Einstein and the photoelectric effect

In summary: The only difference I found was that "unaccurate" is slightly more commonly used in British English, while "inaccurate" is more commonly used in American English. However, both are considered standard forms in both dialects.In summary, the photoelectric effect was a well-known phenomenon before Einstein's paper in 1905, but his model using Planck's quanta provided a better explanation and made additional predictions. Millikan, initially skeptical, conducted experiments that confirmed Einstein's model and its predictions. Both "unaccurate" and "inaccurate" are valid variations of the word, with "unaccurate" slightly more commonly used in British English and "inaccurate" in American English.
broegger
Most physics books says something like this on the photoelectric effect: "the photoelectric effect provided strong evidence of the particle nature of light - and it eventually led Einstein to propose that light consisted of discrete packets of energy (photons) in 1905."

I have been told, though, that this is a very unaccurate description of the actual historical development.. Apparently the photoelectric effect was known long before Einstein's paper in 1905 and therefore there must be some other proposed explanations.. I think there was a guy named Millikan who had another theory (which also explained the E=hf-W condition for electron emission) and therefore didn't accept Einsteins hypothesis.. Can anyone enlighten me on this (especially Millikans theory)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why you say that is "very unaccurate". It SAYS that "eventually" Einstein proposed that light consisted of discrete packets. I wasn't able to find any webpages specifically on that but the one at
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:-0rIAcRfcnAJ:www.physics.purdue.edu/~sergei/classes/phys342l/photoelect.pdf+Photo-electric+Millikin&hl=en

cites the paper by Einstein in 1905 and one by Millikin (not Millikan) in 1916, 11 years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
broegger said:
Most physics books says something like this on the photoelectric effect: "the photoelectric effect provided strong evidence of the particle nature of light - and it eventually led Einstein to propose that light consisted of discrete packets of energy (photons) in 1905."

I have been told, though, that this is a very unaccurate description of the actual historical development.. Apparently the photoelectric effect was known long before Einstein's paper in 1905 and therefore there must be some other proposed explanations.. I think there was a guy named Millikan who had another theory (which also explained the E=hf-W condition for electron emission) and therefore didn't accept Einsteins hypothesis.. Can anyone enlighten me on this (especially Millikans theory)?

1. Einstein did not do any experimental work. He was a theorist.

2. The photoelectric effect was a well-known phenomena before 1900, the same way the blackbody radiation was a known phenomena. Both had NO satisfactory classical explanations.

3. Einstein's photoelectric effect model made use of Planck's quanta and were able to not only explain, but made additional predictions, of the photoelectric effect phenomena.

4. Millikan, who was skeptical of Einstein's model, made a series of very thorough experimental tests of that model.[1,2,3] He verified that using Einstein's model, the experimental data did indeed independently arrive at the same constant that Planck used in his Blackbody radiation spectra. He also verified (to his initial dismay) of practically ALL other predictions of the photoelectric effect model.

Zz.

[1] R.A. Millikan, Phys. Rev. v.4, p.73 (1914).
[2] R.A. Millikan, Phys. Rev. v.7, p.18 (1916).
[3] R.A. Millikan, Phys. Rev. v.7, p.355 (1916).

P.S. Regarding the correct spelling of Millikan's name, refer to those papers, or the Nobel Prize website:

http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1923/millikan-bio.html

Last edited:
Just a question about English:
Is there a nuance in the usage of the word "unaccurate" (which I haven't heard before), and the word "inaccurate"?

I didn't think "unaccurate" was the proper negation, but I didn't say anything because that is one of those distinctions English poses that doesn't make sense to me anyway (and which, incidently, I usually screw up myself unless my mother corrects me).

After an incomplete investigation, it seems that the two variations are both valid and indistinguishable.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This effect was first observed by German physicist Heinrich Hertz in 1887, but it was not fully explained until Albert Einstein published his theory in 1905.

2. How did Einstein contribute to our understanding of the photoelectric effect?

Einstein proposed that light is composed of discrete packets of energy called photons, rather than being a continuous wave. He also showed that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, and that this energy is transferred to the electrons in the material, causing them to be emitted. This explanation revolutionized our understanding of light and won Einstein the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1921.

3. Why is the photoelectric effect important?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, such as in solar panels, photoelectric cells, and photomultipliers. It also provided strong evidence for the particle nature of light and helped to develop the field of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the work function in the context of the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a material. In the photoelectric effect, the energy of a photon must be greater than the work function of the material in order to eject an electron. The work function varies depending on the material and can be determined experimentally.

5. Are there any limitations to Einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect?

While Einstein's explanation of the photoelectric effect is a significant contribution to our understanding of light and electrons, it does have limitations. For example, it does not fully explain the behavior of electrons in materials with different properties, such as metals and semiconductors. This led to further developments in quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of particles on a subatomic level.