Veritasium - Firing bullet in block - along center and away from cente

In summary, the video discusses two scenarios where a bullet is fired vertically into a wooden block from below. In the first scenario, the bullet is fired into the center of the block, causing it to rise into the air. In the second scenario, the bullet is fired off-center, causing the block to rise and rotate. The video asks for a prediction on which block will rise higher. The initial guess is that air friction decreases when an object is rotating, but upon further consideration, it is determined that this is not true. Momentum is conserved in both cases, but the energy loss due to friction is less in the off-center collision, allowing for both linear speed and rotation to occur.
cupid.callin
This question is about this video on YouTube, in which a bullet is fired vertically into the center of a wooden block from below, sending the block up into the air. Next, a bullet is fired vertically but off-center into a similar block from below, again causing the block to rise into the air, but simultaneously to rotate. The video asks for a prediction as to which block will rise higher.

Please also post your initial guess along with answer.

My first guess was that air friction decreases when object is rotating, but now I think that's not true (is it?).

Someone please shed some light on this.

Is it possible that the first bullet went deeper inside the first block and thus the first block had lesser kinetic energy than expected?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cupid.callin! :smile:

hint: consider momentum, consider energy :wink:

(i think you can ignore air resistance)

I know that momentum will be conserved and this in both cases linear momentum will be same after and before the collision, But I am having second thoughts about this idea, is linear momentum conserved even if angular momentum is present?

I mean, suppose that energy L is lost due to inelastic collision. So for first case,

[itex]PE_i + KE_i = PE_f + KE_f + L [/itex]

Suppose that just before collision, Center of mass is at zero potential level

[itex]K = P + L [/itex]

For second case,

[itex]PE_i + KE_i = PE_f + KE_{f,translational} + KE_{f,rotational} + L[/itex]

and if we consider same as above,

[itex]K = P + KE_f,rotational + L[/itex]

Then only explanation I can think of is that L is not same in both cases and that bullet goes deeper in first case

hi cupid.callin! :smile:
cupid.callin said:
I know that momentum will be conserved and this in both cases linear momentum will be same after and before the collision, But I am having second thoughts about this idea, is linear momentum conserved even if angular momentum is present?

yes, linear momentum is always conserved in collisions

(in any direction in which there is no external impulse)

Then only explanation I can think of is that L is not same in both cases and that bullet goes deeper in first case

i think you can assume that the energy loss is the same in both cases

ok, you know that the initial momentum (after the collision) is the same in both cases

so you know that the initial energy (after the collision) is also the same in both cases

sooo … :wink:

tiny-tim said:
i think you can assume that the energy loss is the same in both cases
No. There is less loss of energy in the off-centre case. That is how it is possible for the linear speed to be the same yet rotation also to occur.

haruspex said:
No. There is less loss of energy in the off-centre case. That is how it is possible for the linear speed to be the same yet rotation also to occur.

Good answer! Energy loss due to friction MUST be less in the off-center collision. Momentum conservation demands it.

Related to Veritasium - Firing bullet in block - along center and away from cente

1. What is the purpose of the experiment with firing a bullet in a block?

The purpose of the experiment is to investigate the concept of conservation of angular momentum. By firing a bullet into a wooden block, we can observe how the block and bullet move in response to the transfer of angular momentum.

2. How does firing the bullet along the center of the block differ from firing it away from the center?

Firing the bullet along the center of the block results in the block and bullet moving together in a straight line, as the angular momentum is evenly distributed throughout the system. Firing the bullet away from the center causes the block to rotate in the opposite direction of the bullet's motion, as the angular momentum is not evenly distributed.

3. What factors affect the outcome of the experiment?

The size and weight of the block, the speed and weight of the bullet, and the distance of the bullet from the center of the block can all affect the outcome of the experiment. The surface friction of the block and the angle at which the bullet is fired can also play a role.

4. How does this experiment relate to real-world applications?

The concept of conservation of angular momentum is observed in many real-world applications such as gyroscopes, satellites, and figure skating. Understanding this concept can also help in designing more efficient and stable systems.

5. Can the experiment be replicated at home?

While it is possible to replicate the experiment at home, it is not recommended due to the potential dangers of firing a bullet. It is best to leave this experiment to trained professionals in a controlled environment for safety reasons.