Rock on Desk: How Is It Moving?

• Thread starter screwball
  • Start date
In summary, there is no definite answer to how the rock is moving as it depends on the reference frame being used. It can appear to be stationary or moving in various directions depending on the observer's perspective. At a molecular level, the rock is constantly moving due to molecular motion and gravitational forces. Ultimately, the concept of motion can be seen as subjective and can be viewed differently by different individuals.
screwball
ok say i have a rock sitting on my desk next to my computer. what are all the different ways it is moving? universaly*

i think about it a lot and a previous post gave me the idea to ask all of you. Would love to hear different perspectives:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
It can move any way you want if you choose the right reference system. How is it moving relative to what?

Well, yea...as the Earth is rotating is moving that way...as the Earth is going around the sun its going that way...as the solar system is moving around the galaxy, its moving that way...as the galaxy is moving in space, its moving that way...

But again, reference points...if ure sitting next to it, its not moving at all, which is as valid as if someone was flying by our solar system and saw the rock moving, but then u see the rock standing still and the person moving..yeah...*confuzzled*

yes, you can't answer this question without allocating a reference frame. Its an impossible question, because ultimate motion is governed by the boundaries of the universe. Can you invisage that?

I think not...

yeh thanks

forgetit

Or is that rock standing still and all other motion is happening around it?

If you have ever looked through a telescope at low power, say 10x, you can walk away from it for five minutes, return and it is still pretty much the same view as when you left, but raise the magnification to 150x and suddenly that star or planet that was centered a second ago is marching toward the side of the field of view and out of sight. Although the stars and other planets are moving relative to us, the motion we percieve as the stars moving is mainly the rotation of the Earth underneath of the telescope.

I believe this should go into the philosophy forum because if you are asking how it is moving, then that suggests you are the observer, and since you are there looking at it, in the same general reference frame, the rock is not moving whatsoever, unless a force is applied on it within your reference frame.

Rock is actually moving up (with acceleration about 9.8 m/s^2).

This is quite easy to detect by any accelerometer (like a mass on spring, or mass on a string - a pendulum, etc).

The rock is moving internally at a molecular level, with a random kinetic energy related to it's heat

And each proton/neutron/electron in it is likely just a motion of sub-stuff (vacuum? massless string? space-time?) in it, creating illusion of mass and of other quantities (charge, spin, etc). In reality there may be nothing "physical" in there.

Originally posted by Alexander
In reality there may be nothing "physical" in there.
...which is why this is a philosophical topic more than it is physics..

I would rather say "mathematical" instead of "philosophical".

What is really moving?

If you don't see it moving, then it's not moving. Well it's exerting a force on an object (table) and table is exerting a force back of same magnitude. It is rvolving with the earth. If Earth is frame of reference the rocks not moving but a force acts on t every single instant (it's weight). It depends on your frme of reference. If your frame of reference is let's say planet jupitur...then it's moving.:smile:

Originally posted by screwball
ok say i have a rock sitting on my desk next to my computer. what are all the different ways it is moving? universaly*

i think about it a lot and a previous post gave me the idea to ask all of you. Would love to hear different perspectives:smile:

It has obviously moved you...

Is motion real or unreal? Local or nonlocal? Why care?

Quiet

Great perfection can seem incomplete,
But does not decay;
Great abundance can seem empty,
But does not fail.
Great truth can seem contradictory;
Great cleverness can seem stupid;
Great eloquence can seem awkward;
Great questions can seem foolish.
As spring overcomes the cold,
And autumn overcomes the heat,
So calm and quiet overcome the world.

What is "Rock on Desk: How Is It Moving?"

"Rock on Desk: How Is It Moving?" is a scientific experiment that investigates the movement of rocks on a desk surface without any apparent external force.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the underlying physics and mechanisms behind the movement of rocks on a desk surface without human interference.

How is the experiment conducted?

The experiment involves placing a rock on a flat desk surface and observing its movement over a period of time. Various factors such as the desk material, humidity, and temperature are controlled to determine their effects on the movement of the rock.

What are some potential explanations for the movement of rocks on a desk?

One possible explanation is that microscopic air currents and vibrations in the desk surface may cause the rocks to move. Another theory suggests that variations in temperature and humidity on the desk surface can create small air pockets, causing the rocks to move. Some scientists also propose that static electricity or magnetism may play a role in the movement of the rocks.

What are potential applications of this experiment?

Studying the movement of rocks on a desk can have practical applications in geology, materials science, and fluid dynamics. It can also help us better understand natural phenomena such as landslides and rock avalanches.