Verifying Results w/ Newton's & Energy Laws: Justifying Hypotenuse=D

• Thread starter ChaoticNeutralStuden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy Laws
In summary, your results are right, but the explanation of how you got there doesn't make much sense.
ChaoticNeutralStuden
Homework Statement
A block of mass m is released from rest at the top of a ramp with a slope angle θ and height h. The friction between the block and the ramp is small and can be disregarded. After descending the ramp, the block travels a horizontal distance D (in this section the friction is not negligible) until it comes to rest. Determine, using the information given above, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal plane using:
A) Newton's laws.
B) The energy equations.
Relevant Equations
Newton's laws equations & energy equations
omg.png

Using the Newton's laws my result was h/hypotenuse and using the energy equations my result was h/D. My results are right ? And if so, how i justify the hypotenuse = D . Sorry for the bad english, the homework was poorly translated.

Physics news on Phys.org
ChaoticNeutralStuden said:
Using the Newton's laws my result was h/hypotenuse and using the energy equations my result was h/D. My results are right ? And if so, how i justify the hypotenuse = D . Sorry for the bad english, the homework was poorly translated.
Your answer is right (probably... see below), but your explanation of how you got to it makes no sense. How did you get h/hypotenuse from Newton's laws without even knowing what distance 'hypotenuse' refers to in this case?
Please show your working.

There is one awkward thing about the question: it shows the ramp turning to horizontal abruptly. In practice, that would mean an impact; only the horizontal component of velocity would be conserved. But you are probably expected to treat it as a smooth transition.

Using Newton's Law :
At the first moment(ramp):
ΣFx : m*g(sin θ )=m*a
a= g*(sin θ )
ΣFy = N-mg(cos θ )= 0
N=mg(cos θ )
When the block starts to travel D
ΣFy = N-mg=0
N=mg
Friction force = N*uc
Friction force = mg*uc

ΣFx : m*g(sin θ )- mg*uc =0
m*g(sin θ )= mg*uc
uc=sin θ
sin θ = h/ hypotenuse
uc= h/ hypotenuse

Using energy equations
At the first moment:
W = m*g(sin θ ) * h/sin θ = mgh
mgh = mv^2/2
v = (2gh)^(1/2)
When the block starts to travel D:
W= -(m*g*uc*D) = - (mv^2)/2

mgucD = m(2gh)/2
uc=h/D

I tried to type my working because I'm without my cellphone to take pictures of my notebook at the moment, I don't know if it's understandable, I considered the hypotenuse by getting the result of the coefficient of kinetic friction = sin θ, and by that considering sin θ = h/hypotenuse. And yeah, we should consider as a smoth transition.

ΣFx : m*g(sin θ )- mg*uc =0
Those two forces act at different times and in different directions . It makes no sense to add or subtract them.
I tried to type my working because I'm without my cellphone to take pictures of my notebook
Good! Images are supposed to be for textbook extracts and diagrams only.

Likes ChaoticNeutralStuden
haruspex said:
Those two forces act at different times and in different directions . It makes no sense to add or subtract them.

Good! Images are supposed to be for textbook extracts and diagrams only.
So... I'm kinda lost now, how do I find the coefficient of friction using the Newton's law in this situation? I considered that a force of the same magnitude of mgsin θ was acting when the block reachs the beginning of the horizontal plane. I know i can reach the result by using kinemactic equations but I don't know if this is what the professor wants...
Edit :
If I considered :
ΣFx : - mg*uc = m *a
and a = ( g(sin θ ) ) , what is wrong with this?

Last edited:
Think about energy.

Related to Verifying Results w/ Newton's & Energy Laws: Justifying Hypotenuse=D

1. How do Newton's laws and energy laws relate to verifying results with hypotenuse=D?

Newton's laws and energy laws are fundamental principles in physics that can be used to verify results when solving problems involving hypotenuse=D. Newton's laws state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This can be applied to verify the forces acting on an object along the hypotenuse=D. Energy laws, specifically the law of conservation of energy, state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. This can be used to verify the energy changes along the hypotenuse=D.

2. Why is it important to verify results using Newton's laws and energy laws?

Verifying results using Newton's laws and energy laws is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the results. These laws are well-established and have been extensively tested, so using them to verify results adds credibility to the findings. Additionally, these laws provide a comprehensive understanding of the physical principles at play, allowing for a deeper analysis of the problem at hand.

3. How does the Pythagorean theorem relate to verifying results with hypotenuse=D?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem can be used to verify the length of the hypotenuse=D in a problem. By using the Pythagorean theorem, the calculated length of the hypotenuse can be compared to the actual length, providing further validation of the results.

4. Can verifying results with Newton's laws and energy laws be applied to any problem involving hypotenuse=D?

Yes, verifying results with Newton's laws and energy laws can be applied to any problem involving hypotenuse=D. These laws are universal principles that apply to all physical systems, so they can be used to verify results in any situation where the hypotenuse=D is a factor.

5. Are there any limitations to verifying results with Newton's laws and energy laws?

While Newton's laws and energy laws are powerful tools for verifying results, they do have some limitations. These laws are based on idealized situations and do not take into account factors such as friction, air resistance, and other external forces that may affect the results. In some cases, more complex equations and models may be necessary to accurately verify results. Additionally, these laws may not be applicable in extreme situations, such as at the quantum level or in the study of black holes.