Vertical circular motion minimum speed proof

In summary, the minimum speed required for a body to complete a vertical circle is (rg)^0.5. This can be proven using the equations for minimum speed as a function of angle and actual speed as a function of speed at the top of the circle. It can also be shown that the body will necessarily complete the first half of the circle reversed if it has reached the top with a velocity of (rg)^0.5, therefore ensuring that it will complete the second half of the circle as well.
Mad_Eye
hi,
i've read in a lot of places that the minimum speed fora body to "finish" a vertical circle is (rg)^0.5, but I've never understood why.. they assume the if the body passes the top, it will finish the whole circle.. but i can't actually see it... can someone explain/proof it to me?

secondly, is the mentioned speed is for the bottom or for the top?
this is the proof I've seen:
(the top point)
mg + N = ma
a = v^2 / r

assume N=0

mg = mv^2 / r
v = (rg)^0.5my problem is with this formula
a = v^2 / r

the acceleration is changing, thus this is true for momentary velocity.

so v = (rg)^0.5
must be for v of the top.. not the bottom...sorry about my english :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
v is the speed the object must have as it passes the top of the circle

for example, if it was 0 the object would just drop vertically to the floor...

YellowTaxi said:
v is the speed the object must have as it passes the top of the circle

for example, if it was 0 the object would just drop vertically to the floor...

fine, but why the body will necessarily complete the circle? (if the speed is such)
p.s. so it is possible the body get to the top point at speed 0? or any thing below (rg)^0.5 ?

Last edited:
Mad_Eye said:
fine, but why the body will necessarily complete the circle? (if the speed is such)
The top point is critical because v and a are minimal and Fg is acting fully to reduce N, therefore N is minmal. After passing the top v and a increase and Fg acts only partly to reduce N, so N increases too.
Mad_Eye said:
p.s. so it is possible the body get to the top point at speed 0? or any thing below (rg)^0.5 ?
No, it would fall off earlier.

The equation for minimum speed as a function of angle is:

v_min(ang) = (r*g*sin(ang))^0.5

ang = 0 when the body reaches a quarter of the circle
ang = pi/2 when the body reaches the top of the circle

The equation for actual speed as a function of v_top (speed at the top of circle) and angle is: (solved using conservation of energy)

v_act(v_top,ang) = (v_top^2 + 2*g*r*(1-sin(ang))^0.5

For the case of v_top = (r*g)^0.5, the plot of these two equations looks like this:

_|
_|._________________________________.
_|_._______________________________.
_|____._________________________.
_|_________._______________.
v|_________________.
0|______________________________________
_0________________pi/2_________________pi

ang

The top curve is actual speed. The bottom curve is minimum required speed. They meet at pi/2 (top of the circle) with the value of v = (r*g)^0.5. If you lowered the actual speed curve, the curves would intersect. The point at which they first intersect is the angle at which the body would fall. This is what "A.T." meant when he said "it would fall off earlier."

Last edited:
another way is you know if it falls, then it'll fall along a parabola not along a circle. So just compare the shape of the given parabola that would form (at that instantaneous velocity) if the circle wasn't there.

YellowTaxi said:
another way is you know if it falls, then it'll fall along a parabola not along a circle. So just compare the shape of the given parabola that would form (at that instantaneous velocity) if the circle wasn't there.

i've thought about it.. but that just a proof it won't fall at the top, but a moment after that, it has different velocity..

I meant you could take the velocity anywhere on the cirlce and show whether it's fast enough at that point to stay on the circle or fall parabolically inside of it.

Mad_Eye said:
but that just a proof it won't fall at the top, but a moment after that, it has different velocity.
yes, a higher velocity, resulting in higher centripetal acceleration and higher normal force. so it cannot fall anymore, if it got that far.

bluelava0207 said:
The equation for minimum speed as a function of angle is:

v_min(ang) = (r*g*sin(ang))^0.5

ang = 0 when the body reaches a quarter of the circle
ang = pi/2 when the body reaches the top of the circle

The equation for actual speed as a function of v_top (speed at the top of circle) and angle is: (solved using conservation of energy)

v_act(v_top,ang) = (v_top^2 + 2*g*r*(1-sin(ang))^0.5

For the case of v_top = (r*g)^0.5, the plot of these two equations looks like this:

_|
v|_________________.
0|______________________________________
_0________________pi/2_________________pi

ang

The top curve is actual speed. The bottom curve is minimum required speed. They meet at pi/2 (top of the circle) with the value of v = (r*g)^0.5. If you lowered the actual speed curve, the curves would intersect. The point at which they first intersect is the angle at which the body would fall. This is what "A.T." meant when he said "it would fall off earlier."

i've just thought about a simpler one..
so the body reached the top.. let's take what happened so far, in reverse.. now the body has velocity of (rg)^0.5 to the other side, mg is still downward.. we KNOW the body will complete the half circle reversed motion, because we've just seen it complete it...
now the second half of the circle, is exact the same as the first half reversed... so the body will necessarily complete the second half because we know it complete the first half reversed...

Mad_Eye said:
now the second half of the circle, is exact the same as the first half reversed... so the body will necessarily complete the second half because we know it complete the first half reversed...
Yeah, but how do you know that it can get to the top with v = (rg)^0.5 ? :smile: The analysis by bluelava0207 shows that.

A.T. said:
Yeah, but how do you know that it can get to the top with v = (rg)^0.5 ? :smile: The analysis by bluelava0207 shows that.

i know it can get to the top at (rg)^0.5, according to what I've write in the first post

Related to Vertical circular motion minimum speed proof

1. What is vertical circular motion minimum speed proof?

Vertical circular motion minimum speed proof is a mathematical derivation that determines the minimum speed required for an object to complete a vertical circular motion without falling off. It takes into account the radius of the circular path, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle of the circular path relative to the ground.

2. Why is it important to know the minimum speed for vertical circular motion?

Knowing the minimum speed for vertical circular motion is important for understanding the limits of an object's motion. It can also be useful in engineering applications, such as designing roller coasters or calculating the speed needed for a satellite to stay in orbit.

3. How is the minimum speed for vertical circular motion calculated?

The minimum speed for vertical circular motion can be calculated using the equation v = √(rgtanθ), where v is the minimum speed, r is the radius of the circular path, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the circular path. This equation can be derived from the centripetal force equation, Fc = mv²/r, and setting the force equal to the weight of the object, mg.

4. What are the assumptions made in the vertical circular motion minimum speed proof?

The vertical circular motion minimum speed proof makes the following assumptions: the circular path is frictionless, the object is a point mass, and there is no air resistance. These assumptions allow for a simplified mathematical derivation.

5. Can the minimum speed for vertical circular motion be greater than the speed of light?

No, the minimum speed for vertical circular motion cannot be greater than the speed of light. This is because the equation used to calculate the minimum speed is based on classical mechanics, which does not apply at speeds close to the speed of light. At these speeds, the principles of special relativity must be used to calculate motion.