Verifying the Velocity of a Roller Coaster Train

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the velocity of a roller coaster train as it reaches the top of a vertical part of the track. Two methods are provided, both resulting in a velocity of 22.84 m/s. The person asking the question is not sure if the answer is correct, but both methods seem to be consistent.
Luke1121
I've got an answer to a question but I'm not sure if it's correct as i don't have the answers.

A roller coaster train is propelled at 57m/s and towards a vertical part of track which has a height of 139m, what is the velocity of the roller coaster train when it reaches the top of the tower?
I got that:
Ek=Ep so
1/2mv^2=mgh so m's cancel so 1/2v^2=gh
so in relation to the questiom
1/2(57)^2=1/2v^2 + gh (because energy is conserved so potential energy must be added)
Then
1624.5=1/2v^2 + 1363.6
290.9=1/2v^2
etc, etc and ended up with 22.84 m/s but I've no idea if this is correct as I've never come across a question like this before. does this seem right? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct.

I think it's right, I am getting the same answer. But, I did it using a different method:
v2=u2+2as

u=57 m/s
a=-g
s=139 m
(we have to find v)

I got the same answer as you.

Based on your calculations, it seems that the velocity of the roller coaster train when it reaches the top of the tower is approximately 22.84 m/s. This makes sense as the train would lose some of its initial velocity due to the force of gravity pulling it downwards. However, in order to verify this velocity, it would be important to consider other factors such as air resistance, friction, and the shape of the roller coaster track. These factors can affect the actual velocity of the train and may need to be taken into account for a more accurate calculation. Additionally, it would be helpful to have data or measurements from an actual roller coaster ride to compare with your calculated velocity. Overall, your approach to solving the problem using the conservation of energy principle is correct, but it may need to be refined and validated with additional information.

Related to Verifying the Velocity of a Roller Coaster Train

What is the process for verifying the velocity of a roller coaster train?

The process for verifying the velocity of a roller coaster train involves several steps. First, the train's speed is measured using a specialized device, such as a radar gun, as it travels along the track. Then, the train's velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This calculation is repeated multiple times to ensure accuracy.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the velocity measurement?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the velocity measurement for a roller coaster train. These include air resistance, friction between the train and track, and external forces such as wind. Additionally, the weight and position of passengers in the train can also impact the velocity measurement.

How do you account for these factors when verifying the velocity of a roller coaster train?

To account for these factors, scientists use sophisticated equipment and techniques to accurately measure the train's speed. This can include using advanced radar technology to minimize the impact of air resistance and accounting for the weight and position of passengers by performing multiple velocity measurements with varying passenger loads.

Why is it important to verify the velocity of a roller coaster train?

Verifying the velocity of a roller coaster train is important for several reasons. Firstly, it ensures the safety of the riders by ensuring the train is traveling at a safe and consistent speed. Additionally, it allows for accurate calculations of the train's kinetic energy and forces so that engineers can design and maintain the ride accordingly.

Are there any regulations or standards for verifying the velocity of a roller coaster train?

Yes, there are strict regulations and standards set by governing bodies such as the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA). These regulations require roller coaster trains to undergo regular velocity verifications and set limits for maximum speeds and accelerations to ensure the safety of riders.