Vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity

In summary, the particle moves at a constant rate of 9.4 m/s between two walls that are 18.4 m apart and has an acceleration of 3.6 m/s^2 in the direction parallel to the walls. When it hits the wall, it will have a speed of 14.85 m/s.
Robertoalva
1. (a) A particle travels horizontally between two parallel walls separated by 18.4 m. It moves toward the opposing wall at a constant rate of 9.4 m/s. Also, it has an acceleration in the direction parallel to the walls of 3.6 m/s^2, what will be it's speed when it touches the wall?

(b)At what angle with the wall will the particle
strike?

Homework Equations

v^2= vi^2 +2a(x-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

\
(a) the thing is like this, the body diagram shows that the particle takes a curve that is similar to a parabola, and that messes my mind.

I think they are asking just for the final velocity. correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Robertoalva said:
I think they are asking just for the final velocity. correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Yes they are asking for the final velocity. Show us some attempt so that we can help you with that.

The question states.."(b)At what angle with the wall will the particle
strike? ' What is the angle?

v^2=v^2+2a(x-xi)
v^2=(9.4)^2 +2(3.6)(18.4)
v^2=(88.33)+(132.48)
v^2=220.81
v=sqrt(220.81)

v=14.85 m/s

There's my final velocity, now to get the angle, do I use a formula for a projectile?

Last edited:
I don't think your vertical velocity is correct.
Ask yourself, how long to go from one wall to the other, then v = at.

Now with the two velocities, you can easily find the angle

Well, if I have to find a vertical velocity, I don't have time. And from one wall to another it says that the separation between the walls is 18.4 m.

Robertoalva said:
v^2=v^2+2a(x-xi)
v^2=(9.4)^2 +2(3.6)(18.4)
v^2=(88.33)+(132.48)
v^2=220.81
v=sqrt(220.81)

v=14.85 m/s

There's my final velocity, now to get the angle, do I use a formula for a projectile?
You are confusing a number of things. First, technically, velocity is a vector not a number. And you are combining "horizontal" and "vertical". The "18.4 m" distance is horizontal while the "4.6 m/s^2" acceleration if vertical.

Use the 18.4 m distance and 9.4 m/s constant horizontal speed to determine the time the particle takes . Use that time with the 4.6 m/s^2 vertical acceleration to determine the vertical speed when the particle hits the wall. Once you have both horizontal and vertical speeds when the particle hits the wall, use the fact that the tangent of the angle is "horizontal speed divided by vertical speed".

so for the horizontal part, I use x=xi + vit +1/2at^2 ? and vi=9.4 and v=9.4 also?

Last edited:
No, first find the time it takes to go from one wall to the other in the horizontal direction. Then once you have the time of travel, you can find the vertical velocity at the opposite wall using v = at.

please disregard the last post of mine, it was a brain fart. lol

i got t= 3.19s whit the formula sqrt(2(x-xi)/a) = t am I wrong?

You are complicating the problem. To get the horizontal time, use t = d/v. What is the distance between the walls? what is the horizontal velocity?

Then when you have the horizontal time use this time to find the vertical velocity. v = at.

ok, thanks. and wouldn't it be v= vi+ at?

The initial vertical velocity is 0 so its just v = at

i tried with v=vi+at and with v= at and it gives me the wrong answer what I'm doing wrong!?

What did you get for the time?
Then what did you get for the vertical velocity?

But remember, the answe3r is an angle not velocity.

in the part (a) they are asking me to find the speed of the particle when it touches the other wall.

t= d/v= (18.4m)/(9.4m/s)= 1.95s

v= at = (3.6m/s^2)(1.95s)= 7.02 m/s

Correct. Now you have the horizontal velocity, 9.4 m/s and the vertical velocity of 7.02 m/s.
HOw do you find the angle?

but duuuuuude! I'm telling you, they are asking me first for the speed when it touches the other wall! i need that first do i add both velocities?

You are correct. Speed and angle. You have two vectors that are 90 degrees apart. 9.4 in the x direction and 7.02 in the y direction. What is the resultant speed? Use the Greek formula. Then get the angle

so the speed would be just adding both velocities and for the angle is tan= y/x right?

the angle is correct but add the horizontal and vertical velocities vectorially.
Be careful which angle is requested. They are asking for angle with the wall!

ok i got the velocity, and the angle is with the wall so it means y-axis right? and it would be sin^-1(7.02) ?

The angle with the horizontal will be tan^-1(y/x) but the angle with the wall will be 90 - the angle with the horizontal.

Likes 1 person
thanks ! this problem is finally over!

Related to Vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity

1. What is the difference between vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity?

Vertical acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's vertical velocity over time, while horizontal velocity is the rate of change of an object's horizontal position over time.

2. How are vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity related?

Vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity are related through the equation a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. In other words, a change in vertical acceleration will affect the vertical velocity, which in turn may affect the horizontal velocity.

3. What factors can affect vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity?

Vertical acceleration can be affected by factors such as the force of gravity, air resistance, and the mass of the object. Horizontal velocity can be influenced by factors such as the presence of friction, wind, and the shape of the object.

4. How can vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity be calculated?

Vertical acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in vertical velocity by the change in time. Horizontal velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in horizontal position by the change in time.

5. What is the significance of understanding vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity?

Understanding vertical acceleration and horizontal velocity is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately predict and describe the motion of objects, and is crucial in designing and building structures and vehicles that can withstand different forces and velocities.