill, then the net force in the y direction is equal to = N-Fc-W
Therefore N = Fc + W
N = 1696 + mg
N = 1696 + (342)(9.8)
N = 5047.6
however the right answer is 1.66 x 10^3N

help please

Physics news on Phys.org
hey123a said:

Homework Statement

A motorcycle has a constant speed of 25.0m/s as it passes over the top of a hill whose radius of curvature is 126m. The mass of the motorcycle and driver is 342kg. Find the magnitudes of (a) the centripetal force and (b) the normal force the acts on the cycle

Homework Equations

Fc = (mv^2)/r
W = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for part a I got the right answer,
Fc = (mv^2)/r
Fc = 342(25^2)/r
Fc = 1696N => 1.70 x 10^3N

however for part b i got the wrong answer. this is my thinking
Since centripetal force always points towards the centre, and since the motorcycle is at the top of the hill, then the net force in the y direction is equal to = N-Fc-W
Therefore N = Fc + W
N = 1696 + mg
N = 1696 + (342)(9.8)
N = 5047.6
however the right answer is 1.66 x 10^3N

help please
I am not sure whether you are incorrectly trying to use Newton's first law when it should be his second, or else just misunderstanding the centripetal force concept. You correctly calculated the centripetal force, which is the net inward force comprised of the weight and normal forces. The centripetal force is not a force of its own. It is a net force which is the vector sum of the normal and weight forces in the inward direction.

PhanthomJay said:
I am not sure whether you are incorrectly trying to use Newton's first law when it should be his second, or else just misunderstanding the centripetal force concept. You correctly calculated the centripetal force, which is the net inward force comprised of the weight and normal forces. The centripetal force is not a force of its own. It is a net force which is the vector sum of the normal and weight forces in the inward direction.

Why is centripetal force not a force on its own? If centripetal force is the net inward force comprised of the weight and normal forces then,
Fc = N-W
N = Fc+W
and i still get the same thing? since the motorcycle is on top of the hill then normal force is upward and weight is downward hence the "N-W"

hey123a said:
Why is centripetal force not a force on its own? If centripetal force is the net inward force comprised of the weight and normal forces then,
Fc = N-W
N = Fc+W
and i still get the same thing? since the motorcycle is on top of the hill then normal force is upward and weight is downward hence the "N-W"
Net force always acts in the direction of the acceleration. The acceleration, centripetal in this example, is inward, or down. Thus the net force must be inward, or down. If the net force is down, the weight must be greater than the normal force, right?

PhanthomJay said:
Net force always acts in the direction of the acceleration. The acceleration, centripetal in this example, is inward, or down. Thus the net force must be inward, or down. If the net force is down, the weight must be greater than the normal force, right?

ok so if net force acts in the direction of acceleration, and centripetal acceleration is downward.
then fc is negative. so, -Fc = N-W
N = Fc-W

?? is this correct

You are continuing to treat Fc as a force of its own. It is not. Try Newton 2:

[itex] F_{net} = ma[/itex]
[itex] F_{net} = mv^2/r[/itex]
[itex] mg - N = mv^2/r[/itex]
[itex] mg - N = F_c[/itex]

Solve for N.

Note that the centripetal force is the net inward force that is the vector sum total, or net if you will, or resultant , of all forces acting in the inward direction. In uniform circular motion, the acceleration is inward, and the net force is thus inward, toward the center of the circle. Because the net force acts toward the center of the circle, it is called a centripetal, or center seeking, force.

PhanthomJay said:
You are continuing to treat Fc as a force of its own. It is not. Try Newton 2:

[itex] F_{net} = ma[/itex]
[itex] F_{net} = mv^2/r[/itex]
[itex] mg - N = mv^2/r[/itex]
[itex] mg - N = F_c[/itex]

Solve for N.

Note that the centripetal force is the net inward force that is the vector sum total, or net if you will, or resultant , of all forces acting in the inward direction. In uniform circular motion, the acceleration is inward, and the net force is thus inward, toward the center of the circle. Because the net force acts toward the center of the circle, it is called a centripetal, or center seeking, force.

In the equation Fc = mg - N
why is n treated as a negative

It is an arbitrary use of signage. N is treated as negative, up, and mg is treated as positive, down. Acceleration, which acts down, is then also treated as a plus.

You can reverse signs, using up plus and minus down, and get the same result. Looks like you tried that
ok so if net force acts in the direction of acceleration, and centripetal acceleration is downward.
then fc is negative. so, -Fc = N-W
N = Fc-W
but your algebra was not so good, should be N = W -Fc.

I find it easier to choose the direction of the acceleration as plus, but it is a personal choice that helps with minus sign errors. The choice however is yours.

Likes 1 person

Related to Vertical Circular Motion problem

1. What is vertical circular motion?

Vertical circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path in a vertical plane. It can occur when an object is attached to a string or rope and is being swung around, or when an object is moving in a circular path on a roller coaster track.

2. What is the difference between vertical and horizontal circular motion?

The main difference between vertical and horizontal circular motion is the plane in which the object is moving. In vertical circular motion, the object moves in a vertical plane, while in horizontal circular motion, the object moves in a horizontal plane. Additionally, the forces acting on the object may differ, as gravity plays a larger role in vertical circular motion.

3. How is centripetal force involved in vertical circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object moving in that path. In vertical circular motion, centripetal force is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path, as gravity is constantly pulling the object downwards.

4. How do you calculate the speed of an object in vertical circular motion?

The speed of an object in vertical circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = √(rg), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circular path, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the object is moving at a constant speed throughout the circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of vertical circular motion?

Some real-life examples of vertical circular motion include amusement park rides such as roller coasters and swinging pirate ship rides, as well as sports activities like gymnastics on the uneven bars and ice skating spins. Other examples include swings, pendulums, and the motion of a yo-yo.